Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Maybe a bunch of players over the age of 30 who have returned to the MLS from Europe for a pay day and last few seasons should not be the players on the national team. The U.S. has a generation gap and Arena took that even further by leaning on just about the oldest squad he could. I guess there are many things you can criticize about the MLS structure but really the majority of the national team should not be playing in MLS anyway.

The better question is why the U.S. is producing so few technically skilled young prospects that there are less Americans playing in top flight European leagues than a decade ago. By the time MLS gets players, they're usually in their 20s,so changing the MLS structure with things like promotion/rel, single table, etc really is not going to impact that. MLS teams have invested in academies, US soccer has seen investment, theres all kinds of money floating around youth development in U.S. soccer.

I think U.S. soccer focus is way too much around the national team's results and MLS structure and less around why, after a couple of decades of investment, massive increases in scouting, tons more players playing professionally, all kinds of different youth development avenues--- the U.S. isn't producing young players who show even a glimpse of the technical skills or potential to go beyond squad player on a midtable European club. Pulisic seems promising-- why aren't there dozens of other skilled teenage Americans, some of which will fizzle, some of which won't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

skasion posted:

Because the MLS academies are garbage and pay-to-play youth soccer is a lovely way of producing large numbers of skillful and highly motivated players

and NCAA is obviously atrocious.

I mean I know why, I played in it growing up.But Bogan Krkic posted about it twice on the first page. There aren't any good American players right now, except Pulisic, who basically scored or created all the qualifying goals. Changing to a single table, coaching at the national team level, etc isn't going to fix that.

MLS improvement in youth development can definitely be part of fixing that, and it does seem like thats begun to head in the right direction but way too slowly.

of the squad against T&T 4 played soccer at the NCAA level and didn't turn professional until 21 or older. Thats absurd

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Dirk Pitt posted:

Edit: I don’t know if that should even be a ten year goal for us Soccer. The short term goal should be pushing people out of our disastrous youth system as quickly as possible. Family wealth be damned, if a player is competent ship them to Germany, England, Portugal
I think MLS should definitely evolve over time but thats a multi decade project. MLS has absolutely improved structurally since it started but still has a long way to go, the approach has always been maintaining stability while slowly improving. I guess you can argue it needs to change quicker, which maybe, but either way the u.s. will not have a domestic league and youth development system setup that is good for turning out top talent for decades.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Simone Poodoin posted:

The problem is that growing slowly in the wrong direction is at best pointless and at worst harmful to the USMNT

that isn't happening, though

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

wicka posted:

It's quite literally exactly what's happening.
MLS has dramatically improved over the last 10 years much less the last 20 on pretty much every front. It has a ton of work still yes but its made major progress

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Ciprian Maricon posted:

How the gently caress can you go from watching your team be the dominant force in the confederation to missing a world cup and think MLS is better?

Because the quality of a domestic league and the results of the national team in world cup qualifying are not the same thing? Most of the players who were key parts of being "the dominant force in the confederation" were not playing in MLS. (With the major, and then oft criticized exactly for playing in MLS exception of Landon Donovan). And MLS is better in terms of quality of play largely because of the quality of non-American players in it now versus the past.

DC United was not good enough to be a top team in Liga MX unless maybe you're talking about the 1990s when MLS was on the brink of collapse, didn't even follow the international rules of the sport, had teams folding, and was basically relying on 3 billionaires to exist.

quote:

There's nothing wrong with the way your league is structured now. The issue isn't promotion and relegation. Your problems stem from non-existent youth development. Poland has an atrocious league, yet there are Poles playing for top and mid-level European clubs. Most of our talented youth simply bypasses the league structure entirely or leaves their senior teams soon after making their debuts. They're mostly scouted away while still playing for youth teams. We may never achieve anything in club football ever again, but paradoxically our academies are doing better than ever, and the national team reflects that.
This is my point. MLS can help with youth development, and they've made improvements in doing so, but beyond that the league structure isn't very relevant to the quality of the national team. Maybe you think MLS should be better or changed anyway, which I probably agree with a lot on. But promotion and relegation aren't going to create teenagers with high technical skills.

G-Hawk fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 13, 2017

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

wicka posted:

For those of you taking notes at home, this is an A+ example of MLS apologists being willfully ignorant and intentionally misreading and misunderstanding what you're saying. The fact that MLS is stagnating and barely growing now has nothing to do with the fact that it has improved over the course of 10-20 years. Ratings are flat, attendance is flat, level of play isn't improving, etc. Again, this just isn't a disputable fact, yet here we are.
Ratings are higher mostly because they're on network tv this year (but still suck), and attendance is pretty definitely up and has been rising pretty consistently. Quality of play is harder to judge but it is up imo. I guess I don't know what you want to be different in MLS in less than a 10 year time span that has any possibility of happening.

I don't really disagree with you about where MLS should end up, but its been making steady progress from near extinction in the early 00s to a stable league that is filling out nationally. I'm not sure why I'm supposed to be upset over that.

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

wicka posted:

Is this a bit?

i dunno you still haven't answered my questions

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

African AIDS cum posted:

Every "top" club has open tryouts and will give a scholarship etc if the kid is good enough. They will also recruit kids. The only need really is parental involvement
lmfao

i played in pay to play growing up this is hilariously detached from reality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

wicka posted:

I'm not sure where you think we've missed the point. These are all problems that are solved when professional clubs start running free-to-play academies and developing players properly, rather then all development being in the hands of private clubs and schools/colleges.

this is literally what MLS teams have been building for the last decade which is why i mentioned before they are making progress. The last year or two the first group of truly MLS academy grown players have begun to surface (not "homegrowns" as MLS defines them, but actually through a mls academy since they were like 12). Virtually everyone agrees the youth development of soccer in the u.s. sucks and MLS teams need to run academies from much younger up. Many are already actually doing that and most are building that system right now.

quote:

“With Kellyn [Acosta], with Paxton [Pomykal], with Jesus [Ferreira], with Jesse [Gonzalez], these guys have been in the academy for six or seven years and we are seeing them grow,” Clavijo said. “

As the academies have continued to evolve, however, teams are identifying talent at a younger age and bringing those players through the academy for multiple years. Part of that is due to the fact that the academies now extend into the U-12, U-13 and U-14 age groups – something that didn’t exist when the U.S. Soccer Development Academy was first founded. Some teams are also starting to invest more in youth scouting to find players earlier in their development and integrate them into MLS academies.

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/features/rating-mls-academies-homegrown-players-youth-development-progress

• Locked thread