Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Racially motivated or not, it certainly is a class thing. Paying to be on the “best” club means you’re getting better education than the poors, and you only have to play with people of your status and be around people of your status. At least, that’s what the parents are thinking. I’ve met parents that don’t like other parent volunteers because “they’re involved with drugs” (not true) or “they don’t have the kids interests at heart” (one of our best volunteers), but it’s code for, “they’re poorer (and darker somehow) than us and must be a criminal because of it”.

It just so happens that most poors are non-whites. What a weird coincidence!

Soccer is really a rich kid’s sport in this country, where there aren’t economic limiters anywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
Wish I could think of a money making scam as good as AYSO making soccer equivalent to piano lessons or French classes for little Caleb and Tyler

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

African AIDS cum posted:

This is complete bullshit. They pay because they think they are getting better coaching for their kids. And because being on the "best" club is a status thing. It has nothing to do with race.

Ugh, I forgot this was your thing

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

joepinetree posted:

And it's just a coincidence that these paid clubs are nearly all white and middle class or above.

Middle class yes, white no. And I used to volunteer at the San Diego Surf cup. You are way off base. Here is one of the winning squads for example. http://events.gotsport.com/tools/thumbimage.aspx?src=/content/teams/teamphotos/t_793543.jpg&height=500&width=600 and there are plenty more like this. Total nonsense.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Guys, the entire US has the same demographic makeup as Southern California, and racism is not real. Just let this one slide.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Middle class wage earners are not "rich" and I realize you are childless and have no actual idea but there are pretty low barriers to entry to get your kid playing. Every "top" club has open tryouts and will give a scholarship etc if the kid is good enough. They will also recruit kids. The only need really is parental involvement. Our house cleaner has a couple kids on the "best" club around here and she isn't paying a dime. Some of these clubs are competitive with European academies. Its around age 14-15 where development falls off because they focus on ODP which is total garbage.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

African AIDS cum posted:

Middle class wage earners are not "rich" and I realize you are childless and have no actual idea but there are pretty low barriers to entry to get your kid playing. Every "top" club has open tryouts and will give a scholarship etc if the kid is good enough. They will also recruit kids. The only need really is parental involvement. Our house cleaner has a couple kids on the "best" club around here and she isn't paying a dime. Some of these clubs are competitive with European academies. Its around age 14-15 where development falls off because they focus on ODP which is total garbage.

lol the tough talking poo poo poster is a bourgie with a house cleaner, what a surprise

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Zhe’s got you there, Tom. Your argument is invalid

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
House cleaners are a common thing here in the first world.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

African AIDS cum posted:

Middle class yes, white no. And I used to volunteer at the San Diego Surf cup. You are way off base. Here is one of the winning squads for example. http://events.gotsport.com/tools/thumbimage.aspx?src=/content/teams/teamphotos/t_793543.jpg&height=500&width=600 and there are plenty more like this. Total nonsense.

Lol. Yeah, and in the US race and class are completely separate things.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

African AIDS cum posted:

Every "top" club has open tryouts and will give a scholarship etc if the kid is good enough. They will also recruit kids. The only need really is parental involvement
lmfao

i played in pay to play growing up this is hilariously detached from reality

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

joepinetree posted:

Lol. Yeah, and in the US race and class are completely separate things.

This kind of LF tier hyperpolitical whiny posting is extremely played out in 2017, let's stick to concrete facts

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

African AIDS cum posted:

This kind of LF tier hyperpolitical whiny posting is extremely played out in 2017, let's stick to concrete facts

I think you meant to post this in some poor woman’s Twitter DMs

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer

African AIDS cum posted:

That's the actual scam of travel teams, and not just soccer. They get the parents with too much money and an unrealistic view of their kids ability to subsidize the kids that are actually good. Not every hard luck kid can get a scholarship, so it still is a problem though.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I think we can all agree on one thing and that's that if American athletes like Hulk Hogan played football America would not have missed the World Cup

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

vyelkin posted:

I think we can all agree on one thing and that's that if American athletes like Hulk Hogan played football America would not have missed the World Cup

Oh Yeah!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
on the bright side, from 2026 onwards you guys won't have much trouble qualifying

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I think all of the discussion regarding the MLS just totally misses the point. The issue with producing good/elite soccer talent is that it has to start early, and the conversation needs to move away from either getting a result AND playing for fun. There needs to be a focus on developing fundamental skills at an early age that just doesn't happen in the United States. It's also not helped by High School or the NCAA where fitness rules everything and you are basically playing go route one chase the ball soccer with a focus on results. There are no developmental academies in the US worth a poo poo

