Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
https://nanowrimo.org/participants/miriable

My buddy list is 99% goons. If you've been in these threads in previous years, you may find to your surprise that I'm already on your list.

This'll be my tenth year/ninth try. My idea this year is fairly dumb, but interesting enough that I probably won't crap out while writing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

strangeconcoction posted:

Can I just say that to me you nanowrimo people are something like gods?

Yes. You can.

(You know there's no reason not to try, right?)

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

My main advice: Never, ever go back. When you finish a passage, it's locked. If you want to change a word or two, or some punctuation, in that last sentence you wrote, don't. Even if it's the biggest wad of poo poo and you're embarrassed to look at it, DO NOT REVISE. At least, not right now. Your job right now is vomiting words. Editing is for the future.

The only time I ever break this rule is if I see something in a previous passage that needs more explanation, because hey, more words. However, inserting words into a passage like this takes more thought than crapping out a bunch of text, so it's still not the best brainpower-to-word-generation ratio. I'll still do it, but at least I feel guilty about it.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Spokes posted:

I'm not going to learn from my mistakes, though, because i'm a moron!

Learning from your mistakes is way overrated anyway. Always Be Stupid is my motto.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

I have a couple playlists of random music, generally upbeat stuff but no particular genre, which I set on shuffle. Lyrics are fine, but nothing with a narrative.

Once I'm fully in the groove, though, I can take or leave music. It can even be a relief to turn off the music after an hour or so and just coast on my own concentration.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

I'm not a particularly speedy writer, so being about 1,000 words ahead on day two is a big deal for me. Gotta go fastJust do it!

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

I don’t mind that the NaNo website sent me an encouragement email for hitting 5,000 words, but I hope it doesn’t do it every 5 grand.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Took a little time off yesterday to watch an episode of "American Gods" and barely made the day's quota as the price of my laziness.

I'm about one full day ahead of the game, word-count-wise, but I want to keep pushing forward so I won't feel beholden to write a lot on Thanksgiving.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Hit 16,667 last night. Third of the way there!

I've been setting writing milestones the way some joggers set running ones. Hit 1,200: Okay, it hasn't been easy, but surely I can poop out another 400! Hit 1,667: Yeah, I'm at the daily goal, but what's another 333 at this point?

Meanwhile, my Switch with Super Mario Odyssey lurks at the edge of my peripheral vision. One of these days, baby.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Over the hump! Three days early! H'ray!

I'm also not nearly as far into the story as I'd expected. Typical NaNo overwriting, I expect. "He glanced at the clock. Nine fifteen. He sighed and stared at the wall for what he felt would be at least ten minutes, then checked the clock again. Nine seventeen. What the hell, internal clock. He doubled down and stared even harder at the wall until he was certain, certain ten minutes had passed. One more look. Nine twenty-one. poo poo." Continue for three hours.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

I use Google Docs for the login-and-go portability. Unfortunately, by the time I get to around page 100 Docs starts chugging, so I create a new file and go from there. It's not super ideal but it works.

I've been flirting with buying Scrivener for ages, but I really enjoy the freedom of being able to pound out some words at work, at home, on the iPad, etc. without having to install anything.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Congrats Neth!

I was three-and-a-half days ahead, but problems with the stupid Real World dropped me today to only three days ahead. But I did I hit 30 grand, so that's better than a poke in the eye.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Grand Fromage posted:

I have also hit 50. :hf:

Um, sorry to tell you, but the goal is 50 thousand.

congratulations all you winners

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Sorry, CDOAN. I know how you feel, I've scuttled the NaNo ship as many times as I've won. Sometimes life overtakes you, and even when it doesn't, not every idea deserves a novel.

This year I'm learning a lot about my own process. For the first hour or so in front of the computer, I'm lucky to squeeze out 200 words, with lots of fits and starts and ughs and arghs and clutching of hair in hands. Then it's 600 to 800 an hour until I get exhausted. Cold starter, I guess.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Less than 8,000 words to the end. Feels like pooping out a bowling ball good man.

All year I've been writing a little every day, like 2-300 words a night, just to keep my hand in. But NaNo is a whole 'nother level that makes me feel like my brains are beings squeezed out of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

Yes! Another NaNo win. As a prize, I got a book I've already read.

Squeaked in right before midnight, proud of my 2,000 word per day count, then added 20 words after midnight and now my daily count is 1,973. Grrrr.

But on the upside, my wife will get to see my face again. So that's nice.

• Locked thread