Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Wasn't Allardyce the guy that coached all of one game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Wasn't Allardyce the guy that coached all of one game

That’d be the one

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
Allardyce would be a great fit

pragmatic, corrupt, will get solid results

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Not sure you can get wine pints in American bars though

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

skasion posted:

Not sure you can get wine pints in American bars though

incorrect this thread is full of american wine pints

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

RideTheSpiral posted:

incorrect this thread is full of american wine pints

:D

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
US would be foolish to pass up a chance of snagging legendary England manager Big Sam Allardyce

belgend
Mar 6, 2008

me when The Club do another win

they can even call him uncle sam, hell, i call him that alrrady

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Would unironically love Big Sam as USMNT manager, though I think we'd need a different technical director.

None of this matters unless Gulati goes, in any case

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
It's Happening :911:

https://www.joe.co.uk/amp/sport/sam-allardyce-interested-in-becoming-usa-manager-but-americans-dont-seem-to-want-him-145753

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

This would be a fantastic move for the USMNT, and every person quoted in that article is an idiot.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

hmm looks like 3 Colombian managers either qualified or got a playoff spot, should we look for a manager there? Nah, let's just get an English manager, he will definitely be comfortable in this joke confederation.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Allardicio is the perfect man to grind out results for the U.S.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So why is it that the USWNT seems to do so well in comparison? A combination of Title IX and lack of development of women athletes around the world?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

blue footed boobie posted:

This would be a fantastic move for the USMNT, and every person quoted in that article is an idiot.

He's a step up from all the managers I've seen for the team so far.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Solkanar512 posted:

So why is it that the USWNT seems to do so well in comparison? A combination of Title IX and lack of development of women athletes around the world?

Yeah, the US got in early on the growth of women’s soccer.

Another factor is the lack of competing pro sports.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Solkanar512 posted:

They're one of the only countries in the world that takes women's sports seriously and actually pays their female athletes so they can train like professionals

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I would bite off both of fat sam's hands if he offered to manage Australia. He has exactly the sort of tactics and mindset teams around the level of USA/AUS/ect need

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
Sunil Gulati looks to be having people running against him this time for the US Soccer president.

The VP of US Soccer Carlos Cordeiro is running and Kyle Martino is also running.
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/02/...pe=sectionfront

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/06/sports/kyle-martino-us-soccer-president.html

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Has the US made it back into the World Cup yet

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
shouldn't have put diana ross on penalties imo

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
According to Ian Darke, US will approach Northern Ireland's manager Michael O'Neill for the open position.

https://twitter.com/IanDarke/status/929962231223156736

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

psyer posted:

According to Ian Darke, US will approach Northern Ireland's manager Michael O'Neill for the open position.

USA about to experience the MO'N effect

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Hasn’t NI been on the old veterans plan for a couple years now? Their manager doesn’t seem like the best choice to lead a US youth movement.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

psyer posted:

It’ll be great to see Beckerman turning out for the 2022 quals

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

psyer posted:

would much rather have fat Sam

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/christian-pulisic-usmnt-world-cup/

quote:

And so I really just wonder, you know: Why is it that E.U. players are allowed to move country once they turn 16 … but non-Europeans can only do so at 18? Why aren’t we campaigning for a level playing field, where our best 16 year olds — who may not have an E.U. passport like I had — are free to move when they turn 16, like the best young players in Europe can? And in the meanwhile, as long as some of our best young players aren’t getting the opportunity like I had to go to Europe when they’re 16 … are we doing everything in our power to make sure the level of play in U.S. soccer is high enough so that they can continue to develop up to their maximum potential? So that they can continue to develop until they are allowed to play at the top level their talent dictates — wherever that is in the world?

I also understand, of course, that — even with the option to leave — leaving the States might not be for everyone. Staying is fine, and I totally respect it. But at the same time, I’ve gotta say: It really does frustrate me, when I watch MLS, and I see our best U-17 players — who, again, are so talented and so capable — being rostered … but then not being put on the field much to actually play. I watch that, and I just think about how I was given a chance … a real chance … and it changed my life. Why then are we seemingly hesitant to allow these other talents to blossom?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Wouldn't that be because you aren't legally an adult until you're 18 in the US, but in many European countries it's 16?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crazy Ted posted:

Wouldn't that be because you aren't legally an adult until you're 18 in the US, but in many European countries it's 16?

Which countries are those?

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

oliwan posted:

Settle down aatrek

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

oliwan posted:

Gigi Galli posted:

Settle down aatrek

*Furiously googles age of consent*

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

*Furiously googles age of consent*

Aaaaand I’m not the kind that likes to tell yoooou just what you want me to

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Mods, please update the thread title to include Italy.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Crazy Ted posted:

I thought it was 14 in america now?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

wicka posted:

Mods, please update the thread title to include Italy.
https://twitter.com/nycguidovoice/status/841019810095931393

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
gabagool

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
It’s fine. The US, Netherlands, Chile, and Italy will be the top seeds in the NIT

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Crazy Ted posted:

It's a FIFA rule that U18s can't move internationally but they had to put an exception in for the EEA because otherwise it's restraint of labour and it wouldn't hold up legally

Also because the rules are mostly there to stop the market in African kids being shipped to Belgium on the hope that they might make it or otherwise go out and beg. No-one actually cares if someone leaves Portugal for Spain, that's kind of the point of being Portuguese

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Fear not we will have a losers tourney to console ourselves with (maybe)

espn posted:

LEIRIA, Portugal -- The U.S. Soccer Federation is looking into the possibility of hosting pre-World Cup international matches involving the United States, Italy, Netherlands, Ghana and Chile.

U.S. Soccer told ESPN FC and other media outlets on Tuesday that it was exploring the idea with MLS's marketing arm, SUM.

e: fuckin lmao I had not seen this post when I posted

Aggro posted:

It’s fine. The US, Netherlands, Chile, and Italy will be the top seeds in the NIT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Sounds like a zero SUM game

• Locked thread