Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Is dragon the gambler or the computer nerd in the ED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
If I remember my Chinese Zodiac right (maybe) then he's the computer nerd and Snake would be the gambler.

Personally, I find Dragon to be the most forgettable of the cast so far. Everyone else has something to them, but Dragon's one thing he's done is "stand on a building, see Headless Snake and... do nothing."

Rand Brittain posted:

I guess now that this part of the story is over, I can mention that the book seems to put it down to Dog's poison, in that once the venom boosted her mental capacity to peak, she was no longer able to maintain a mindset without empathy.

Unfortunately, she didn't have the social skills necessary to be part of an alliance, so she just wound up being very bad at being a lone wolf.

That's certainly what Niwatori thought herself, but I'm not entirely sure. Since Monkey's skill is "transmutation of all things," I can see that being used on nebulous concepts like aggression and deception to transmute them into passivity, protection, honesty etc. and that'd fit that sequence of events fine. The biggest reason I don't think it was entirely One Man Army is that Niwatori died actively protecting Sharyu which doesn't entirely fit.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Is dragon the gambler or the computer nerd in the ED

Dragon is coded blue, so nerd.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

If I remember my Chinese Zodiac right (maybe) then he's the computer nerd and Snake would be the gambler.

Personally, I find Dragon to be the most forgettable of the cast so far. Everyone else has something to them, but Dragon's one thing he's done is "stand on a building, see Headless Snake and... do nothing."

That's certainly what Niwatori thought herself, but I'm not entirely sure. Since Monkey's skill is "transmutation of all things," I can see that being used on nebulous concepts like aggression and deception to transmute them into passivity, protection, honesty etc. and that'd fit that sequence of events fine. The biggest reason I don't think it was entirely One Man Army is that Niwatori died actively protecting Sharyu which doesn't entirely fit.

Niwatori consistently had small moments of kindness shine through the manipulative killer persona she’d had imposed on her - see also, her apparently sincere regret at the deaths of Dog and her birds, and her final act being a piece of simple generosity to her pets. It makes sense that if her mask broke, indulging in the altruism she’d denied herself all her life would be the next step.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Rabbit probably found Chicken's corpse (or what was left it?) and reanimated it which is how he's controlling the birds so maybe that comes up next episode? I don't think the flock of ravenous birds would be searching the sewers otherwise. But the name of the next episode suggests it'll be focusing on other characters so who knows

I'm expecting the final showdown to be Ox vs Rat, due to Ox being the favorite and Rat being vaguely recognized by a bunch of other participants (and KILLING ALL). I like Monkey but she's probably dying at some point. Or they all become best of friends and kill the ref

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rat spreads disease that everyone inevitably comes down with before the end of the competition. That is why he's fine with attempting to reduce conflict and wait things out.

edit: I was joking but that actually sounds somewhat plausible. Would explain the Killing All stuff.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Rabbit probably found Chicken's corpse (or what was left it?) and reanimated it which is how he's controlling the birds so maybe that comes up next episode? I don't think the flock of ravenous birds would be searching the sewers otherwise. But the name of the next episode suggests it'll be focusing on other characters so who knows

I'm expecting the final showdown to be Ox vs Rat, due to Ox being the favorite and Rat being vaguely recognized by a bunch of other participants (and KILLING ALL). I like Monkey but she's probably dying at some point. Or they all become best of friends and kill the ref

well, he is a necromantist, and a lot of chickie's birbs died fighting boar

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Horse got dat rear end

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

The post you quoted detailed exactly what the book said on the matter and nothing more or less, so there's not a ton to be sure of. Monkey using her power never comes up in regards to Chicken, while Chicken blames One Man Army and Rat says that Monkey's idealistic pacifism weakened her. The two combined would explain it sufficiently, imo. I also don't think Monkey would be the type to resort to chemical influence, seeing how loath she is to use her power in any situation.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

This is the first episode where I feel the flashback stuff didn't work, which I hope isn't a recurring problem. The rest of the episode rules, tho.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

an actual dog posted:

This is the first episode where I feel the flashback stuff didn't work, which I hope isn't a recurring problem. The rest of the episode rules, tho.
I thought it was kind of a bummer. Like, even as she comes off as a generally stand-up lady, Monkey appears to be unable to help herself, and even with her lingering doubts and all the regrets and all those mental breakdowns she experienced, she feels like she needs to continue. Kinda like the Shogi lady in Katanagatari's Episode 9.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

dogsicle posted:

The post you quoted detailed exactly what the book said on the matter and nothing more or less, so there's not a ton to be sure of. Monkey using her power never comes up in regards to Chicken, while Chicken blames One Man Army and Rat says that Monkey's idealistic pacifism weakened her. The two combined would explain it sufficiently, imo. I also don't think Monkey would be the type to resort to chemical influence, seeing how loath she is to use her power in any situation.

A person not used to doing anything for anyone other than themselves is trying to figure out why this case is different. While on hosed up drugs. Of course she's going to think it's the drug, from her perspective it's the most sensible reason. That doesn't mean it actually is, though. She wasn't exactly in the best state of mind to begin with.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Monkey's flashback was, next to Niwatori's, the most effective yet, and really helped sell me on her as my fave character in the show. She's been thru much and seen some gnarly poo poo, and still pushes on believeing in the power of hope, and "Don't sell platitudes short" is such a great line for shutting down childish lil cynics like Nezumi, who quickly rose to become my least favorite. Hopefully he'll prove himself next week(and she'll survive *fingers crossed*)

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

I kinda wish she did go with her initial "eh, you'll figure it out when you're older" response because that would have been hilarious.

