Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I think all of the discussion regarding the MLS just totally misses the point. The issue with producing good/elite soccer talent is that it has to start early, and the conversation needs to move away from either getting a result AND playing for fun. There needs to be a focus on developing fundamental skills at an early age that just doesn't happen in the United States. It's also not helped by High School or the NCAA where fitness rules everything and you are basically playing go route one chase the ball soccer with a focus on results. There are no developmental academies in the US worth a poo poo

I think another issue is how college is viewed in America. You basically have to go, which further delays a players development. By the time a skilled soccer player is 18-20 they should be training with the first team or getting blooded into games, but American kids are stuck running around empty bleachers in shared stadiums. At this point the battle is lost though. The kids have to get started technically at a very young age, and we just don't have the desire or infrastructure for it. I also don't think thats going to change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread