Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

[quote="“Dirk Pitt”" post="“477285311”"]
Im not trying to argue that Klinsmann was a master coach who got a raw deal. He had a lot of faults. But didn’t Klinsmann coach two games in this Hex before he was fired? I’d hardly call losses to Mexico and Costa Rica at the very start a major reason they failed to qualify.

I’m still very convinced that the political nature of US Soccer and the determination to treat the national team like a MLS All Star squad to drive tickets is the bigger issue. Klinsmann bringing in actually trained younger Americans in lieu of the monster physical but technically lacking geriatrics Arena preferred was a good thing. Possibly not in the short term, but in the long term it would be.

Landon Donovan, Grant Wahl, and the ‘soccer press’ can gently caress off after this.
[/quote]

Klinsmann's plan, per se, was a good one. Klinsmann's managerial tactics were dogshit and trying to pound a square peg into a round hole over and over again was an exercise in futility.

As has been discussed, he should've had an Executive Director role. He knew what to do. The problem is that you can't force a bunch of people to play a way that they don't have the skills to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Simone Poodoin posted:

This is a great point. Here in CR people often complain that 3 teams (Saprissa, Herediano and Alajuelense) take turns to dominate the league and the other 9 teams in the first division range from inconsistent, to poor to hot stinky garbage (such as my local club). Every promising player is sniped by one of the big 3 and then there is showcased for foreign clubs to pick up, but the teams with money and infrastructure help them develop and have systems in place to show players to scouts.

I'm not 100% sure how it works but it seems to me that MLS clubs don't really have a motivation to sell players abroad, do they?

There's not really enough of a passionate history of fandom for these clubs so if there wasn't parity, you'd probably end of up losing a fuckload of the organizations because they wouldn't be sustainable.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Niwrad posted:

What's worse is having no one give a poo poo about any of the clubs.

Superteams draw casual fans and a national audience. That gets you a giant TV deal. Giant TV deal is how you make your league good.

You could make the greatest MLS team ever and it would still suck poo poo compared to a top flight Champions League team and anyone here who gives a gently caress would know that.

Much better soccer is readily accessible here now to anyone who cares.

There's not gonna be a ton of Americans crawling out of the woodwork because a D level league has a superteam.

The Warriors being a superteam is good for the NBA because it's the best league in the world.

If someone dominates a lovely college football conference all it does is make everyone want to see that team play a real team. Boise State being good didn't make a bunch of people get their dicks hard over a Colorado St/Air Force game.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Hope Solo is running for US Soccer President :laffo:

• Locked thread