Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

TwoStepBoog posted:

he tweeted that this is the all the players' faults and is arguing with people who say this is the MLS/USSF/system's fault
in one of his responses, he says younger soccer players are getting everything handed to them and aren't doing anything with it
Well in some respects he's not wrong because the US has sent teams to the knockout stages of the World Cup with less talent and a way worse development setup than what they have now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Sunil Gulati has been in charge of the USSF for twelve years. In that time, the national men's hasn't really improved, the national women's team has remained really good but has had a bad 18 months or so, MLS underwent its rapid expansion but that really didn't have much to do with him, and the women's club game has stagnated because Gulati is obsessed with needing a league that has MUH NATIONAL FOOTPRINT.

He's started to implement academy and league standards, but with respect to the league standards they appear to be completely optional and are enforced based on...who knows??? They've also changed slightly each of the last 3-4 years. I mean, he pulled the "Provisional Division 2" designation straight out of his rear end and handed it to both the NASL and the USL after the USL threatened to sue.

So, he's been bringing in money for a dozen years and that's about it.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 11, 2017

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mr. Mambold posted:

You mentioned in the other thread that the league needs an oil billionaire to dump 100 mil into a team. If I recall correctly, that's the asking price for a new franchise just to enter the league. So they've got some big money hosses already. The deal now is they need to release the clubs from total hierarchical control, imo, let them spend more cash on world class players. I think it's sustainable.
Long ago the league's bizarre rules made some kind of sense if you squinted your eyes, because in the 1996-2000 years the teams were mostly playing in NFL and oversized college football stadiums and getting hosed right in the eye sockets on rent. Every dollar spent on salary was basically a subsidy from the owner, and IIRC the league actually paid for its airtime and tried to recoup what it could via ad sales. When the group got together in 2001 and thought about giving it all up they were about $250 million in the red over six years.

Now? There's really no reason for the structure to exist anymore. It stopped needing to exist once the majority of teams had control over their own venues. It stopped needing to exist about ten years ago.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

wicka posted:

The man's right, shut it all down
That's the same dude from the FIGHT....AND WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! video isn't it?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

skasion posted:

Arena out, Adu in
What's Bora Milutinovic up to?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

LOL that Arena had to wait two and a half days and resign instead of being fired by Gulati on the runway in Trinidad.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

oliwan posted:

Oh yeah the referee thing is another thing that I don't get. Why do youth and amateur teams need "certified" referees? I played in a Sunday league in Holland for like 20 years and the referee was almost always just some dude from the hosting team or a dad in the youth games
Because a solid minority of youth sports parents in the United States are such assholes that organizations have to pay through the nose for refs because nobody wants to casually go out and work games anymore.

There's a friend of mine who made thousands of dollars a year reffing youth hockey in Minnesota because the parents were such cocks that nobody wanted to do it and all of the youth organizations had make reffing wages hilariously high in order to find a pool of people willing to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Wouldn't that be because you aren't legally an adult until you're 18 in the US, but in many European countries it's 16?

• Locked thread