Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Juuni Taisen (12 Wars) is originally a light novel written by Nisio Isin (writer of the Monogatari series) that will be released by Viz sometime this month and has been adapted by Graphinica and is avaliable in the West through Crunchyroll on Tuesdays!

PV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsOes0IA4EE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIl6m0cniyw

The Story: Every twelve years, a battle royale tournament is held between twelve families, each one modeled after the Eastern Zodiac, who have selected a candidate from within their family to represent them and prove who among them is the strongest. With twelve hours to eliminate the other contestents and claim a jewel inside them, who will be victorious and live to have their wish granted by Duodecouple, the tournament's odd host.

The Characters
i'm not gonna post art for each of them cause that'll make this OP way too long so I'm gonna go clockwise in the order of the picture up there, starting with the middle! The characteristics of the Zodiac Signs were provided by Chinese Zodiac Dot Com . I dunno how true or helpful these'll be but it may help shed a bit of light on the characters. Thanks to Darth Walrus for the suggestion and follow through

Ox
Name: Ushii The favorite to win this year by fans and others in the tournament. Kills Systematically

quote:

Another of the powerful Chinese Zodiac sign, Ox is steadfast, solid, a goal-oriented leader, detail-oriented, hard-working, stubborn, serious and introverted but can feel lonely and insecure. Takes comfort in friends and family and is a reliable, protective and strong companion. Compatible with Snake or Rooster.

Rabbit
Name: Usagi. Seems to not be quite all there. Kills Strangely

quote:

Those born under the Chinese Zodiac sign of the Rabbit enjoy being surrounded by family and friends. They’re popular, compassionate, sincere, and they like to avoid conflict and are sometimes seen as pushovers. Rabbits enjoy home and entertaining at home. Compatible with Goat or Pig.

Chicken
Name: Niwatori. Polite and soft-spoken. Kills by Pecking

quote:

Those born under the Chinese Zodiac sign of the Rooster are practical, resourceful, observant, analytical, straightforward, trusting, honest, perfectionists, neat and conservative. Compatible with Ox or Snake.

Dragon and Snake
Name: Elder Brother Tatsumi and Younger Brother Tatsumi. They're twins

quote:

A powerful sign, those born under the Chinese Zodiac sign of the Dragon are energetic and warm-hearted, charismatic, lucky at love and egotistic. They’re natural born leaders, good at giving orders and doing what’s necessary to remain on top. Compatible with Monkey and Rat.

quote:

Those born under the Chinese Zodiac sign of the Snake are seductive, gregarious, introverted, generous, charming, good with money, analytical, insecure, jealous, slightly dangerous, smart, they rely on gut feelings, are hard-working and intelligent. Compatible with Rooster or Ox.

Tiger
Name: Tora. Has not done enough yet for a blurb, I'm sorry Tora

quote:

Those born under the Chinese Zodiac sign of the Tiger are authoritative, self-possessed, have strong leadership qualities, are charming, ambitious, courageous, warm-hearted, highly seductive, moody, intense, and they’re ready to pounce at any time. Compatible with Horse or Dog.

Rat
Name: Nezumi. A sleepy boy. Killing All

quote:

Those born under the Chinese Zodiac sign of the Rat are quick-witted, clever, charming, sharp and funny. They have excellent taste, are a good friend and are generous and loyal to others considered part of its pack. Motivated by money, can be greedy, is ever curious, seeks knowledge and welcomes challenges. Compatible with Dragon or Monkey.

Ram
Name: Hitsuji. Uses explosives in his old age. Kills with Trickery

quote:

Those born under the Chinese Zodiac sign of the Ram enjoy being alone in their thoughts. They’re creative, thinkers, wanderers, unorganized, high-strung and insecure, and can be anxiety-ridden. They need lots of love, support and reassurance. Appearance is important too. Compatible with Pig or Rabbit.

Dog
Name: Dotsuki. Kills by Biting

quote:

Those born under the Chinese Zodiac sign of the Dog are loyal, faithful, honest, distrustful, often guilty of telling white lies, temperamental, prone to mood swings, dogmatic, and sensitive. Dogs excel in business but have trouble finding mates. Compatible with Tiger or Horse.

