Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Daedalus1134 posted:

I actually really liked the concept for Rat's power, but yeah, as an episode that was kind of a letdown.

Really surprised we are getting another one, you could have basically ended the show on this episode and left the wish open. Maybe the next episode is just a collection of potential wishes as the decision is being made?

That's how the novel actually ended, with the wish left open. :ssh:

I'm assuming next week is the manga one-shot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Allarion posted:

That's how the novel actually ended, with the wish left open. :ssh:

I'm assuming next week is the manga one-shot

Yeah I think the Manga one shot did give a wish. Also apparently Rat went through 100 scenarios to avoid participating the Juuni Taisen to begin with. But was unable to find one were he got out of it.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 12, 2017

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I've had no real problems with the show to date, including this episode. The thing where "If I refuse the interview, a bunch of people are going to try to kill me in various ways, intentional and unintentional" was a bit silly, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

It'll be interesting to see what wishes Rat manages to come up with and where they lead. It'd be too easy for him to say "Give me a seat as a gambler" and have that lead to him making gambles in such a way as to maximize his own safety and world peace, but that's the only one that immediately comes to mind.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also fun thing for the English Dub. The voice actor for Boar did not learn her character was killed off until recording was done.

https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/940720500438904832

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Suddenly Steins;Gate/Zero Escape... if I had not seen those before, that would have been a really cool and novel idea because it was presented really well.

Either way, the show as a whole was not at all worth that payoff. It seems like that ending reveal was the entire point of the show, and the rest of it was just pulpy grey matter. I expected more from you, Nisio.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't really see how that was a "reveal"? I mean, it was obvious that rat had some kind of cheating power, and it ties in nicely to the general theme is that victory goes to the luckiest, not the strongest. There is no glory in victory, only people who happen to survive another day.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Kytrarewn posted:

I've had no real problems with the show to date, including this episode. The thing where "If I refuse the interview, a bunch of people are going to try to kill me in various ways, intentional and unintentional" was a bit silly, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

It'll be interesting to see what wishes Rat manages to come up with and where they lead. It'd be too easy for him to say "Give me a seat as a gambler" and have that lead to him making gambles in such a way as to maximize his own safety and world peace, but that's the only one that immediately comes to mind.

They were all intentional. Rat's power wasn't unknown to all, by the way everything was shown and phrased. It appeared to be done deliberately so there was no way to escape even if you had a thousand tries. It was set up to force the interview.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Holy poo poo the first half of this episode was loving terrible. Yes, the one thing this horribly overwritten show clearly needed was an autistic toreador explaining every single thing in great detail as it is happening.

The second half, eh. The montage of Rat's one hundred deaths was kind of neat, but the reveal itself felt cheap and unsatisfying, especially because Rat still is a complete non-character.

In conclusion, this turned out to be the most disappointing show I've watched since... I don't know, The Lost Village maybe?

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Also, a sequel to the original book apparently got released yesterday?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

no announcement on whether the sequel novel will get translated though :sigh:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Clarste posted:

I don't really see how that was a "reveal"? I mean, it was obvious that rat had some kind of cheating power, and it ties in nicely to the general theme is that victory goes to the luckiest, not the strongest. There is no glory in victory, only people who happen to survive another day.

You assume it was obvious to everyone, which it wasn't. We speculated that time travel was involved, but it was never confirmed until the end.

As for your reading, I think that only works if we're emotionally invested in the rest of the characters and their motivations, good or bad. Unfortunately, that was only true Monkey. None of the other characters were interesting enough to give a poo poo about. Tiger and Ox might have been if their episodes weren't so horribly botched.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I liked Kanae/Tiger, but Misaki/Monkey was my favorite, though. Even if she ultimately got blindsided, it was sad that such a swell lady had to find such a sad-rear end end. :(

I was ready to not give a poo poo about the Dragon brothers, but there was something about those cheerful psychos that warmed my heart. The clear implication that, at the very least, their brotherly bond wasn't all that easy to dismiss was probably what did it.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I liked Monkey and thought her backstory was interesting. The "mystery" of Rat was interesting. Rabbit's deal was interesting. The rest just felt eh? I'm usually all for a battle royale type story but this fell on its face pretty quick after Monkey died.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
To be fair, Monkey was taken down halfway through. Again, I think that this should've been way better as a 5-to-6 OVA/ONA release or a 2-hour movie.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The brothers backstory was interesting because it sets them up as agents of chaos who, unlike the Joker from Batman, play both sides.

