Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
It's really short and written in a casual style that makes it extremely easy to read. I can see why people might dislike the book but it seems surprising to me that people have apparently struggled to make their way to the end of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
it's also like six pages long

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I've got a couple:

Colonel Roosevelt, by Edmund Morris - This is the third part of his Theodore Roosevelt biography, covering his post-presidency to his death. I loved the first two, and the writing wasn't worse, but I found it very depressing to read a full length history of TR's decline, especially since his life up till that point had been about bulldozing over problems. I don't think I even made it to his failed re-election attempt in 1912.

Console Wars, by Blake Harris - I loved Masters of Doom, and I was on the lookout for other video game history/non-fiction. This one had good reviews, so I picked it up, but I hated it. It presents itself as narrative non-fiction where the author synthesized lots of interviews and filled in the gaps with well-researched best guesses, but it's written like a first timer's novel from someone who would much rather be writing screenplays. This book is seriously like 90 percent snappy incidental dialogue and punchy scene details, all of which add up to jack squat. Huge disappointment. I gave up four or five chapters in.

The Gunslinger, by Stephen King - This one I tried to read when I was eleven or twelve. I got to the part fifty or so pages in where the gunslinger aborts an obese nun's devil baby by loving her with the barrel of his revolver until she orgasms (this is from memory, if it's a little off.) Let's just say it wasn't what I was expecting. I might go back to it someday.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
I've read dense, challenging books, I've read terrible, irredeemable books, but the only book I absolutely couldn't finish was The Iron Dream. Sure, it's a parody and intentionally bad, but it's way too bad. I think I read until the start of the war or so, I still don't know how it ends

Randallteal posted:

The Gunslinger, by Stephen King - This one I tried to read when I was eleven or twelve. I got to the part fifty or so pages in where the gunslinger aborts an obese nun's devil baby by loving her with the barrel of his revolver until she orgasms (this is from memory, if it's a little off.) Let's just say it wasn't what I was expecting. I might go back to it someday.

I don't remember that part :stare:

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
Though I'm able to follow, appreciate and enjoy similiar books, I cannot wrap my head around Gravity's Rainbow. I've tried more than once.

hooked on Fauxnics
Dec 23, 2013

Randallteal posted:

Colonel Roosevelt, by Edmund Morris - This is the third part of his Theodore Roosevelt biography, covering his post-presidency to his death. I loved the first two, and the writing wasn't worse, but I found it very depressing to read a full length history of TR's decline, especially since his life up till that point had been about bulldozing over problems. I don't think I even made it to his failed re-election attempt in 1912.

This actually sounds really cool and good.

There's plenty of books I haven't finished because they got lost at some point and I haven't bothered to pick up new copies but the only book I think I've deliberately given up on was Un Lun Dun by China Miéville. I was a wee teen and my friend made it sound really neat and lent me his copy and I kept it for months after only reading out of it one time. I don't think he ever asked about it, nor do I remember what I told him when I gave it back.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich
That vampire trilogy I can't remember the name of..

Book one is basically jack the ripper

Book two is tittled The bloody red baron and is WW1

Book there is tittled Dracula cha cha cha, set in the 60s

The first two were great, set in our world, except Dracula is not killed by van helsing and is now openly out in English high society.

The last book is a garbled mess not connected to real history and Drac is murdered "off screen" by an unknown towards the end.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

504 posted:

The first two were great, set in our world, except Dracula is not killed by van helsing and is now openly out in English high society.

The last book is a garbled mess not connected to real history and Drac is murdered "off screen" by an unknown towards the end.

The question with these kind of books shouldn't be why you stopped reading them but more why you started in the first place

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

504 posted:

That's the Anno Dracula series by Kim Newman. Never read them, but I recognized the Cha Cha Cha title. I think it's supposed to be a Wold Newton type thing.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

A human heart posted:

The question with these kind of books shouldn't be why you stopped reading them but more why you started in the first place

my thoughts

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

hackbunny posted:

I don't remember that part :stare:

I don't either.

grumbster
Apr 19, 2004
Lord of the Fjord
I gave up on American Gods. It got so samey with them driving to all these old gods only to be rejected with the same "You can't stop what's coming", that I stopped caring about what the big payoff might be. Also, I got the distinct feeling that writing the gods into the modern world made Gaiman feel very clever, and that Gaiman is a guy who really gets off on feeling very clever.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

A human heart posted:

Because they were enjoyable? Why else does anyone read?

A nice fresh one "The massacre of mankind" by Stephen Baxter.

Written as a sequel to war of the worlds, Baxter tries to replicate the style of H G Wells and instead manages to produce a piece of "more English than the English" writing it takes an effort of the will to stay focussed on. Also, in this day and age, there is a deus ex machina.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

504 posted:

Because they were enjoyable? Why else does anyone read?

They don't sound enjoyable.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

A human heart posted:

Neither does anything given a 10 word description in a thread to complain about badly written books, Are you trying to sound cool? The goon mind hate of vampires inspired by Twilight ended a few years ago.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

*dislikes bad things*

woah now stop pretendign to be cool ,man

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

A human heart posted:

another constructive and worthwhile post, well done you

keep at it, i'm sure the next one will get em

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
They're actually really fun, especially if you're playing spot the reference. Newman is essentially a schlock scholar and can't resist showing it off whenever possible.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

504 posted:

Neither does anything given a 10 word description in a thread to complain about badly written books, Are you trying to sound cool? The goon mind hate of vampires inspired by Twilight ended a few years ago.

I'm not sure you get that guy's posting gimmick, friend

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Lightning Lord posted:

I'm not sure you get that guy's posting gimmick, friend

My gimmick is that I have opinions and say what they are on a discussion forum.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
I gave up reading this thread when I got to some moron making GBS threads on Anna Karenina.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

A human heart posted:

My gimmick is that I have opinions and say what they are on a discussion forum.

You're gimmick is making no contribution to a thread while trying to impress strangers by pretending you're to cool to like anything. You should piss off back to hot topic.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I'm certainly impressed by his hating

hooked on Fauxnics
Dec 23, 2013
A human heart actually likes plenty of things he just doesn't talk about them in the threads focused on things he doesn't like.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

What I always liked about Romance of Three Kingdoms is that I read it in high school after playing Dynasty Warriors on PS2 and was like "I know the book is gonna be nothing like the game but I still want to read it."

And then every chapter is like "Zhang Ye ran down on horseback and killed thirty men in one swipe" and I am like oh my god its just like the game

as someone who enjoys dynasty warriors in tyool 2017 - is it worth it

maybe not reading the whole thing cover to cover but is it interesting enough to justify trying it

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
It's definitely worth at least trying. Most of the great classical Chinese novels are basically two -fisted adventure fiction* and pretty compulsively readable. They even have cliffhangers:

quote:

”We have just rescued this menial in a bloody fight," cried Zhang Fei, "and now he is rude to us! Nothing but his death can slake my anger."

Zhang Fei stamped toward Dong Zhuo's tent, holding firmly a sharp sword...

Dong Zhuo's fate will be unrolled in later chapters.

That said, it's really loving long, and there are literally hundreds of different characters to keep track of, although most of them get murked within a few chapters of being introduced. If you're interested, the text is up on this strategy games site, with annotations by players of Dynasty Warriors and other games so you should feel right at home.

*except for Dream in the Red Chamber, that one's dull as poo poo

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
After blowing through the first three A Song of Ice and Fire novels in the span of a few months, I gave up reading A Feast For Crows fairly early on because the story went to poo poo and it was clear that GRRM would never finish the series, despite his protestations. I love the poo poo out of Game of Thrones, however, and I'm glad that's wrapping up next(?) year.

I quit reading Eragon about halfway through after I had it pointed out to me that the story was a straight rehash of Star Wars, and wasn't all that well written either. It's quite telling that the dude who wrote the Eragon books hasn't published another book in six years since he finished that series.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

nine-gear crow posted:

I quit reading Eragon about halfway through after I had it pointed out to me that the story was a straight rehash of Star Wars, and wasn't all that well written either. It's quite telling that the dude who wrote the Eragon books hasn't published another book in six years since he finished that series.
I had it given to me for a plane ride, trundled through it because why not, eventually picked up the sequel because why not, then gave up somewhere partway through that because loving why.

Then teenaged me found a whole community on the Internet for people who hated the books and had a couple years of really, really stupid fun.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

nine-gear crow posted:

After blowing through the first three A Song of Ice and Fire novels in the span of a few months, I gave up reading A Feast For Crows fairly early on because the story went to poo poo and it was clear that GRRM would never finish the series, despite his protestations. I love the poo poo out of Game of Thrones, however, and I'm glad that's wrapping up next(?) year.

My ex absolutely loved Eragon and insisted I couldn't possibly criticise it until I'd read it. I didn't even make it through the prologue.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

504 posted:

You're gimmick is making no contribution to a thread while trying to impress strangers by pretending you're to cool to like anything. You should piss off back to hot topic.

Wow you really destroyed him with this post there's no chance he's coming back from that.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Why don't you take your copy of Zettel's Traum back to Hot Topic, bitch

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CestMoi posted:

Why don't you take your copy of Zettel's Traum back to Hot Topic, bitch

I actually did have to stop reading that because it was too large to carry around and it had to go back to the library.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Couldn't fit it in the pocket of your skinny jeans?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

504 posted:

i can recommend not getting angry at opinions. it improves quality of life by a lot

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

ulvir posted:

i can recommend not getting angry at opinions. it improves quality of life by a lot

and so, inevitably, the "that sucks" shitpost is followed by the "u mad" shitpost. the cosmic ballet...goes on

anyway, for content: I have a feeling John Langan's "House of Windows" is going to end up on this list. I was impressed with "The Fisherman" but House is slow and saggy af. Also stop awkwardly inserting your ruminations about 9/11 into all your books, Langan

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

as someone who enjoys dynasty warriors in tyool 2017 - is it worth it

maybe not reading the whole thing cover to cover but is it interesting enough to justify trying it

The Chinese Classics are all worth reading

Well except for Dream of the Red Chamber

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
I'm going to read that one first

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Ras Het posted:

I'm going to read that one first

You never struck me as a fan of laborious stories of unrequited love

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

They fit the aesthetics of the mysterious and sensual orient

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CestMoi posted:

Couldn't fit it in the pocket of your skinny jeans?

Its a real struggle to be a hipster who also likes huge books let me tell you