Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

The Fountainhead. It's not only that Rand and her philosophy suck, she's a terrible writer too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

not sure why anyone would ever read one of her doorstops when you can glean what you need of her "philosophy" from Anthem, which is blissfully short

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Fun fact: Ayn Rand was the main influence for Andrew Ryan from the popular video game Bioshock hence the name similarity. Use this to impress at parties.

Also, I can’t get through the Bible but I’ve heard it’s a downer ending

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

oldpainless posted:

Also, I can’t get through the Bible but I’ve heard it’s a downer ending

For some of you, sure.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

oldpainless posted:

Fun fact: Ayn Rand was the main influence for Andrew Ryan from the popular video game Bioshock hence the name similarity.

wow thats crazY. hot take from 2007

quote:

bible

i literally cannot imagine pretending to be an educated person without having read the bible

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

i literally cannot imagine pretending to be an educated person without having read the bible

lol if you actually read the bible instead of reading summaries.

those genealogies and lists sure are meaningful :rolleye:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Not only are they meaningful, they are an infinitesimal proportion of the text.

Do you pride yourself on reading CliffsNotes generally or only for the big bad church book?

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Is this line of conversation supposed to be some "lol non-christians are illiterate savages" crap?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

xcheopis posted:

Is this line of conversation supposed to be some "lol non-christians are illiterate savages" crap?

That seems like a very rarely seen take on the internet in 2020

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Ras Het posted:

That seems like a very rarely seen take on the internet in 2020

A lot of people haven't read the bible because they aren't Christians. That doesn't mean they aren't educated and implying otherwise is pretty loving rude.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
There are huge swaths of the bible that are just really repetitive.

Leviticus has long lists of rules about what kinds of sacrifices to make in what situations, what kinds of incest are and aren't acceptable, etc. If you can read Leviticus without wanting to kill yourself, I'd be amazed.

Then there's psalms and proverbs, which are just big ol' lists, too. More interesting than lists of sacrifice rules, but still fairly repetitive. Some of the proverbs are interesting but once you read your hundredth proverb they start to blur together into meaninglessness.

Then there's the various books of the prophets in the old testament that are all basically exactly the same: oh no the babylonian exile is happening! it's because the hebrews have hosed up. here's a prophet who is going to teach them how to gently caress up less. no one listens to him/her and the exile continues. repeat like fifteen times. this is about half the length of the bible.

And then there's the gospels, which don't all have the exact same bits in them, but most of the stories are repeated at least two or three times.

All in all, it's an incredibly boring book to read cover to cover. Better, in my opinion, to read the more influential parts piecemeal. Fact is, most Christians haven't read very much of the bible, and very few have read it it cover to cover, and I don't really understand why anyone would expect every single "educated person" to have done so.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

lol

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Not only are they meaningful, they are an infinitesimal proportion of the text.

Do you pride yourself on reading CliffsNotes generally or only for the big bad church book?

it's an ancient text that glues together various ancient books of varying importance, amongst them, the iron age versions of the Domesday book.

Yes, I find it far more valuable to my time to read interpretations and scholarly discussions, like the Talmud, then the original. I am not a biblical scholar, and do not have the knowledge to really get my times worth out if it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The Talmud rules just for having a story where some Rabbis out rules-lawyer YHWH, who finds it hysterical.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

What a bunch of Goddamned philistines.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

xcheopis posted:

A lot of people haven't read the bible because they aren't Christians. That doesn't mean they aren't educated and implying otherwise is pretty loving rude.