DarknessTear
Sep 14, 2004

Wild Arms is a rad game.
Show is pretty good so far. I'm glad they didn't keep the pattern of the focus of the episode dying at the end going. That would have made the show far too predictable. Monkey is definitely my favorite character so far. Wearing thigh highs also helps.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

DarknessTear posted:

Show is pretty good so far. I'm glad they didn't keep the pattern of the focus of the episode dying at the end going. That would have made the show far too predictable. Monkey is definitely my favorite character so far. Wearing thigh highs also helps.

there's a 90% chance she's offed in the first scene of the next episode. 50% that it's before the OP

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

an actual dog posted:

there's a 90% chance she's offed in the first scene of the next episode. 50% that it's before the OP

Whatever happens, she's gonna pay hard for that episode of backstory

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I hated Sharyu and found her platitudes condescending and flippant, so my guess is that she'll be going the distance.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the monkey and rat conversation this episode was one of my favorite parts in the book and really endeared me to both characters. I'm still confused about the decision to show ox vs horse, a fight that concluded last week, in this episode though.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I like Sharyu and hope she wins! (She won't.)

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i'm very sorry I doubted your sincerity Sharyu

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kytrarewn posted:

I hated Sharyu and found her platitudes condescending and flippant, so my guess is that she'll be going the distance.

I like her because she doesn't come off as naive in her approach and actions, even if she's optimistic.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Called it.

I think the philosophy talk was well done in this episode, especially Monkey wondering what all these immeasurable powerful warriors wish for but can’t get themselves.

Side note, I really like the Nezumi poison theory. It fits really well.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ViggyNash posted:

Called it.

I think the philosophy talk was well done in this episode, especially Monkey wondering what all these immeasurable powerful warriors wish for but can’t get themselves.

Side note, I really like the Nezumi poison theory. It fits really well.

Yeah, though the main counterargument I can think of is that he hasn't been going out of his way to encounter multiple people, though that could be explained by Monkey being a top contender and him assuming it would come down to her (and whoever else joined her) and someone else at some point. I guess there's also the fact that whatever disease or poison he has would need to kill awfully fast, given their time limit (unless he has some sort of immunity to the gem's poison as part of his ability, though that would overlap with an application of Dog's power).

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Wonder what would have happened had Monkey's alliance not broken down. Both Horse and Ox were interested and willing to go along with it. Up until Rabbit also expressed interest and they backed out.

GrudgeOnion
Oct 25, 2010
Rabbit is a great guy and they all suspected him without proof.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm sad horse is gonna die cause i like that he's both a big heavily armored killing machine and also just kind of awkward and friendly to people he thinks might not immediately go after his head

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Colonel posted:

i'm sad horse is gonna die cause i like that he's both a big heavily armored killing machine and also just kind of awkward and friendly to people he thinks might not immediately go after his head

Horse would be the most unexpected victor for this whole competition. Just have every future episode be him crushing everyone else one by one with his epic strength.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Horse would be the most unexpected victor for this whole competition. Just have every future episode be him crushing everyone else one by one with his epic strength.

Then he thinks of ants and dies.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
rip horse, saw an ox and died

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sindai posted:

rip horse, saw an ox and died

Turns out no.

Another episode with out casualties. Just an episode were we find out about Sheep.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

what the gently caress

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

yeah like really dude?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also as the series is going in Zodiac Order for focus episodes it appears, Horse's focus is next episode

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

if they don't kill everyone in that ep I'm gonna riot

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just got around to watching the previous episode (the one that focuses on monkey), and I like how this uber-warrior war negotiator woman is married to this random plain looking guy. I really like her as a sort of "genuinely optimistic but not in a naive sort of way" character.

edit: Makes me sad that she's probably going to die, though I think she'll last until pretty late in the series. Probably the most predictable route would be for her to gradually change Rat's attitude and for him to carry out her wishes after she ends up dying at some point.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Excellent bird slapping skills on display this episode.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Turns out no.
I was sure he was alive I just like that dumb joke

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 31, 2017

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I am genuinely surprised that not only did Sharyu make it through the entire episode alive, everyone else did as well! It's really funny to me seeing her ranked as the 3rd most dangerous person in a head-to-head fight, when she spent the Taisen hiding out in a sewer and then the "fight" against Usagi has been nothing but deflecting his attacks and only really attacking the world's most obvious decoys.

The pre-OP bit seemed like it was... okay, I get the purpose of it and all since it's world building and explaining why the Juuni Taisen itself is important outside of "all out battle royale with a Wish at the end," but if it's a proxy war, why is it just being used for gambling when half the competitors die...? That seems a bit odd, to me. I get betting on the winner, yada yada, but at the halfway mark it seems a bit more pointless. And it being a proxy war implies that it's something major and important, on a larger scale, especially with the colored holograms, so...

Also, I dunno if it's just me but I really liked how simple Snake's power is, and how it wasn't explicitly spelled out but still made pretty obvious anyway. He has no head, so he can't see or hear but that's fine since he clearly has a tremorsense and can pick up on vibrations through the floor. It seemed like Nezumi'd figured it out, but he still got clearly worried that the headless Snake would notice him because of the radio for some reason. :v:

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Oct 31, 2017

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
If my recollection of Kevin Bacon's best movie is right, then with acute enough senses even speech can be sensed through the ground leading to deadly consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

snake, boar, dog and bird died. they say they need 3 more. they explicitly mention not counting the corpse. someone isn't actually dead. or its an error?

• Locked thread