I think another issue is how college is viewed in America. You basically have to go, which further delays a players development. By the time a skilled soccer player is 18-20 they should be training with the first team or getting blooded into games, but American kids are stuck running around empty bleachers in shared stadiums. At this point the battle is lost though. The kids have to get started technically at a very young age, and we just don't have the desire or infrastructure for it. I also don't think thats going to change

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

100% american tim weah is going to save the USA

Benjamin Arthur
Nov 7, 2012
lol that the :airquote: ironic :airquote: nazi gimmick poster is actually both a bougie gently caress and defensive about his racism

Benjamin Arthur fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 16, 2017

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Waroduce posted:

I think all of the discussion regarding the MLS just totally misses the point. The issue with producing good/elite soccer talent is that it has to start early, and the conversation needs to move away from either getting a result AND playing for fun. There needs to be a focus on developing fundamental skills at an early age that just doesn't happen in the United States.

I'm not sure where you think we've missed the point. These are all problems that are solved when professional clubs start running free-to-play academies and developing players properly, rather then all development being in the hands of private clubs and schools/colleges.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Yes it's not that promotion relegation or whatever will magically alone fix youth development in the US but there needs to be some form of pressure to force clubs to address the structures they use for finding and developing players and as long as MLS continues it's policy of pretending to be a real league instead of trying to be one clubs like DC United will exist being garbage in perpetuity and never once put the focus on changing anything.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
is america good at any team sports?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

RideTheSpiral posted:

ones we made, sure

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

RideTheSpiral posted:

Basketball

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

wicka posted:

Basketball

can't argue with that

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
usmnt is fail

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Benjamin Arthur posted:

lol that the :airquote: ironic :airquote: nazi gimmick poster is actually both a bougie gently caress and defensive about his racism

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
at least the u-17 team is bossing out right now :unsmith:

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

wicka posted:

I'm not sure where you think we've missed the point. These are all problems that are solved when professional clubs start running free-to-play academies and developing players properly, rather then all development being in the hands of private clubs and schools/colleges.

this is literally what MLS teams have been building for the last decade which is why i mentioned before they are making progress. The last year or two the first group of truly MLS academy grown players have begun to surface (not "homegrowns" as MLS defines them, but actually through a mls academy since they were like 12). Virtually everyone agrees the youth development of soccer in the u.s. sucks and MLS teams need to run academies from much younger up. Many are already actually doing that and most are building that system right now.

quote:

“With Kellyn [Acosta], with Paxton [Pomykal], with Jesus [Ferreira], with Jesse [Gonzalez], these guys have been in the academy for six or seven years and we are seeing them grow,” Clavijo said. “

As the academies have continued to evolve, however, teams are identifying talent at a younger age and bringing those players through the academy for multiple years. Part of that is due to the fact that the academies now extend into the U-12, U-13 and U-14 age groups – something that didn’t exist when the U.S. Soccer Development Academy was first founded. Some teams are also starting to invest more in youth scouting to find players earlier in their development and integrate them into MLS academies.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/features/rating-mls-academies-homegrown-players-youth-development-progress

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Donald Trump's 'tism kid is in the DC United youth system lmao

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
It’s fine, we have future Ballon D’Or winner Timothy Weah

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
America must never be allowed to host another World Cup.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
It’s almost like Klinsmann was right.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

G-Hawk posted:

this is literally what MLS teams have been building for the last decade which is why i mentioned before they are making progress. The last year or two the first group of truly MLS academy grown players have begun to surface (not "homegrowns" as MLS defines them, but actually through a mls academy since they were like 12). Virtually everyone agrees the youth development of soccer in the u.s. sucks and MLS teams need to run academies from much younger up. Many are already actually doing that and most are building that system right now.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/features/rating-mls-academies-homegrown-players-youth-development-progress

Those players seen like nice talents but they won't be great playing in the garbage MLS. Since MLS has the dumbest system in place that deincentivizes selling players to good leagues, these young guys are probably stuck here during their most important years of development.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The USMNT will never be good.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Lmao, perfect timing:

https://twitter.com/grantwahl/status/920119976488570881

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Im disappointed the US didn't make it to the world cup. I'll miss the adorable little chants their fans come up with and their plucky team spirit

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

lmao at everyone who expects that america can just keep doing its american sports thing while actually being globally competitive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
France Football says that US is considering Laurent Blanc as the next US manager.

https://twitter.com/Jon_LeGossip/status/920177372237828096

Also Sam Allardyce is interested in the opening.

http://www.espnfc.us/united-states/story/3232018/sam-allardyce-interested-in-taking-united-states-job-sources?appsrc=sc

Also it seems that Tab Ramos will be the interim manager for the friendlies in November.

• Locked thread