Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Pedro De Heredia posted:

I don't really understand why the U.S. hired, and then persisted so long with, Jurgen Klinsmann.

Maybe my memory is off, but I remember iis tenure for the German National Team not being particularly successful. It looked kind of grim going into the 2006 World Cup, where they performed better than expected. That was third place, for a 3-time-winning NT, playing the World Cup in their own country. Hardly amazing. His assistant then took over the NT and has done better than Klinsmann. Then he went to Bayern Munich and he didn't do that great there either, he didn't even survive a full season.

He was in Germany and Bayern from 2004-2006 to and then 2008-2009. That's not a very long time, he didn't win any major trophies and plenty of weird poo poo happened during his tenures.

It always seemed like people had these ideas about his vision and his plans and it's like, sure, but I'm not sure why you think this guy's competent enough to execute these grand visions. He hasn't actually done anything.

Klinsmann has this weird effect on Americans and I've never gotten it either. If you bother to actually read about his past managerial experiences, it's, at best, mediocre. Despite all of that being available through a Google search, Hicks & Gillett tried to bring the guy to Liverpool to replace Rafa Benitez back in 2008. Gulati of the USSF was chasing Klinsmann since 2006 as well. His trophies as a player and his association with successful things like the German national team and Bayern somehow rub off on him more than it does on others.

I guess if you like soccer, but don't really love and follow it, he must seem amazing.

I wonder what he's like in person. Real charmer? I guess he's good looking, but that usually doesn't sway rich American sports figures that much...

track day bro! posted:

Imagine if LeBron James was Scottish......

Extra muscle fueled by Munchy Boxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Byolante posted:

So as a fan of Stoke and USMNT meltdowns can somebody explain why when you have a horrendous midfield and defense you are calling up but not playing Geoff Cameron, a good but not great mid table PL player who can do a job across the midfield and defense?

From what I read, Arena felt he had not recovered enough from his injury in September.

https://sports.yahoo.com/geoff-cameron-bizarre-usmnt-omission-142458947.html

He also had a match to forget against Costa Rica in September. That’s not a good reason, but I think it played a big part in Arena’s MLS-loving decisionmaking.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Meat Wagon posted:

Does America not have a sunday league/amateur youth league equivalent? The $1000 barrier that some posters have mentioned is eye watering and it doesn't really make sense to me as an outsider. Who does that $1000 go to? Who would oversee youth and amateur leagues in America?

It would go to whoever is running the league charging the fees.

This is America. You can have things, but you have to pay for them and hope the free market selects the best one.

RideTheSpiral posted:

how does America not have relegation? Where is the jeopardy? Where is the joy of watching Pompey win the FA cup and then nearly getting relegated straight out of the football league

I think this has already been answered, but the US does not have this because sporting culture developed differently in the US. Older US sporting bodies died out in response to the growing amount of professionalism and league founders opted to make leagues a closed shop for sustainability purposes.

• Locked thread