Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Lol that Klinsmann is being blamed. As if the 12 MLS guys over 30 playing yesterday would’ve done better with four years of Arena during the formative 26-30 years of age.

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

skasion posted:

Klinsmann was a mediocre coach who did not get significantly better results on the pitch than those that came before him. And the lovely results the team got under him in this hex were a major part of the reason why they did not succeed. Is Arena better in any way? Well no, in some ways quite a bit worse, and they should probably have fired his rear end yesterday, panic hiring him was no kind of progress. But I do think the team settled into crappy habits under Klinsmann that they failed to shake off.

Obviously it is not all down to the coaching, American soccer has way worse problems than that (and Klinsmann to his credit actually tried to address some of them), but I can see why people blame him. The biggest argument in Klinsmann's favor was that the US was not likely to get anyone better at the time, and the biggest argument against him is that they still aren't, he did not much improve the results, the team, or the state of the game. At best he kept them from getting worse.

Im not trying to argue that Klinsmann was a master coach who got a raw deal. He had a lot of faults. But didn’t Klinsmann coach two games in this Hex before he was fired? I’d hardly call losses to Mexico and Costa Rica at the very start a major reason they failed to qualify.

I’m still very convinced that the political nature of US Soccer and the determination to treat the national team like a MLS All Star squad to drive tickets is the bigger issue. Klinsmann bringing in actually trained younger Americans in lieu of the monster physical but technically lacking geriatrics Arena preferred was a good thing. Possibly not in the short term, but in the long term it would be.

Landon Donovan, Grant Wahl, and the ‘soccer press’ can gently caress off after this.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

sportsgenius86 posted:

Klinsmann's plan, per se, was a good one. Klinsmann's managerial tactics were dogshit and trying to pound a square peg into a round hole over and over again was an exercise in futility.

As has been discussed, he should've had an Executive Director role. He knew what to do. The problem is that you can't force a bunch of people to play a way that they don't have the skills to play.

Does US Soccer even have this role? Our MLS lifers surely didn’t have the ability to play the way Klinsmann wanted, but gently caress them.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Bogan Krkic posted:

who are the best american players currently? thanks

1. Christian Pulisic

The others like Weston McKinnie didn’t even get a call up. Where the gently caress was John Brooks? Surely he’s better than Feilhaber.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
MLS fans don't want that. Much better to not do anything than risk their team not be guaranteed a spot in the top flight. Full table is a non-starter too because reasons. Much better for the same lovely 8 teams to play each other 10 times over a season and then have a playoff.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

wicka posted:

The funniest and most frustrating part of all of this is how MLS insists that this is the way a sports league MUST be run in order for Americans to accept it, even though the popularity of European leagues among Americans (i.e. much more popular than MLS) has proven that wrong for years. They are going so far out of their way to avoid the product MLS is selling.

Oh hey, I agree with wicka again. :thumbsup:

Drafts, Playoffs, Divisions all make zero sense in building a quality domestic team

Dirk Pitt fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Oct 12, 2017

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Of course I am curious, should the USMNT be treated as a MLS All Star squad? I live in Sweden now, and there is no bias towards Allsvenskan players on their team, otherwise they would suck.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
ITT mls fans apologize for their all stars performance and don’t see anything wrong with mls.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Runs wheezing into the thread.

Guys, how do we convince Pulisic to move to Orlando?

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

wicka posted:

Pro/rel is good because it is the path towards stabilizing the lower division(s), which is how you end up with a country covered in professional soccer clubs of all shapes and sizes, and that's also how you end up with a country covered in :siren: competent youth academies :siren:

So much:agreed: clubs should develop players. You punish them by relegating them. You incentivize them by paying them money. It isn’t hard. Of course again this is still dependent on a goal of domestic talent representing the US on the international stage. Which is not going to ever be feasible with current mls structures.

Edit: I don’t know if that should even be a ten year goal for us Soccer. The short term goal should be pushing people out of our disastrous youth system as quickly as possible. Family wealth be damned, if a player is competent ship them to Germany, England, Portugal

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Took way too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

Toilet Rascal
It’s almost like Klinsmann was right.