Monkey
Name: Sharyuu. A negotiator first and wants to end the tournament by creating a peaceful alliance. Kills Peacefully

quote:

Those born under the Chinese Zodiac sign of the Monkey thrive on having fun. They’re energetic, upbeat, and good at listening but lack self-control. They like being active and stimulated and enjoy pleasing self before pleasing others. They’re heart-breakers, not good at long-term relationships, morals are weak. Compatible with Rat or Dragon.

Boar
Name: Inounoshishi. Has a loving gun. Two of em! Her father won the last Zodiac War. Kills Abundantly

quote:

Those born under the Chinese Zodiac sign of the Pig are extremely nice, good-mannered and tasteful. They’re perfectionists who enjoy finer things but are not perceived as snobs. They enjoy helping others and are good companions until someone close crosses them, then look out! They’re intelligent, always seeking more knowledge, and exclusive. Compatible with Rabbit or Goat.

Horse
Name: Uuma. A moderate despite his appearance, seeking other moderates.

quote:

Those born under the Chinese Zodiac sign of the Horse love to roam free. They’re energetic, self-reliant, money-wise, and they enjoy traveling, love and intimacy. They’re great at seducing, sharp-witted, impatient and sometimes seen as a drifter. Compatible with Dog or Tiger.

Due to the spoiler possible nature of this premise, there's not too much to say in the OP to not give stuff away but this seems to be a neat, super well animated battle show that seems to have some fun twists in store. It seems that there spoilers out there already from people who've read the light novel so do be careful and please try not to bring those in here, I rather this not look like a redacted government file but I can't really stop you. New episodes come out on Tuesdays so don't come into the thread on those days if you haven't seen the episode yet.

clap your hands everybody

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Oct 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

This show rules a lot I can't wait for everyone to die.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

an actual dog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0OvcneTOfU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

an actual dog posted:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

It's hard for shows to walk that fine edge between edgy and tryhard, and I feel this show edges that edge well.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
HELL YEAH, GIMME DAT SAWANO + DO AS INFINITY SINGLE NOW.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ro0s5lPd_TE

GrudgeOnion
Oct 25, 2010
We've cleared out a city of 500,000 people to make room for this poll. Vote for the survivors of the battle royale:

http://www.strawpoll.me/14133407

GrudgeOnion fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 12, 2017

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Spoilering speculation based on observational evidence for the sensitive. So, looking at the ED, with Boar and Dog being both the first two shown and the first two to die, I'm thinking it's possible that the appearance order in the ED is the order of death, meaning that Chicken will die next episode, and that the final battle will be Rat killing Ox.

Just getting that out there early in case I turn out to be right. :tipshat:

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

jng2058 posted:

Spoilering speculation based on observational evidence for the sensitive. So, looking at the ED, with Boar and Dog being both the first two shown and the first two to die, I'm thinking it's possible that the appearance order in the ED is the order of death, meaning that Chicken will die next episode, and that the final battle will be Rat killing Ox.

That's also the reverse of the order of the zodiac animals
https://www.chinahighlights.com/travelguide/chinese-zodiac/story.htm

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Here's a discussion bone to chew on. Spoilers for Episode 2 below if anyone is just checking the thread out.

Y'all think Chicken was playing the longcon to get Dog's super serum or genuinely wanted to team up and just took advantage of his pretty dumb move? The way she kills him almost looks accidental iirc, a sort of Pet The Doggy motion.

The reveal at the end of Episode 1 that magic is fully real is fun too and I hope we see more of that. Rabbit being a necromancer, Chicken controlling birds and even one of Boar's guns having infinite ammo is cool spice that I'm glad is never extrapolated on.

GrudgeOnion posted:

We've cleared out a city of 500,000 people to make room for this poll. Vote for the survivors of the battle royale:

http://www.strawpoll.me/14133407
I probably shoulda made this as a thread poll huh

AnacondaHL posted:

It's hard for shows to walk that fine edge between edgy and tryhard, and I feel this show edges that edge well.
The like two second bit of Horse getting stuck in the turnstiles was a good example of this. Yeah a girl just killed a guy, but like at this guy not fully know his size, it doesn't take itself THAT seriously

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Tamba posted:

That's also the reverse of the order of the zodiac animals
https://www.chinahighlights.com/travelguide/chinese-zodiac/story.htm

Oooh, good one. I hadn't thought of that. :golfclap:

Moltrey posted:

Here's a discussion bone to chew on. Spoilers for Episode 2 below if anyone is just checking the thread out.

