Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

And I understand if you ask
Was this life,
was this all?
Congrats! I know a few people here were using Nano to finish stuff like that.

I've just popped 9k total. Still ahead of the curve but not as far as I'd like to be, which is making me grumpy. I have an outline, I feel like I should be going a lot faster than this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

1733. My "smallest" day so far, but it was also my busiest and I had to run errands and stuff. It's still above target though :unsmith:

Congrats to everyone making progress!

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
1899, my first day over goal. Really feeling the story open up now, I don't think I'm going to have a problem meeting goal for a week or two

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

Went a touch under 2.5k. Total sitting at 18,888 because I like pretty numbers.

I've spent a lot of my focus on the 2009 Nano rewrite, which I'm doing from the bottom up. (Printed out Draft 1, made a bullet point list, and then rewrote the outline.) It's nice making things a little more subtle than I did before. But I've put a couple thousand in 2012's massiveness and some in 2016's/last year's.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I clocked in at the end of this night at 10800, surpassing my first 10K milestone, so yeah I'm doing way better than the other few times I've tried this.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Just about to cross 20K. So close to double the daily goal but I don't have another 1667 in me tonight.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Missed yesterday but I got back on the wagon and did another 1700. I just have to keep going at an okay pace and I should be okay.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
11846 as of last night. The buffer I made over the weekend was not as big as I wanted it to be, so it will only take one bad day to put me under. Still, I will persevere.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Took a little time off yesterday to watch an episode of "American Gods" and barely made the day's quota as the price of my laziness.

I'm about one full day ahead of the game, word-count-wise, but I want to keep pushing forward so I won't feel beholden to write a lot on Thanksgiving.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

oh christ I forgot thanksgiving exists, and I've got a wedding I have to go to this month too, naturally for someone I barely know. guess I'm gonna need that 2-day buffer I've got going on...

I've been pretty bad about writing during the day but have managed to get about 2000 words done in two or three hours in the middle of the night. I normally struggle just to do 1000 in that amount of time, so I'm pretty happy I've been able to achieve some consistency. And I haven't reached the point yet where everything in the story collapses on itself, but I'm just waiting for it...

Side note, if you're in the US consider taking a break and going out to vote!!

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

melodicwaffle posted:

Done! Even though it was just for mayor and city commissioner of my tinyass podunk town. At least I got the sticker.

I managed to pop out 1920 words in under two hours today. My total is 16455 which means I'm about three days above par and I'm happy with that. I would really love to widen the lead even more just in case.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
2189, second day above average. Hoping to utilize more writing sprints on breaks at work and keep the solid late night sessions rolling.

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

melodicwaffle posted:

Vote By Mail > Everything Else.

Sitting at over 21k.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

Was this life,
was this all?
I wrote a thousand words yesterday, using up my tiny buffer. I'm gonna have to really get cracking today if I want it back up.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Alright, 1653 words today. It's a tiny bit off goal but I'm coming down with a cold and also I reached the end of a scene so I decided to call it a night.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Been doing terrible, word count the past couple days has been under 1000. Not for lack of time, it just feels like I'm slamming my head into a wall. I'm still overall above par but I won't be for long if this keeps up.

CantDecideOnAName
Jan 1, 2012

Was this life,
was this all?
Just ran out of my cheat sheet of what I had planned, so now I actually have to do planning on what I'm going to write next. This is gonna hurt, and I really wish I had more of a buffer so I wouldn't have to worry.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I have 8000 words so far, so y’all’re doing better than me.

I really wish I’d done more prep work, I still don’t really know what this book’s about.

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

26200. It was 26199 but one word to a nice round number? Yes plz.

Or as CantDecideOnAName said:

ooooooh
you're halfway there
OOHHHHHH
WRITING ON A DAAAARE

:toot:

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

lifg posted:

I have 8000 words so far, so y’all’re doing better than me.

I really wish I’d done more prep work, I still don’t really know what this book’s about.

That's 8000 more than a lot of folks have, at least!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
10,560, making this the longest thing I've ever written for fun.

I ended up stopping in the middle of a scene, which I wasn't a huge fan of but it was time to stop for the day.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008
It's better to stop in a place where you know exactly what's going to happen next. That way when you next sit down to write you can finish up that scene to build up your momentum for the rest of the session. That's how it has worked out for me, anyway.

Anais Nun
Apr 21, 2010
Just passed 15k. Couple of days of lazy eroded my buffer so I'll have to work to get it back. Also loving the usual random Nanowrimo pep talks from authors you've either never heard of or thought were dead. Today I learned that Dean Koontz is not only still alive but thriving and sporting a luscious mane of 2009 Justin Bieber hair.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Hit 16,667 last night. Third of the way there!

I've been setting writing milestones the way some joggers set running ones. Hit 1,200: Okay, it hasn't been easy, but surely I can poop out another 400! Hit 1,667: Yeah, I'm at the daily goal, but what's another 333 at this point?

Meanwhile, my Switch with Super Mario Odyssey lurks at the edge of my peripheral vision. One of these days, baby.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I'm past the 15K mark and I'm going to try to get in another 1.6K words before the end of the day to really keep the lead on this thing. Luckily I'm getting to the part of my story where things are getting more interesting.

