Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

MLS is the second best league in CONCACAF behind Liga MX. That's not saying much, still garbage, but not as awful as every other one.

Because of this, Central Americans and Caribbeans who are not good enough for Europe have an intermediate place where they can improve, and the more teams MLS has, the more chances these mediocres have of improving. For Americans it has the opposite effect, looks like most American players don't want to go to Europe and try to make it if they can stay home and get by, so they also stay mediocre. That's my theory that MLS harms American players and helps the rest.

It's also remarkable to note that of all the hex teams, only Mexico are better than 4 years ago, the rest are all objectively worse, does that mean that the USMNT is really the one with the most decreased quality out of US, CR, Pan and Hon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

This is a great point. Here in CR people often complain that 3 teams (Saprissa, Herediano and Alajuelense) take turns to dominate the league and the other 9 teams in the first division range from inconsistent, to poor to hot stinky garbage (such as my local club). Every promising player is sniped by one of the big 3 and then there is showcased for foreign clubs to pick up, but the teams with money and infrastructure help them develop and have systems in place to show players to scouts.

I'm not 100% sure how it works but it seems to me that MLS clubs don't really have a motivation to sell players abroad, do they?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

sportsgenius86 posted:

There's not really enough of a passionate history of fandom for these clubs so if there wasn't parity, you'd probably end of up losing a fuckload of the organizations because they wouldn't be sustainable.

That also doesn't exist elsewhere in CONCACAF though. My local team folded in 2000 because of two successive relegations and financial troubles. It happens all the time. Now I have a local team again because another team folded and some investors bought the rights it had to play in the first division. It's still a lovely small team with a couple hundred supporters at most.

We have 12 first division clubs, out of those the 3 big ones have a rabid following of core supporters and then tons of gloryhunters attached to them. 4 other teams have loyal but small supporters that usually fill their stadiums. The remaining 5 teams play at home in front of a few people and are usually outnumbered by away fans when the big teams come to town. This is also the case in the rest of CA and in the Caribbean it must be way worse. Lower league clubs are almost always on the brink of bankruptcy, but if one dies there's another one eager to take it's place. This is normal.

The problem for the US is travel would be prohibitely expensive for 90% of clubs if they set up a normal system. Maybe Brazil is the example to watch and learn from?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

skasion posted:

Maybe not, Tim Vickery always says Brazilian club football is dysfunctional as gently caress

It definitely is, but it always is everywhere to some extent. Not changing the system because the other options that do work are not perfect is a recipe for stagnation.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

That happens literally everywhere else too, American exceptionalism is part of your problem imo

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Playoffs are fine, many other leagues do them because otherwise there wouldn’t be enough interest to fill up stadiums. Most Central American leagues do two seasons per year, each with playoffs, because that’s what works to keep attendance up.

Divisions could be fine too, Brazil uses them for the state championships. They do state championships for half the year and overall national championship the other half. This works because Brazil is huge.

Drafts, salary caps, league ownership, no promotion/relegation and league ownership, all of that poo poo should go because it actively hinders player development.

In my opinion if the US had the will to change this, they shouldn’t start by trying to copy Germany right away. Look at what kinda works on lovely leagues first, when you get that then strive for the system that work in good leagues.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Panama went from minnows to World Cup in 20 years or so. Reminder that they used to be a baseball country where nobody cared about football. They didn’t even have a pro league until 1988 and it was only in 1996 that they actually had a FIFA recognized league. As I said before, American exceptionalism is part of the problem, people refuse to look at what has worked for other countries because “America is sooo different”.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Jack2142 posted:

I still don't really understand how adding Pro/Rel makes things any different, it just means that instead of MLS playing in half empty 20,000 seater soccer stadiums they play in half empty High School football stadiums. Like I understand the concept in England and Spain and Germany etc. because there are actual legitimate second division teams that are worth a drat... there's like 3 in the entire US that aren't half assed. Unless the argument is that Pro/Rel would make those half rear end teams spend more money to chase promotion?

I kind of disagree with the US needs to have 20 teams in a single table, there are like ~330 million Americans spread across half a continent, that would be like saying we need to form a European Super league of 20 teams?

That's why I'm saying that Brazil's model might work for the US. Being a really huge country is one of the few legitimate arguments where the US is actually exceptional with regards to soccer.

Of course second division teams worth a drat won't appear from nowhere, they might not appear at all (see the rest of CONCACAF), but the actual stakes and actual risks make the clubs be run in a different way that leads to at least trying to improve.

I insist, don't look toward Germany or England as examples yet, look at this side of the world because soccer-wise the US is a thrid world country like the rest of us. Don't look at Mexico though because Liga MX is working towards being more like MLS every year and that's gonna be a hilarious disaster.

Jack2142 posted:

Isn't this also Panama's "Golden Generation" of players, like I think their team is old as gently caress? I swear guys like Blas Perez have been their starting forward for like 20 years at this point.

It is, and it's remarkable that they created it in such a relatively short timespan. The creation of their pro league in the 90s was specifically focused on improving the national team and it has worked really well.

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 12, 2017

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

The problem is that growing slowly in the wrong direction is at best pointless and at worst harmful to the USMNT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

hmm looks like 3 Colombian managers either qualified or got a playoff spot, should we look for a manager there? Nah, let's just get an English manager, he will definitely be comfortable in this joke confederation.

• Locked thread