Y'all think Chicken was playing the longcon to get Dog's super serum or genuinely wanted to team up and just took advantage of his pretty dumb move? The way she kills him almost looks accidental iirc, a sort of Pet The Doggy motion.

We'll have to see in her POV episode, but she sure seemed sincere all the way through. I'm guessing accident.

GrudgeOnion
Oct 25, 2010
When Dog and Chicken were sharing information on the other zodiacs, Chicken was withholding information 100%. I'd be surprised if she wasn't one of the best informed contestants before this started, thanks to her power.

Chicken's zodiac also puts a big emphasis on appearance and how others perceive you, I think Dog's assessment of her was exactly what she wanted.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Moltrey posted:

The like two second bit of Horse getting stuck in the turnstiles was a good example of this. Yeah a girl just killed a guy, but like at this guy not fully know his size, it doesn't take itself THAT seriously
Little character moments/animations like that are a time-honored tradition in (most) Nisio Isin works. I liked that moment when Tiger lady saw the booze and immediately went :dance:. It just seems like a "Eh, I might die anyway, so let's get some alcohol flowing!". Also, that moment when the realization hits Horse dude that Ox is in full :black101: mode.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Hey, this is p good

ok show I'm in.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Having writeups of the twelve Chinese zodiac personality archetypes would be nice. Most of what I've been able to find has been pretty incomplete for one reason or another.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
If someone more knowledgeable than me did so, I'd def put them in the OP, I just know the Zodiac story. I made the OP at like 1am and put very little effort, I'm sorry. I couldn't even find a source for everyone's little "Kills [ ] blurb"

drat, Boar, Tiger and Ox got bars

Wark Say posted:

Little character moments/animations like that are a time-honored tradition in (most) Nisio Isin works. I liked that moment when Tiger lady saw the booze and immediately went :dance:. It just seems like a "Eh, I might die anyway, so let's get some alcohol flowing!". Also, that moment when the realization hits Horse dude that Ox is in full :black101: mode.
I'm curious to see where Horse vs Ox goes since from what we know, both don't see game on full murder, at least not like Dog and Rabbit are. Ox was in favor of Monkey's peace pact so I wonder if after that fell through, he decided to just Kill Systematically.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I don’t have zodiac profiles, but here’s nisio name meaning/puns for boar and dog. I’ll put up the rest as the show progresses.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Also backstory for the two focus characters so far, the anime basically covered all of boar’s.

Boar

Dog

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
huh, it switched from younger sister to elder.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah, I just noticed that too.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Huh. Did not expect that from the Mad Dog.

Moltrey posted:

I'm curious to see where Horse vs Ox goes since from what we know, both don't see game on full murder, at least not like Dog and Rabbit are. Ox was in favor of Monkey's peace pact so I wonder if after that fell through, he decided to just Kill Systematically.
I dunno. From the impression left in the beginning of the second episode, it seems like Ox was still trying to avoid fighting either Tiger (or perhaps Rabbit?) in the tower where the ceremony was taking place.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i thought it was fairly obvious chicken was playing dumb. she got dog to divulge tons of info while she just said absolutely nothing except what she needed to get him out and towards rabbit. unless you believe a girl that can see everyone else with her birds has no info at all

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I love that Boar is poly

Wark Say posted:

Huh. Did not expect that from the Mad Dog.

I dunno. From the impression left in the beginning of the second episode, it seems like Ox was still trying to avoid fighting either Tiger (or perhaps Rabbit?) in the tower where the ceremony was taking place.
Oh word, I didn't notice that that was the same place, I thought Tiger was just scoffing at the distance to the ground, but no she was def chasing after Ox. It may just be that Ox rather fight on his terms rather than in a building who's structure is questionable and now that he has control over the situaiton, he's ready to take on Horse.

