Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Dirk Pitt posted:

MLS fans don't want that. Much better to not do anything than risk their team not be guaranteed a spot in the top flight. Full table is a non-starter too because reasons. Much better for the same lovely 8 teams to play each other 10 times over a season and then have a playoff.

What would a full table entail? A round robin? There are too many teams for that already unless you extended the season. You'd need contraction or pro/rel.

I think the more relevant changes would be to ending league ownership of teams and loosening up salary cap rules. Salary caps aren't inherent in US leagues, MLB lacks one and does fine. I agree that preferences for US players should be ditched too. There's enough incentive to stay in MLS from the comfort of playing at home. Don't give players financial incentive to avoid Europe for goodness sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I played a ton of rec soccer growing up, and I was able to hone my skills at a weekly pick-up game. I didn't go anywhere with it because I was fat and lazy but w/e.

Totally possible to play without paying much money. But developing? We don't have the infrastructure outside of select soccer.

Echoing that I don't think that will change until we grow the viable number of clubs in the US and heavily incentivize them to develop players. Make it worth their while! Then maybe we'll see people try to develop players the right way instead of waiting til loving high school.

At that point the draft becomes irrelevant because nobody wants college players anyway, they're not good enough. Imagine how good Jordan Morris could be if, instead of coming up through the standard US system and farting around at Stanford for four years, someone had actually taught him to shoot with his left foot early on. The player incentive becomes obvious too, because they could start playing professionally younger instead of not loving getting paid for college ball, Jesus Christ why does anybody play in the NCAA?

I'm coming around to the fact that MLS needs pro/rel, too. I used to think it would be insanely difficult, but whatever you say about MLS teams it's pretty evident that lower league clubs have grown a lot in the last few years. They're packing the house with fans with the hope that a rich owner and MLS will be convinced to make them an expansion team. Imagine the kind of passion you could get if they didn't even need to wait for that, and could be promoted if their team plays well enough! That means more teams, more academies, more development, more incentive to subsidize local youth soccer and find your next star. We need to get there.

e. yeah guys Cameron was injured, totally not match fit for real competition

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/status/919189678309429248

shirts and skins fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Oct 14, 2017

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Would unironically love Big Sam as USMNT manager, though I think we'd need a different technical director.

None of this matters unless Gulati goes, in any case

• Locked thread