Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
https://nanowrimo.org/participants/omnikin

I added a bunch of you in 2015- updated about 4k words on the website and maybe made it to 10k over the next two months on my own. This year I'm going less serious

Mother

loving

Cat

Hitman

Imagine a feline with steel claws and a three inch razor tucked into its fluffy tail. That's where I'm going this November. CHOO CHOO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I have a cat in mine too! If he lives or not will depend on my feelings towards my own, real life cat.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
https://nanowrimo.org/participants/spokes

Here's me. I wrote about 8k last year but it felt like a slog because i was writing something really stupid.

I'm not going to learn from my mistakes, though, because i'm a moron!

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Spokes posted:

I'm not going to learn from my mistakes, though, because i'm a moron!

Learning from your mistakes is way overrated anyway. Always Be Stupid is my motto.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
two thousand words!

And I'm out of ideas!

Time to throw in some gargoyles into my noir thriller. Let's shake this bitch up.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

I'm really glad Stranger Things 2 came out last month because the soundtrack owns while still being atmospheric enough that it doesn't distract me too much. I'm writing something with a bunch of mythological creatures and monsters so it gets me in the right mood too. I've been looping the Nier Automata soundtrack for months now, so having something new for a change is nice too.

What do you all usually listen to for writing? Tone-setting music? Whatever you'd normally listen to when not writing? Cold, dead silence?

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

melodicwaffle posted:

I'm really glad Stranger Things 2 came out last month because the soundtrack owns while still being atmospheric enough that it doesn't distract me too much. I'm writing something with a bunch of mythological creatures and monsters so it gets me in the right mood too. I've been looping the Nier Automata soundtrack for months now, so having something new for a change is nice too.

What do you all usually listen to for writing? Tone-setting music? Whatever you'd normally listen to when not writing? Cold, dead silence?

I have three playlists (so far). I also have a noice making app, with just rainfall, crickets, fire, that sort of thing.

I have a non words playlist , all soundtracks (including stranger things!) and Ambient style music. That’s my deep focus, if I’m having trouble playlist. I have one playlist it’s an hour and a half of pop and dance music if I’m dial down and going. And lastly, I have a 12 hour playlist of music that I enjoy that’s good for just mixing it up, On shuffle. The playlist also has songs the main characters in one of the romances I’m writing for Nano.

Word count update. 2000 so far, but it’s early in the afternoon. Hoping to get another 10,000 before I crash tonight.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I do a fair amount of data entry at work and when it's heavy (like the upcoming holiday season) I'll throw on KPop or JPop and let it rip. Not understanding the words helps

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
For my current story I have two tastes: swing/jazz from around the 1920s or stuff that sounds like it, and a Norwegian alt-rock group called Kaizer's Orchestra. I tend to write in silence but those are great for setting the mood, and if I have music going while I write it can't have words in it. Way too distracting.

Already at about 1400 words. I'm on track to meet or beat last year's score on this day, which was 2k.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

I have a couple playlists of random music, generally upbeat stuff but no particular genre, which I set on shuffle. Lyrics are fine, but nothing with a narrative.

Once I'm fully in the groove, though, I can take or leave music. It can even be a relief to turn off the music after an hour or so and just coast on my own concentration.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Ending the day at 4,499 words. Holy poo poo I haven't written this much in a single day since NaNo 2012 I think. I actually don't think my story is too terrible, so far, either.

I really hope I don't end up tanking immediately on day 2.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

6,167 for day one. I’ll do better tomorrow

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
Got 2272 before I had to go to work last night. I'm staying abreast of the curve but not by much. I'll have to see if I can develop a good buffer over the weekend.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
400 on my lunch break and added another 900 after the baby went to sleep. I'm hoping to stay on that pace for workdays and really use Saturdays/Sundays to crank out several thousand at a time

Also I went back to my 2015 novel and realized I wrote about 27k words through November 20th- I honestly have no recollection of doing it. Maybe I can make it this time!

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

2022 today, which brings me to a nice round total of 6500. I'm glad to keep a buffer up and hoping to increase that this weekend, especially with the bonus hour from Daylight Savings ending. :thumbsup:

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

Sitting--spread across two projects--at 6625 on day two.

ETA:

LionArcher posted:

Just checked out their stats. Pfff. Bring it on this year. I’m writing at least three books at 150,000 minimum

The year I wrote 165K and won on day 8 was my first Nano on SA and right after I lost my job. I will never achieve those depths of depravity again, though currently my "it's really four books now on one doc" novel is sitting pretty at 300K with 5 years of work and meticulous planning.

You do you. I hope you break 150k and then some.