Davincie posted:

i thought it was fairly obvious chicken was playing dumb. she got dog to divulge tons of info while she just said absolutely nothing except what she needed to get him out and towards rabbit. unless you believe a girl that can see everyone else with her birds has no info at all
i lean this way since it seems she specifically sought Dog out but it still feels weird to me? Even when she has the strength, she just....pushes his head too hard and even then looks real worried bout it.

I also feel weird about Monkey being the one to set off the bomb but i might be reading into it too much

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Moltrey posted:

I also feel weird about Monkey being the one to set off the bomb but i might be reading into it too much

Monkey is the most dangerous of all

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

an actual dog posted:

Monkey is the most dangerous of all

Nice girls in anime always turn out to be the psychos

Moltrey posted:

i lean this way since it seems she specifically sought Dog out but it still feels weird to me? Even when she has the strength, she just....pushes his head too hard and even then looks real worried bout it.

I think that's more of the kawaii killer MO. She plays her part really well
That said, that was quite the dangerous game she played. What if he decided to poison her, even though they had a "truce"? It doesn't seem like the most well thought out plan, but if she knew about him and his somewhat kind(if that extra material is to be believed) demeanor, maybe she knew it would just work out?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Moltrey posted:

I love that Boar is poly
Why do you think she introduces herself as the warrior who "Kills in abundance". :pervert:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Moltrey posted:

I love that Boar is poly

Her wish is love too assuming that cover page tells their wishes. Some are more specific that others, since dog’s being to win doesn’t say much

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

jng2058 posted:

Your speculation misses Snake, in the same sense that Snake is missing his head.

Based on how the ground was destroyed, how Monkey wears headphones and kills "peacefully" I'm guessing that she uses sonic weaponry of some sort.

I'm also wondering how Rat's being recognized by everyone is going to be relevant. If the ED is canon he seems to be a generic Japanese teen MC, which is hilarious in this context.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Oct 13, 2017

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I get the impression Monkey genuinely wants to end things peacefully if possible, given her whole background involves repeatedly successfully ending conflicts.

edit: But I also get the impression part of her success is due to her not being overly idealistic and still being fully aware of the realities of the situation. Like, she almost definitely has contingency plans in place if her allies turn on her or something. There's probably a reason why Boar was so wary of her.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Oct 13, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I get the impression Monkey genuinely wants to end things peacefully if possible, given her whole background involves repeatedly successfully ending conflicts.

Also, if the zodiac race keeps panning out, her dying early (but passing on her ideals to others) seems like a natural option to keep the conflict going but still offer a little hope.

For the record, I may have found some decent Chinese zodiac personality profiles.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Oct 13, 2017

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

LostRook posted:

Your speculation misses Snake, in the same sense that Snake is missing his head.

Sure, but he died off screen before the competition proper started. Arguably he doesn't count. :colbert:

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

She ends conflicts by threatening everyone with her terrifying powers.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

quote:

Rabbit
Those born under the Chinese Zodiac sign of the Rabbit enjoy being surrounded by family and friends.
I laughed.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i remember looking up the chinese zodiac personality tables to get a better feel for tiger and bunny.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sindai posted:

I laughed.

Also, Pigs get on poorly with Monkeys... but very well with Rabbits.

Roosters and Dogs aren't a great combination, either. Maybe Uuma will have better luck with Niwatori if he lives long enough to meet her?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like how this series has been relatively low on exposition and just jumped right into the action. If it continues like this it should be solidly entertaining.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Well now I don't know what would be the bigger twist: Monkey exerting some kind of subtle mind influence on people by talking to them or just being so darn nice a hardened sociopath suddenly felt an urge to lay down her life for her.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Based on the title for next week's episode Monkey is going to die right? Seems like giving a character's backstory is the kiss of death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
:stare: No mercy whatsoever. So, that's two (three if we count the Boar getting taken apart for good) confirmed deaths this episode?

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Based on the title for next week's episode Monkey is going to die right? Seems like giving a character's backstory is the kiss of death
We do know a fair deal about Monkey girl already, so hopefully there's a little less backstory/flashbacks shown, but we'll see.

• Locked thread