But as far as their participation in the games, they did literally nothing but be rabbit's undead chronies. There was literally no point to giving them a backstory.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Well, that's not completely accurate: Snake's corpse most definitely had an impact, what with helping Rabbit along in getting one third of the competition (Boar, Monkey, Horse and his own brother) killed. It's just that, even though most contestants had bits and pieces of their backstories revealed, the one for the brothers makes no qualms about saying "Yeah, you're all full of poo poo, Zodiac War foundation".

As individual participants though, you're absolutely right: They were incredibly underwhelming as they did gently caress-all beyond A) Getting killed before the actual contest started (Snake) B) Keeping tabs on the other (Dragon) C) Being patsies to someone else (Both) and had no real agency.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
On the topic of Snake, what I mean is that his backstory has nothing to do with his actions in the Junni Taisen because he's nothing but Rabbit's bitch. Yes, his character is very important to the events of the war as a whole, but there was literally no reason to have two episodes worth of flashback to characterize a character that is a bitch zombie literally the entire time.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Wark Say posted:

As individual participants though, you're absolutely right: They were incredibly underwhelming as they did gently caress-all beyond A) Getting killed before the actual contest started (Snake) B) Keeping tabs on the other (Dragon) C) Being patsies to someone else (Both) and had no real agency.

See, I found that interesting in its own right, at least as much as I did any of the other characters' backstories. They were the first ones to suggest the aesthetic of the foundation (which it seems like Rat is working to dismantle) through their past, which is a lot more than can be said for Uma, for example, or even, frankly, Saru, whose backstory can basically be summed up as "Look how sweet I am as I bake my cookies, now feel my tragedy harder", or, similarly, poison-dog-sensei. It was also interesting insofar as, as far as we knew at the time, they were the only ones who had any semblance of companionship outside the game, and it set up a sort of anxiety regarding what would happen if/when the two of them were forced to confront one another.

Again, I didn't really feel frustrated by this show. That might be due to watching shows that frustrate the hell out of me this season, like Welcome to Slideshow, Dies Incomprehensible and Recap Clover, but I never really felt like any of the detours or backstories made me want to get off the bus. I was more intrigued by the setting than the battle royale, and looking for hints to provide clarity to such, though.

As long as we're talking favorites, I think I liked Tori best. I mean, her story wasn't necessarily original (I've been pretending to be other people for so long that I don't remember who I really am! See: Kokoro Connect and a whole bunch of other works in English and Japanese media) but it still grabbed me for some reason.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Snake's backstory was what fully conveyed to me how screwed up their entire world is.

Did anyone else notice that a bunch of the ways Rat was killed when refusing the interview looked like they were perpetrated by one of the other warriors? Boar's guns, Ox's sword, Sheep's bomb, etc. I assume you novel-readers already know what's up, but I'm hoping that's what the final episode is about.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Doc Hawkins posted:

Snake's backstory was what fully conveyed to me how screwed up their entire world is.

Did anyone else notice that a bunch of the ways Rat was killed when refusing the interview looked like they were perpetrated by one of the other warriors? Boar's guns, Ox's sword, Sheep's bomb, etc. I assume you novel-readers already know what's up, but I'm hoping that's what the final episode is about.

The one that made that perfectly clear to me was when he was attacked by a flock of birds. There are a bunch of people who use guns/swords/bombs, presumably, but bird attack kinda pushes the issue...

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, that montage was really, really weird. It was almost like a montage of his deaths from the other routes he took through the competition, him getting taken out by the other competitors and stuff as he tried to find the one route that didn't end in him dying, not what the Juni Taisen itself would have done to him for not agreeing to an interview, and it got repurposed at the last minute or something.

Anyway, while we're discussing our favorite characters, mine were Monkey (of course), Sheep (my Zodiac sign, and also I liked the whole "just blow them all up" thing), and Rabbit. I have enjoyed the show so far too, but I think it got way too wordy and monologue-y as it went on. Or, rather, not enough was happening while the monologues happened; it was really wordy from the start, but it was while things were happening, while in the last few episodes things that took a few seconds had minute+ speeches along with them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
While I know nothing about the new novel I recently learned his characters are based on the Western Zodiac instead.