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
Right now I've passed the 27k mark, hoping to hit 30k soon. I've been hitting at least 3k a day this past week, up until last night, which was only 2k.

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

Wrote 1847 words today bringing me to a total of 19,955. So close to that 20k.

TheArchimage posted:

It's better to stop in a place where you know exactly what's going to happen next. That way when you next sit down to write you can finish up that scene to build up your momentum for the rest of the session. That's how it has worked out for me, anyway.

I actually have a hard time doing this because I'm so forgetful that I just forget the rest of scene entirely if I try to stop halfway through.

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007
13,166 after day 9, and that's with not writing a single word last Saturday or Sunday. I've been about to punch out around 2k words a day otherwise, nibbling off at the deficit.

What the story about? No idea, I'll let you know when I do. So far I've blown up a giant water reservoir in Siberia and melted a gym bunny somewhere in the US. Now we're off to the Paris opera...

Nethilia
Oct 17, 2012

Hullabalooza '96
Easily Depressed
Teenagers Edition

25313 in the main project (which is taking over) and 29123 total. I've broken the "less than 1k a day to finish by the 30th" barrier.

I always feel several good "this is going well" points during Nano that the site doesn't always doc. The first moment of rolling into 10k, the 12.5 "quarter mark", the first time that it goes over 20k (but not yet 25k), and the moment I have "you need less than a thousand words a day to hit goal" are the ones I've got so far.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I think I hate my main character. She's such a snobbish jerk.

melodicwaffle
Oct 9, 2012

Call or fold?

Figured out how to sync my work on scrivener for editing elsewhere, so I've been on pc during the day and on jotterpad at night in bed. It's been a tremendous help and I was able to pick up the pace last night, bringing me to about 18.5k total.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

I...planted some veggies. That I am going to eat instead of junk food because they will be more convenient than a food app.

In terms of making general positive progress in my life, this is my most successful NaNoWriMo yet, so I refuse to feel like I've failed myself.

Heck, there's still a chance for the novel/game/fanfic (you see one of my problems) until the 1st of December slams into the present, yes?

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

2081 today! I'm at 22,036 total and I'm feeling good about getting to the halfway mark this weekend.

Nethilia posted:

and the moment I have "you need less than a thousand words a day to hit goal"

god, this is SUCH a good feeling.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Arivia posted:

I think I hate my main character. She's such a snobbish jerk.

Why's she so snobby?

My guy just started turning to alcohol to help sleep through the shame of his failures, and now he's about to receive a lot of praise for "rescuing" someone who he was actually going to let die (He just happened to be around when the help arrives). He does not feel great about it.

I'm sticking with the daily minimum, going to hit over 16,667 words total tonight and it feels great! I've never written this many words on a single project in my entire life, I'm pretty sure.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Antiquated Pants posted:

Why's she so snobby?

My guy just started turning to alcohol to help sleep through the shame of his failures, and now he's about to receive a lot of praise for "rescuing" someone who he was actually going to let die (He just happened to be around when the help arrives). He does not feel great about it.

I'm sticking with the daily minimum, going to hit over 16,667 words total tonight and it feels great! I've never written this many words on a single project in my entire life, I'm pretty sure.

She's literally a spoiled princess. Luckily her lady-in-waiting seems to finally be getting through to her (they're cooped up in a thieves' guild underneath the capital city after a revolution marched on the royal castle and slew the rest of the royal family.)

I'm at 12,600 myself.

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Arivia posted:

She's literally a spoiled princess. Luckily her lady-in-waiting seems to finally be getting through to her (they're cooped up in a thieves' guild underneath the capital city after a revolution marched on the royal castle and slew the rest of the royal family.)

It'd be easy to ask, "Why hasn't this made her harden up and grow up?"

But the way I see it - albeit from this limited description - it's precisely because she's lost everything that she might double down on her insufferable behaviour. It could be the one part of her routine she's desperately trying to keep normal as a method of keeping herself together.

If she has to (for example) brush her own hair, it's because something bad has happened. If her lady-in-waiting brushes her hair, it means things are or will be okay. Therefore, she insists that her hair be attended to.

Denial is a hell of a drug.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I just dipped to 988 words per day to finish on time. :hf:

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I was burning the midnight oil and got up to 18,3K. If I get 20K done tomorrow (or later today, rather) then I'll have successfully lapped this baby! :iamafag:

SafetyTrain
Nov 26, 2012

Bringing a knife to a bear fight
At 18, 507 words right now. I keep swinging back and forth on the daily requirement, writing less one day and making up for it the other. poo poo's fun tho. Gone from wondering if I can even put words together this year to actually doing this NaNoWriMo-thing pretty well.

This is my profile link if you want to add me (please fill up my empty friends list) https://nanowrimo.org/participants/message-delivered

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikestaff
Feb 17, 2013

Came here to bark at you

2248 today! That brings me up to 24,284 total and I'm super ready to hit the halfway point tomorrow.

This year is less of a struggle than it usually is. I always win, but usually it's a lot more pain than it is this time around. I think it's because I'm working on a piece that was already in-progress when November hit, so I've already done most of the plot and am zeroing in on the ending. Thanks for that rule change, NaNo!

• Locked thread