Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

"If we had Lebron James and Odell Beckham play a few qualifiers we'd be in the World Cup!"

- Casual US fan who missed out on crucial formative years

Bogan Krkic posted:

who are the best american players currently? thanks

Pulisic is good. He actually starts on a good team. Yedlin, Brooks, and Johnson are decent because they play often enough for teams that aren't completely lovely. After that is a crapshoot, honestly. (Yedlin and Brooks have been hurt and Arena decided that Johnson was hurt as well and put Jorge Villafana at RB, where almost every successful attack against the US came from.)

I mean, Pulisic is pretty much the only one that is pretty unanimous.

e. Fabian Johnson not being included in this last int'l break was idiotic, and more of Arena's stubbornness. At least Brooks is actually hurt. Yedlin came back the last two games and was loads better than Graham Zusi, but that dude's a wasted roster spot anyways.

FartingBedpost fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

The American playoff/conference/draft system works fine for the NFL and NBA. Baseball’s the only outlier because of their immense feeder system (NBA has two sources of players that can’t really be used in pro/reg) but that’s used well instead of what MLS does. Wicka is pretty much spot on. Promote the Open Cup, get rid of the draft, and put in pro/reg.

I’m a Rapids fan, but we should’ve been relegated years ago.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Jack2142 posted:

I still don't really understand how adding Pro/Rel makes things any different, it just means that instead of MLS playing in half empty 20,000 seater soccer stadiums they play in half empty High School football stadiums. Like I understand the concept in England and Spain and Germany etc. because there are actual legitimate second division teams that are worth a drat... there's like 3 in the entire US that aren't half assed. Unless the argument is that Pro/Rel would make those half rear end teams spend more money to chase promotion?

I think people over-estimate how much finishing last and getting draft picks helps in MLS, like maybe 3-5 players in the draft will turn into ~good mls players~ most will faff about the league on the bench for a year or two before they get real jobs or continue to chase the dream in USL/NASL never to return.

I think the best thing about the last few seasons in MLS is all the fraud coaches getting fired. Yallop, Kinnear, Sigi, Arena, Heaps, Maestroeni, etc. are all gone and the coaches seem to be getting a little better. Unlike the years before the teams at least to me look like they are playing better and lovely MLS journeymen even if they still are in their 20's who were starters back in 2014 are now bench players or out of the league entirely. I do agree though that the league is in a weird place, I think there are probably about a 3-4 teams that are sabotaging the league from actually getting betterand we probably would be better off once Kroenke, Kraft and whoever the gently caress owns DC United fucks off.

The draft isn’t bad because they help worse teams in MLS. It’s bad because it has no real place in MLS. It works in the NFL because there’s a huge pool of talented players and psuedo-talented players, and owners and coaches make mistakes or succeed in picking undervalued players. The Seahawks are a positive story of how the draft works. NBA sorta works, but there’s issues in it. MLS draft doesn’t work because most of the players you’re drafting suck anyways. Pro/Reg would eventually be great so that teams like Cincinnati and Indy have a chance at MLS, instead of watching NE or DC flounder again.

The true issue (which everyone has said at this point) is the poor state of youth soccer. NCAA works for NFL and barely NBA, but they put in skill work from a very young age. By the point kids are in college, they lack the skills to be great at Soccer. A way that could work is imitating AAU programs in basketball. Don’t they give scholarships and sponsorships out to poorer kids?

Right now MLS is trying to imitate the NFL, which is idiotic, because football has heavy roots in this country, and has the pool of young players that makes it’s system at least viable. And we have a bunch of different systems in place for 8-10 year olds to build skills at a decent price, unlike soccer’s 1000 dollar and up price tag.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

blue footed boobie posted:

Isn't promotion and relegation literally impossible without blowing up the MLS completely? No current owner would ever go for it.

Not literally, but there is definitely a waiting period. Once these next expansion teams come in would be the ideal time to put a timetable in.

You’re right that most owners wouldn’t go for it, though. Well, the Blanks of the world might.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

I get that youth development is a problem. I live in one of the poorest states in the United States. New Mexico has very broad wealth inequality (government scientists and old Spanish money keep it that way too). There are makeshift soccer fields in a lot of areas and a huge Hispanic population. You would think that soccer would thrive here, but it doesn’t.

That’s because the cheapest youth soccer programs aren’t good (and mostly aren’t cheap) and the “elite” soccer programs cost thousands a year. Poorer kids don’t have a chance to build skills until high school (lol) which is still not good. Basketball is better and more accessible, but our lack of state money means no AAU and no real skill building. Which leaves football. For a sport that should cost a lot more money, football is readily accessible for poorer kids, which gives more kids a chance to play. We have more NFL (4) and MLB (6) players than mediocre soccer players (1) and the whole state is soccer crazy.

The fact that kids who aren’t rich start skill building at the age of 14/15 is atrocious.

I’m a huge Pro/Reg guy, as evidenced by the above posts, but I think some of you guys criticizing that idea are missing that we know what the real problem is, too.

E. Also, even if youth academies in MLS are better, the closest ones from NM, in any direction, are a minimum of 8 hours away.

FartingBedpost fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 13, 2017

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

wicka posted:

E: I missed the point because I'm a too-angry retard.

It’s all good, I worded it like a dude from the 47th lowest-educated State.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Stay the course

Trust the process

We don’t need to do anything different

Sub in DeMarcus Beasley and Graham Zusi

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

No other choice really.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Byolante posted:

So as a fan of Stoke and USMNT meltdowns can somebody explain why when you have a horrendous midfield and defense you are calling up but not playing Geoff Cameron, a good but not great mid table PL player who can do a job across the midfield and defense?

“Ummm he was injured for a little bit, it’s totally not because I want to play my two favorite MLS players instead”

loving Christ.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

wicka posted:

Omar plays for Pachuca.

Didn’t he use to be LA Galaxy?

E. LA Galaxy during the whole time Arena was coach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

Racially motivated or not, it certainly is a class thing. Paying to be on the “best” club means you’re getting better education than the poors, and you only have to play with people of your status and be around people of your status. At least, that’s what the parents are thinking. I’ve met parents that don’t like other parent volunteers because “they’re involved with drugs” (not true) or “they don’t have the kids interests at heart” (one of our best volunteers), but it’s code for, “they’re poorer (and darker somehow) than us and must be a criminal because of it”.

It just so happens that most poors are non-whites. What a weird coincidence!

Soccer is really a rich kid’s sport in this country, where there aren’t economic limiters anywhere else.

• Locked thread