It's not posting about other posters if you just take something someone said and say "all people who do that are morons".

for example, people who think those who haven't read the Bible are uneducated are consistently total poo poo heads and should shut the gently caress up.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I recommend everyone at least attempt to read the Bible if only to appreciate how nice it is to live in the 21st century compared to ye olden times.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

xcheopis posted:

whether you're Jewish christian or neither, knowledge of the Bible is an essential step for an educated person, and particularly for someone who's at all interested in Western literature, history, or religion. there are certain areas of knowledge you can't do without, and the Bible is the biggest of them. i'm sorry that this upsets you, but it's reality.

i cannot imagine the kind of half-literate idiocy it would take to label the psalms as "big ol' lists", nor can I imagine collapsing Jeremiah and Isaiah as "all the same" or whatever. no one said you had to memorize Leviticus, but pretending to be educated without having read at least part of the most important book in Western history is self-delusion. you don't need to believe in Zeus to recognize that a decent knowledge of the greco-roman pantheon is essential to understanding the subsequent ~2500 years of literary and artistic history

Famethrowa posted:

it's an ancient text that glues together various ancient books of varying importance, amongst them, the iron age versions of the Domesday book.

Yes, I find it far more valuable to my time to read interpretations and scholarly discussions, like the Talmud, then the original. I am not a biblical scholar, and do not have the knowledge to really get my times worth out if it.

god, you poor idiots. imagine trying to read the Talmud without having read the text on which it's an extended mediation, lmao. im assuming you also read the scholiast commentaries instead of Aristotle and Plato.

e: lol'ing at the thought that by "The Talmud" you mean the, like, Penguin Classics sparknotes version and not the actual Talmud, which is a collection of disparate texts by different authors in different languages, and which taken together is much, much, much longer than even the Christian Bible, even with the Apocrypha.

i understand that a lot of you are mad at your parents and have unresolved emotional issues related to your religious upbringing, but please recognize that this does not give you a pass on not having read the most important book in history

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

If you haven't just read Ezekiel or Revelation for the sheer insanity

Its how I kept sane actually during the mind numbing sermons

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
imagining a type of dude who thinks his opinion on modern Arab literature, history, art, and religion is well-informed but hasn't read the Quran

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
which is it, "knowledge of" or "having read"?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

This discussion is skirting the limits of the rules. Please remember to post about books rather than other posters, thanks.

Incidentally, there's an A/T thread about reading the Tanakh, which might be interesting to Famethowa in particular: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3916138

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.
I finished the The Oxford Annotated Bible and I feel better for it. I'm not going to think you're a dummy for not having read it. It's helped me find books that I decided to give up reading because they were crap, so I feel that this bad post is within the rules of the thread.

I had a friend ask me about why the Bible was important recently, and they didn't get it until I said the Matrix was a Jesus story (yes, this does happen). So, in the same way as Toni Morrison wrote her Master's thesis on Faulker, and Faulker read Melville, and Melville read the dang Bible, maybe we should also read the Bible...and if we're not careful, we just may learn something.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i am a book

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
and so are You

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

hallelujah posted:

i am a book

We should read the danged books.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Content: I tried to read Sapiens since my wife’s book club had that as a piece. She has since quit the book club. If you want to know whether or not a general history is okay, flip to something you know. His piece on Marx was completely backwards, and said that anti-Capitalists believe that there is a conspiracy at the top, when Marx makes it clear that there isn’t a conspiracy, but instead an evolutionary pressure that makes this process happen.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday

The North Tower posted:

Content: I tried to read Sapiens since my wife’s book club had that as a piece. She has since quit the book club. If you want to know whether or not a general history is okay, flip to something you know. His piece on Marx was completely backwards, and said that anti-Capitalists believe that there is a conspiracy at the top, when Marx makes it clear that there isn’t a conspiracy, but instead an evolutionary pressure that makes this process happen.

Everyone keeps pushing me to read Sapians and it sounds like its oversimplied poo poo.
Someone recomended me it on the basis thaf "he shows everything like society and politics is just a religion." Absolute nuclear hot take.

Am I being too critical?