Aries the sheep
Taurus the bull
Gemini the twins (Who appear to be two people but unlike Snake and Dragon count as one fighter.)
Cancer the crab
Leo the lion
Libra the scales
Scorpio the scorpion
Sagittarius the centaur archer
Pisces the fish
Capricorn the goat
and Aquarius the water bearer

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
According to one review I read the original fighters are all back in an alternate timeline sort of fashion and double spoiler seriously this is a spoiler: they die in reverse order.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Modus Pwnens posted:

According to one review I read the original fighters are all back in an alternate timeline sort of fashion and double spoiler seriously this is a spoiler: they die in reverse order.

Instead of the new group I named. Cause if thats the case this is untrue.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

Instead of the new group I named. Cause if thats the case this is untrue.

In addition. The title is Juni Taisen VS Juni Taisen

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Modus Pwnens posted:

In addition. The title is Juni Taisen VS Juni Taisen

Huh strange.

Cover.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 14, 2017

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

MonsterEnvy posted:

Huh strange.

Cover.

That looks like something Rumiko Takahashi drew while drunk off her rear end back when she used to live in a closet.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm gonna need Viz to translate that asap

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Huh, yep. That's everyone back from the grave for this. Odd.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Roland Jones posted:

Huh, yep. That's everyone back from the grave for this. Odd.

Something about them remains after their death, as noted by how Rat was getting killed (I had forgotten about the bird swarm, yeah, that makes it pretty obvious :downs:). And I don't think they've fully justified why everyone found him familiar yet.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Huh strange.

Cover.

Which one is the Fish

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Demicol posted:

Which one is the Fish

Glasses lady, probably.

I'm stumped by who the Crab could be, but the new character count is over by one, so that must mean that gramps and maid girl are recognized as one fighter as well, likely as Cancer.

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Dec 15, 2017

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Pootybutt posted:

Glasses lady, probably.

I'm stumped by who the Crab could be, but the new character count is over by one, so that must mean that gramps and maid girl are recognized as one fighter as well, likely as Cancer.

Gemini counts as one, but are a pair

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I believe this is how they divide up.
Taurus

Sagitarius

Leo

Aries

Scorpio

Pisces

Aquarius

Libra

Capricorn

Gemini

Virgo

Cancer

Cancer is the only one that does not really fit his theme, but process of elimination means it has to be him.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 15, 2017

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

cancer is the girl in the wheelchair

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
So I'm not sure if I missed something, but the tournament director was just going to kill the winner because he didn't do the interview? Or is it implied he knew about rats power?

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Harry posted:

So I'm not sure if I missed something, but the tournament director was just going to kill the winner because he didn't do the interview? Or is it implied he knew about rats power?

No, this was not made clear for anime-only viewers. Storyboard dropped the ball on this.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I was pretty sure the answer was yes to both because it makes much less sense that he was somehow accidentally killed 60 different ways in the part of the city the Illuminati control.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it had to be them trying to force him into the interview, since he just casually dropped a reference to his power and the guy knew what he was talking about. They knew they could kill him because they, well, wouldn't actually kill him.

On a tangent, the Rat's power is interesting. He seems unexceptional by the story's standards otherwise, but it's a sure-win power as long as he can win (I assume if, like, he was stuck in a one on one match with the Ox or whatever, he'd be screwed because all one hundred options just lead to his death, because like hell he's beating the Ox in a straight fight, as an example; he also mentioned being unable to get out of the Juni Taisen, I think). That also explains what, "Killing all," meant; his power basically guaranteed his victory, which necessitated everyone else dying. Therefore, no matter what, he's going to ensure that everyone else is dead. (Or, alternatively, it could be a reference to him "destroying worlds" or whatever he said when talking about his power in comparison to Monkey saving the most people, etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Roland Jones posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it had to be them trying to force him into the interview, since he just casually dropped a reference to his power and the guy knew what he was talking about. They knew they could kill him because they, well, wouldn't actually kill him.

Eh, I wouldn't be especially surprised if they also actually kill off any winner they deem uncooperative.

• Locked thread