ETA 2: I was bored, IRC exists, I created the channel #TheWritersSA, I somehow am in charge of this

People can join and bitch about nano or any other writing project, I'm generally chill unless you pull some bigoted crap.

Nethilia fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 3, 2017

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Well, I'm a writing newbie that's never attempted writing anything nearly this long outside of a research paper for school.

I'm excited to actually get my story out of my head, I have a friendly rivalry with someone who has been writing for a long time now. Should be a fun challenge!

If you wanna watch a good be way over his head and fight to keep up in the race against time, watch this guy:

https://nanowrimo.org/participants/shamtown

Gonna try to stay even with the goal tonight, but my weekend starts now, so I plan on getting ahead over the next couple days!

:toot:

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
+1k, total around 2400 right now. Behind schedule but expected. My office is nearly empty tomorrow so I'm hoping to get a quick outline done in the morning and do some 10 minute writing breaks in the afternoon to push it along. Just do it!

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

I'm not a particularly speedy writer, so being about 1,000 words ahead on day two is a big deal for me. Gotta go fastJust do it!

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Had a bad day. I’m at 10,000 so far. Only 4,000 today. Total slacker. I’ll pick up speed tomorrow

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
gently caress it, let's do this. https://nanowrimo.org/participants/edward-tohr/

First year doing it, so I'll probably gently caress up, but eh.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Welcome to all the people just joining us :)

I hit 1966 today which means my buffer is continuing to grow despite working a lot of overtime lately. I'm hoping to get a lot done over the weekend, though. If there's one thing I've learned about doing NaNo, it's that the bigger the opening buffer, the better.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I broke 10k, not bad for day three. The plot hasn't actually started but I've learned I kind of need to write my way into it and the first few chapters tend to go in the trash on the second draft.

Rhymes With Clue
Nov 18, 2010

https://nanowrimo.org/participants/rhymeswithclue
Doing it. I have already lost 1200 of the 1600 words I wrote yesterday. They are somewhere in my new computer. I will search them down and find them eventually. Maybe in December. Meanwhile I am still counting them dammit.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

I suck and only wrote 128 words today. I'm too tired to try and make up for it right now so I'll just post here and cheer everyone else on.

You're doing great!!

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

okay. Finally did all my math, added up all my work.

Sitting at 10690 across both tasks.

Math is dumb and numbers are silly.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

At the end of the third day I have 5300 words and I think I might be able to do this.

And I better do this because I'm the kind of dude that doesn't do stuff often.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
5500 total so far. Not where I'd like to be but it's still on track so I can't really complain.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
6831. I've managed to stay afloat for the first week, but now we've hit the weekend. I might be in real trouble if I can't develop a working buffer now. This task is only made more difficult because I'm helping a friend with their Extra Life stream Saturday night into Sunday morning.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

I don’t mind that the NaNo website sent me an encouragement email for hitting 5,000 words, but I hope it doesn’t do it every 5 grand.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Mirage posted:

I don’t mind that the NaNo website sent me an encouragement email for hitting 5,000 words, but I hope it doesn’t do it every 5 grand.

It does

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

got to 10527 total today :woop: that puts me two days over schedule and I'm happy about it.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
I'm somewhere around the 12k-13k mark right now, because I decided that while 1667 words is my minimum target, I really wanted to try and go for at least 3k every day.

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

13K.

Had to fight for today's 2K. drat trips to buy food and poo poo taking extra time.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I keep meaning to post in this thread. I've also been meaning to do Nano since I was in high school but this is the first year I'm really making a go of it. Crappy fantasy novel, 7k so far.

https://nanowrimo.org/participants/arivia

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Only ~6,000 words to go to meet today's target! :shepicide:

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Managed to pop out another 2275 today bringing my total up to 12,802. :toot: I'll probably have to slow down my pace soon because work is going to pick up so I'm glad to have gotten a bit of a lead.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Edward_Tohr posted:

Only ~6,000 words to go to meet today's target! :shepicide:

Today's target is 8300 total, right? I'm in the same boat as you :love:

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I really outdid myself today. My word count is 9350. I think I might just do this! :unsmith:

I'm really finding my steam. The beginnings of my novel are the least interesting so now that I'm getting towards the middle I have more ideas and things to write about. Inspiration is coming to me faster.

Even if I don't do anything with this book, I'm still trying out new ideas and experimenting with some concepts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anais Nun
Apr 21, 2010
12402. I was using Nanowrimo to finish up some of the things I had half finished, and I've finished the first one! 74k novel, done. :dance: Now watch me slack off tomorrow.

• Locked thread