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

god, you poor idiots. imagine trying to read the Talmud without having read the text on which it's an extended mediation, lmao. im assuming you also read the scholiast commentaries instead of Aristotle and Plato.

e: lol'ing at the thought that by "The Talmud" you mean the, like, Penguin Classics sparknotes version and not the actual Talmud, which is a collection of disparate texts by different authors in different languages, and which taken together is much, much, much longer than even the Christian Bible, even with the Apocrypha.

i understand that a lot of you are mad at your parents and have unresolved emotional issues related to your religious upbringing, but please recognize that this does not give you a pass on not having read the most important book in history

lol you alright buddy? I read pages of the Talmud in discussions in a religious class because I'm interested in my history as a jew. I'm pretty well versed in the bible because I've studied it a lot, but reading it cover to cover would waste my time unless I was trying to flex. A summary of leviticus and its prohibitions, unless I was a biblical scholar whose life goal was to understand its every line intimately, serves just fine.

The bible is not nearly as meaningful read in this way as reading primary source Plato or Aristotle translations are, because again, many portions of the bible are essentially ancient ledgers. Interesting, because it gives an interesting look at Levantine daily life, but not meaningful.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Famethrowa posted:

lol you alright buddy?

chernobyl kinsman never mentally recovered from botl's perma

also he's in education so i imagine he's under a bit of stress, what with the plague and all

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

The North Tower posted:

I had a friend ask me about why the Bible was important recently, and they didn't get it until I said the Matrix was a Jesus story (yes, this does happen). So, in the same way as Toni Morrison wrote her Master's thesis on Faulker, and Faulker read Melville, and Melville read the dang Bible, maybe we should also read the Bible...and if we're not careful, we just may learn something.

As content, Moby Dick was the classic book that I bounced off of a long time ago, and it wasn't until I read Bartleby that I "got" Melville. I want to return to it really bad once I'm out of school.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
it is literally impossible to be even marginally literate in Western Culture without having read the bible

Doctor Faustine
Sep 2, 2018

Mel Mudkiper posted:

it is literally impossible to be even marginally literate in Western Culture without having read the bible

Honestly I feel like anyone who wants to consider themselves well-read in Western lit needs to have read at least the “greatest hits” of The Bible, the works of William Shakespeare, and Classical mythology. If you don’t have at least a working familiarity with those things, a metric fuckton of allusions are going to go completely over your head, and not just in literary fiction. This stuff is in practically everything.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What are the things in Western Culture that you just don't get if you haven't literally read the Bible start to finish?

In fact same to the above with Shakespeare. Show me some of these allusions that mean you're illiterate without having done so. Most people have a pretty broad working knowledge of both the Bible and Shakespeare's greatest hits.

(and yes I have read the Bible, as well as seen, read, and in fact performed in many of, Shakespeare's works)

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
You're missing the point

Its not about recognizing "allusions" like some kind of goddamn game of literary hide and seek

Its about the fact that you cannot meaningfully engage with the cultural conversation that defines pretty much the entirety of the Western narrative tradition with understanding the primary formative texts behind it.

You cannot understand why our culture and traditions are how they are without understanding what created them

I mean, the very core of our system of ethics is inescapably biblical and it comes into a greater focus when you read say, texts from cultures that might have a non-abrahamic religious history

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Mar 17, 2020

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
yes but you can be literate without having read the bible from start to finish

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Mel Mudkiper posted:

You're missing the point

Its not about recognizing "allusions" like some kind of goddamn game of literary hide and seek

Its about the fact that you cannot meaningfully engage with the cultural conversation that defines pretty much the entirety of the Western narrative tradition with understanding the primary formative texts behind it.

You cannot understand why our culture and traditions are how they are without understanding what created them

I mean, the very core of our system of ethics is inescapably biblical and it comes into a greater focus when you read say, texts from cultures that might have a non-abrahamic religious history

So by "Marginally literate" it sounds like you actually mean "A literary scholar."

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Someone upthread pointed out that they had to explain to a friend that The Matrix is a Jesus story. That's the kind of fundamental cultural literacy you're missing if you don't read the Bible.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

HIJK posted:

Someone upthread pointed out that they had to explain to a friend that The Matrix is a Jesus story. That's the kind of fundamental cultural literacy you're missing if you don't read the Bible.

That was me. You wouldn't believe what they thought about the Hamlet - Lion King connection!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

HIJK posted:

This I can agree with, but it hardly requires reading the Bible end to end to make that connection.