Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
Holy poo poo Sheep. That was an ice cold method of murdering ~11 other people who thought space was a good place to fight it out. Once again, the boars are shown to be a lot weaker than their reputation suggests. And he smartly avoided eating the jewel when everyone else just casually went along with it. But him underestimating the tiger was hilarious because I know she's got to be a rather terrifying combatant, even if she's had like, 10 minutes of showtime.

Anyway, I can not believe that the sheep has literal horns and absolutely NO ONE says anything about it. How do you have a feature like that and everyone is just hunky-dory with it?

Dragonatrix posted:

Also, I dunno if it's just me but I really liked how simple Snake's power is, and how it wasn't explicitly spelled out but still made pretty obvious anyway. He has no head, so he can't see or hear but that's fine since he clearly has a tremorsense and can pick up on vibrations through the floor. It seemed like Nezumi'd figured it out, but he still got clearly worried that the headless Snake would notice him because of the radio for some reason. :v:

I am 100% sure that is not his real power, but just a decoy/secondary power. Since the old man mentioned the twins together make a frightening pair, my guess is their true power occurs when they're together. Maybe the snake is more like the Hydra, but hasn't revealed it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I've been wondering since episode 2 if maybe Snake might not actually be dead and can regenerate his head like how some lizards can (yeah lizards are not snakes but anime writers also aren't biologists so). The head count (heh) in the most recent episode seems to be supporting that.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Davincie posted:

snake, boar, dog and bird died. they say they need 3 more. they explicitly mention not counting the corpse. someone isn't actually dead. or its an error?

it definitely sounds like Duodecuple is saying three. this bit of the story occurs in the book after the war is actually down to six fighters, so this is all on the anime reordering and changing things.

another thing to note about it, since someone brought it up: the war is framed a bit differently in the book. the warriors enter into it to fulfill their given wish (though declining an invitation is also noted to be unheard of) and are completely unaware of the betting aspect. the rich and powerful are meanwhile wagering wealth and countries upon the outcome. it's not necessarily meant to resolve ongoing conflicts and nobody involved on the fighting or betting side is explicitly associated with any given nations.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Sheep should've let his grandson die since he's a shithead vita player

Got to root for tiger now

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

dogsicle posted:

it definitely sounds like Duodecuple is saying three. this bit of the story occurs in the book after the war is actually down to six fighters, so this is all on the anime reordering and changing things.

another thing to note about it, since someone brought it up: the war is framed a bit differently in the book. the warriors enter into it to fulfill their given wish (though declining an invitation is also noted to be unheard of) and are completely unaware of the betting aspect. the rich and powerful are meanwhile wagering wealth and countries upon the outcome. it's not necessarily meant to resolve ongoing conflicts and nobody involved on the fighting or betting side is explicitly associated with any given nations.

I recall them saying in the first episode participation was mandatory. (Quite a few fighters don't seem like they would have preferred not to enter.)

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Genocyber posted:

I've been wondering since episode 2 if maybe Snake might not actually be dead and can regenerate his head like how some lizards can (yeah lizards are not snakes but anime writers also aren't biologists so). The head count (heh) in the most recent episode seems to be supporting that.

Not just that, but the behavior as well. Recall how Boar animated after she died. There was nothing graceful or intelligent about it. Snake moves around with agency and even uses vibrations for tracking. That's too advanced for a zombie.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Mindblast posted:

Not just that, but the behavior as well. Recall how Boar animated after she died. There was nothing graceful or intelligent about it. Snake moves around with agency and even uses vibrations for tracking. That's too advanced for a zombie.
It seems like even as zombies they're all still able to use their unique special abilities, like Boar's infinite reload or Chicken's control over birds.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Depending upon Chicken's range, I don't see why she couldn't just swarm everyone else from a safe distance (like she did Boar's reanimated corpse). She'd be like a somewhat less effective Taylor from Worm (less effective because birds don't have venomous stingers/fangs and aren't as small, though the ability to see through their eyes, which Taylor couldn't do with her bugs, might make up for that). I guess you could find places to hide that birds can't access, but at the very least it would let you control peoples' movements.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

book stuff related to that:

her power is described almost like a contract where she provides something to the birds (food via corpses) in exchange for their aid. the two factors that limited her effectiveness in this war were there being fewer(?) birds in the city than a location closer to wilderness, and stripping boar to a skeleton filled up what remained of her army at that point. i don't really get how the first point is a thing, and the second is totally arbitrary, but if she just had them divebombing contestants i don't see how she could maintain a large enough force of birds to do much. it seems like her best chance would be to swoop in towards the end and pick off a remaining few fighters, if her birds could even do that much.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
She specifically said in the anime that she had to wait until her birds were hungry again. The assumption is that they won't eat people to death if they're not hungry.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
She was also lamenting how many birds had to die to take down Boar, so she doesn't have unlimited birds (and probably cares about them too)

Also if Monkey can just palm slap them all down, Ox would probably just eviscerate them all anyway

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Centzon Totochtin posted:

She was also lamenting how many birds had to die to take down Boar, so she doesn't have unlimited birds (and probably cares about them too)

Also if Monkey can just palm slap them all down, Ox would probably just eviscerate them all anyway

not to mention sheep blowing them to hell, and they probably wouldn't be able to affect horse

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Also side point since how Rabbit is controlling zombie birds is a bit unclear at the moment. He only controls that whom he kills, not just any dead body, since like he said, he's a necromanticist, not a necromancer. Whoever or whatever his team kills counts as his kills, hence why he's controlling the dead birds, since Boar shot a bunch of them.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Allarion posted:

Also side point since how Rabbit is controlling zombie birds is a bit unclear at the moment. He only controls that whom he kills, not just any dead body, since like he said, he's a necromanticist, not a necromancer. Whoever or whatever his team kills counts as his kills, hence why he's controlling the dead birds, since Boar shot a bunch of them.

