Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Famethrowa posted:

Murakami really likes his seductive mysterious 16 y/o schoolgirl tropes for his older narrator to feel uneasy and horned up about. I gave up on IQ84 for similar reasons.

Nothing has lived up to Hardboiled Wonderland for me

The only other Murakami I've read is Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki, so the trope I've picked up on between these two titles is "dude gets blown in a dream".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

pretty much every Oulipo writer is a cool dude(ette), like Perec, Queneau, Garreta, etc

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That’s Stephenson’s entire style. He dropped the MMO plot of Reamde super early even though it was the most interesting part of the book, and the only thing that stopped it from being entirely generic terrorist hunting.

Stephenson is a writer who's very interested in tech rather than a super techbro gamer so it's understandable; but it's wack that in Snow Crash he basically predicted Second Life and VRChat, but then the MMO in Reamde besides its terrain features is just Everquest mashed with the worst kind of Korean pay-to-win poo poo.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
The game in Reamde was supposed to be massively popular, but it just seemed like some flash in the pan MMO, that might be popular for a year or two and then make way for the Next New Thing.