Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
My hot take is that the US system is set up to keep the illusion that the US is in the soccer elite. De-emphasizing any international competition where the US may look bad (Copa America, CONCACAF champions league, etc), setting up a league structure where American "stars" get overpaid to show up semi-pro players (Michael Bradley and Jozy Altidore would never make what they make in any other league), etc. Maybe after this fiasco things will change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I'm a huge critic of MLS being poo poo but no dude, yes, DC United could have done really well in the Liga Mayor of the time.

Now it's different, it'd not año MLS being bad either. The restructuring and loads of money that started going to Mexican teams in the 2000s means that Liga MX leverages resources that dwarfs what MLS could do now, but back then, yes DC United was good enough to beat the likes of Morelia

Well, there is also the fact that MLS spends money in absolutely the worst way. One or two ridiculously overpaid players in the middle of a bunch of players making 50 to 100k. Like, no other league on earth would pay Michael Bradley 6.5 million a year, and I am pretty sure that is substantially more than what he made at Roma.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
My other hot take is that the whole pay to play aspect of youth soccer in the US is by design so that middle class and above kids don't have to mix up with immigrant and Hispanic kids and the like. Parents prefer to pay $1000 bucks to play other kids who can afford that in a tournament 6 hours away than have little Johnny mixed with Mexican kids at a local park.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

African AIDS cum posted:

This is complete bullshit. They pay because they think they are getting better coaching for their kids. And because being on the "best" club is a status thing. It has nothing to do with race.

And it's just a coincidence that these paid clubs are nearly all white and middle class or above.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

African AIDS cum posted:

Middle class yes, white no. And I used to volunteer at the San Diego Surf cup. You are way off base. Here is one of the winning squads for example. http://events.gotsport.com/tools/thumbimage.aspx?src=/content/teams/teamphotos/t_793543.jpg&height=500&width=600 and there are plenty more like this. Total nonsense.

Lol. Yeah, and in the US race and class are completely separate things.

• Locked thread