Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I can't help but feel the Supergirl final season feeling kicking in. We've got a final run that's featuring our main characters sidelined while the second and third ranks fill time. We're limping to the finish line, and it seems vaguely awkward for everyone involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Rick Cosnett's doing some mighty fine scenery chewing.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

howe_sam posted:

Dude is going 110% and I love it

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

howe_sam posted:

This last season is reminding me that if they had half way competent writing this show could of been an all timer.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I can see Eddie get tempted, taunted and come so close to going all the way bad. But doing him like this seems like a betrayal of his whole first season arc. Oh well. One week left, one episode left. Let's hope they end strong, even if the journey has been fraught.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Eddie was screwed with HARD when he found out that his suicide to keep Reverse Flash from existing was essentially worthless. Though I guess the negative speed force needs that frustration to feed off of to make it stronger. I wonder what's gonna happen when Reverse Flash comes back to watch the final battle next week.

"I killed myself to prevent your existence, and yet here you are!"

"Yeah, well I wouldn't be much of a villain i let that get in my way!"

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Entertainment Weekly has a big long piece about Gustin and the end of show, which is mostly a nice retrospective, but does contain one bummer. Carlos Valdes wasn't able to come back for one last round of Lady Gaga karaoke.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Final trailer is out.

I like Ceclie's super hero outfit.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Mooseontheloose posted:

Final trailer is out.

I like Ceclie's super hero outfit.

Don't you mean "Virtue?" 😆

Of course the reason Reverse Flash helps out is because "THE FLASH'S LIFE IS MINE TO TAKE!"

Also Eddie's Avatar suit looks a lot like The Monitors.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
If your wife’s dead fiancé showed up with delusions of grandeur, you should call and warn her. Even if you’re in the future and your future wife thinks you’re in space.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

howe_sam posted:

Entertainment Weekly has a big long piece about Gustin and the end of show, which is mostly a nice retrospective, but does contain one bummer. Carlos Valdes wasn't able to come back for one last round of Lady Gaga karaoke.

A lot of "boy I am TIRED" in this piece. It feels like making the show really ground down the regulars.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Yannick_B posted:

A lot of "boy I am TIRED" in this piece. It feels like making the show really ground down the regulars.

Everyone on this show was loving tried as rear end of it like 4 years ago coming off of Crisis.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Yannick_B posted:

I mean to be fair, the show had no idea what to do after Crisis and it sounds like the show runners weren't the best people?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Yannick_B posted:

Nine years of 16 hour days, six days a week for nine months out of the year will do that.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

howe_sam posted:

Nine years of 16 hour days, six days a week for nine months out of the year will do that.

How the gently caress did the supernatural dudes do it for 15 and say they could have gone longer?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

GreenNight posted:

How the gently caress did the supernatural dudes do it for 15 and say they could have gone longer?

It looks like they filmed only on weekdays.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Kind of crazy Arrowverse dies this week.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
It really is, it’s been such a huge part of my life for a decade. At one point I was watching what - 4 shows a week?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

The Lord Bude posted:

It really is, it’s been such a huge part of my life for a decade. At one point I was watching what - 4 shows a week?

What amazes me more is that I think Flash was a show that was clearly kept alive by the power of its actors despite the just weirdness of some of the later seasons. Not to say that the other shows had bad actors but like their charm and chemistry kept it going.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mooseontheloose posted:

What amazes me more is that I think Flash was a show that was clearly kept alive by the power of its actors despite the just weirdness of some of the later seasons. Not to say that the other shows had bad actors but like their charm and chemistry kept it going.

Which itself is amazing because after Crisis it felt like it was the show that all of its involved actors wanted to keep doing the least, aside from like Batwoman where everyone on set literally hated one another by the time Season 1 was over.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

Which itself is amazing because after Crisis it felt like it was the show that all of its involved actors wanted to keep doing the least, aside from like Batwoman where everyone on set literally hated one another by the time Season 1 was over.

I have the feeling Candice Patton is writing a tell all in a few years about what happened.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Well today's the day where we finally see The Flash season finale. Perusing through various Flash actors Instagram pages shows some celebration. This is the most active I've ever seen Grant's IG profile. It looks like almost all the past villains are gonna show up tonight too. The only person we're missing is Carlos Valdez unless he makes a surprise appearance.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I'm gonna miss the Arrowverse a lot. Superman and Lois is great, don't get me wrong, but there were so many "holy poo poo" moments throughout this run that I never thought we'd see. I mean, we got a live action Crisis on Infinite Earths that ended with Oliver Queen becoming the Spectre. When Arrow first started they were worried about making the costumes too flashy and giving anyone superpowers, but look how far they came.

Yeah Flash got real bad at points, like when they weren't sure if the Forces were people or actual fundamental universal forces and sometimes the explanation differed from scene to scene, but the highs were totally worth it.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

A Fancy Hat posted:

I'm gonna miss the Arrowverse a lot. Superman and Lois is great, don't get me wrong, but there were so many "holy poo poo" moments throughout this run that I never thought we'd see. I mean, we got a live action Crisis on Infinite Earths that ended with Oliver Queen becoming the Spectre. When Arrow first started they were worried about making the costumes too flashy and giving anyone superpowers, but look how far they came.

Yeah Flash got real bad at points, like when they weren't sure if the Forces were people or actual fundamental universal forces and sometimes the explanation differed from scene to scene, but the highs were totally worth it.

I think the tough part of the Arrowverse is that when it was well written and on, it was amazing but when the writers were like I dunno maybe time travel again? It sucked.

The first 2.5 seasons of Arrow were top notch and Flash Season 1 is just so satisfying on so many levels.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I really enjoyed most of Arrows run (aside from Diaz) and I would have watched the hell out of a Birds of Prey Spin off.

Flash, Supergirl, and Legends lost me with all the stupid characters but I’ll be damned if the Arrowverse didn’t provide some top tier content for superheroes

1. Crisis on Infinite Earths is better than almost every recent DC film
2. jon Cryer is the best Lex I’ve ever seen
3. Beebo
4. Alice was the best character on Batwoman. Instead of killing off her alt universe self they should have used her to replace Ruby Rose and then brought in Javicia Leslie as another character. I’m in the minority that liked the later Batwoman seasons

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pillowpants posted:

I really enjoyed most of Arrows run (aside from Diaz) and I would have watched the hell out of a Birds of Prey Spin off.

Flash, Supergirl, and Legends lost me with all the stupid characters but I’ll be damned if the Arrowverse didn’t provide some top tier content for superheroes

1. Crisis on Infinite Earths is better than almost every recent DC film
2. jon Cryer is the best Lex I’ve ever seen
3. Beebo
4. Alice was the best character on Batwoman. Instead of killing off her alt universe self they should have used her to replace Ruby Rose and then brought in Javicia Leslie as another character. I’m in the minority that liked the later Batwoman seasons

I never watched them but I was under the impression that the later season of Batwoman were "good*", in that Javicia Leslie was a phenomenal improvement as Batwoman and as a show lead over Ruby Rose but the show just kind signed its own narrative death warrant by refusing to recast Kate Kane right up front.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Pillowpants posted:

Felicity nuking a small town was the way worse season because the writers decided that she needed to be awful and traumatized.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

nine-gear crow posted:

I never watched them but I was under the impression that the later season of Batwoman were "good*", in that Javicia Leslie was a phenomenal improvement as Batwoman and as a show lead over Ruby Rose but the show just kind signed its own narrative death warrant by refusing to recast Kate Kane right up front.

I wouldn’t call it good as much as improving from awful to kind of mediocre. It was def much more watchable in the final season but I could never recommend anyone spend their time watching any episode of Batwoman.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Batwoman was weird because season 2 seemed like they were going in a different direction for a hero with her being poor and disadvantaged as well as addressing stuff like police corruption. Then season 3 happened and Ryan is now super rich and they're right back to working for the cops.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Arrow's third and fifth seasons are some of the best DC content ever, full stop.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Seasons Three through Seven of Legends owned hard. They had the occasional poo poo episode, and one lovely finale, but they were pretty loving fun and the actors clearly had a ball. Great stuff.

I don't think anything else quite compared, though I've really only dipped in and out of the shows after Arrow Season Two.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

God drat, I kinda wish Rick Cosnett had stuck around after season 1. He's great and insane, cold calculating villain.

Narcissus1916 posted:

Arrow's third and fifth seasons are some of the best DC content ever, full stop.

Eh, the Season 3 Arrow finale falls flat with the fight between Ra's and Ollie.

edit: I miss zoom's blue lighting.

Mooseontheloose fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 25, 2023

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

muscles like this! posted:

Batwoman was weird because season 2 seemed like they were going in a different direction for a hero with her being poor and disadvantaged as well as addressing stuff like police corruption. Then season 3 happened and Ryan is now super rich and they're right back to working for the cops.

My memory is fuzzy, but wasn't Ryan being blackmailed into working with the cops?

They did absolutely turn it into a total soap opera with women in fancy dresses sniping at each other.

And there was a Bat Blimp.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I do appreciate that they tried to keep true to this show and Barry is trying to avoid killing people and try for something better, still contrasting to Ollie.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

There's still time to free the Legends from time jail :argh:

Okay, getting Jesse Martin to sing was a Good Decision.

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 25, 2023

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

howe_sam posted:

Okay, getting Jesse Martin to sing was a Good Decision.

Always.

Also, Caitlin's arch is one of the dumbest on television with no fault of Danielle Panabaker who tried.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Mooseontheloose posted:

God drat, I kinda wish Rick Cosnett had stuck around after season 1. He's great and insane, cold calculating villain.

Eh, the Season 3 Arrow finale falls flat with the fight between Ra's and Ollie.

edit: I miss zoom's blue lighting.

Crap i meant season 2. season three is the dumb one where Oliver is brought back by... chinese herbs?

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I’m so glad they got all of these season long baddies together in the last episode of the show so they could last five minutes.

Everything about this episode was unforgivable.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

muscles like this! posted:

Remember how Oliver used to murder rich people? That was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

RIP to the greatest episode of Arrow where Mayor Queen solved gun violence.