I was thinking about that, and it actually is possible he's got what's left of Chicken under his control using your line of reasoning. That is, he got control of some of the birds when Boar shot them. If those birds were the ones that actually finished off Chicken at the end of episode three, then through the infectious nature of Nercromanticism, then we could actually see a chewed up skeletal Chicken before we're all through.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Paperhouse posted:

It seems like even as zombies they're all still able to use their unique special abilities, like Boar's infinite reload or Chicken's control over birds.

For sure, but not like they did in life. Boar turned into a mindless shambler who had problems standing and walking straight. Her aim was wild and all over the place. You'd ecpect Snake to be a shambling fire hazard.

The difference is pretty big. I suppose whether or not those differences are a clue depends on the original author and/or the studio's consistency in how everything is depicted. They could be going with "whatever works for the scene". I hope not, though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I'm 100% sure that there's something fishy about Snake's "death".

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I agree that there's something off but I do think that he's actually dead because dragon commented how it was shameful that snake got eliminated so early and became someone's puppet. If anyone has an idea of what snake's abilities are, it'd be his twin brother, right? There's no reason for him to be an unreliable narrator either because it's not like anyone else could hear him (I don't remember if he said it or thought it)

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I agree that there's something off but I do think that he's actually dead because dragon commented how it was shameful that snake got eliminated so early and became someone's puppet. If anyone has an idea of what snake's abilities are, it'd be his twin brother, right? There's no reason for him to be an unreliable narrator either because it's not like anyone else could hear him (I don't remember if he said it or thought it)

Are you talking about episode 1? Because that was the boar's internal monologue.

I'm more keen to believe the people in the viewing room. They are the ones with the stats and the money on the line, and said 3 confirmed kills (Boar, Dog, Chicken), which was the hint that Horse was still alive, but also that Snake is still valid to place bets on.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

AnacondaHL posted:

Are you talking about episode 1? Because that was the boar's internal monologue.

I'm more keen to believe the people in the viewing room. They are the ones with the stats and the money on the line, and said 3 confirmed kills (Boar, Dog, Chicken), which was the hint that Horse was still alive, but also that Snake is still valid to place bets on.

No, I think it was episode 2 after they all escaped from the building, Dragon was on top of the building watching Snake walk down the streets next to Rabbit

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe it's the gem? Boar swallowed the gem and because of that, the poison started eating away at her, whereas Snake got Kazuma'd before he swallowed the poisoned gem, so his corpse is spry, which is exactly what Rabbit needs.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Wark Say posted:

Maybe it's the gem? Boar swallowed the gem and because of that, the poison started eating away at her, whereas Snake got Kazuma'd before he swallowed the poisoned gem, so his corpse is spry, which is exactly what Rabbit needs.

the gem was removed from her almost instantly

if it had that much effect in the time she had it in her throat, the others should be way worse off by now

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It's suppose to take 24 hours before it starts affecting them. The description wasn't entirely clear to me, but I got the impression it had a harmless outer layer that needed to dissolve before the poison was released.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Clarste posted:

It's suppose to take 24 hours before it starts affecting them. The description wasn't entirely clear to me, but I got the impression it had a harmless outer layer that needed to dissolve before the poison was released.

12 hours.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

So this episode did poke a couple of holes in my "everything happens in sequence" theory. Because if Sheep won in the zodiac order and Boar won last time, it means Sheep's space station victory was 60 years ago. Which, granted, there's magic and poo poo going on here, but even so that's pretty far back to go.

Secondly, you'd have to be a pretty lovely gambler not to be able to guess who was going to win if it really did go in sequence every time, though I guess it could also be that there's some kind of perception filter going that keeps people from realizing what's happening..

Still, it does seem pretty unlikely unless Sheep's like eighty years old.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

jng2058 posted:

So this episode did poke a couple of holes in my "everything happens in sequence" theory. Because if Sheep won in the zodiac order and Boar won last time, it means Sheep's space station victory was 60 years ago. Which, granted, there's magic and poo poo going on here, but even so that's pretty far back to go.

Secondly, you'd have to be a pretty lovely gambler not to be able to guess who was going to win if it really did go in sequence every time, though I guess it could also be that there's some kind of perception filter going that keeps people from realizing what's happening..

Still, it does seem pretty unlikely unless Sheep's like eighty years old.

Sheep was stated to have won the 9th and this is the 12th. So he won 36 years ago.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Sheep was stated to have won the 9th and this is the 12th. So he won 36 years ago.

So yeah, that theory's shot. Because if Sheep was 9th, then Monkey should have been 10th and Rooster 11th, but we know that Boar was 11th. Well, guess I was overthinking it. :shrug:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
New Episode.

Horse is too timid to realize he had a good chance of victory. His fear of Ox prevents him from realizing he could have won. Ox gave up on pursuing him because Horse's armor only allowed Ox to inflict shallow wounds at best. But those shallow wounds broke Horse's confidence.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh poor ol' Muscles, thought of Ox and died.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Well, after a few episodes of no deaths, I was expecting a bunch in rapid succession but I figured it'd be in an episode or two. Guess they're ripping that bandage off now though, and Sharyu's death here became really obvious the instant she chased after Usagi. That was such a blatant trap... Still, rip Sharyu, and the other 2 guys I guess.

It did seem weird to me that last episode Snake didn't count as dead for the betting tally but after Sheep, that meant 6 deaths, so the 3 before was meant to be 4? I guess that weirdness is a result of the minor rearrangement Dogsicle mentioned before.

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

Was still kind of hoping monkey was going to magic transmute her wounds away or something, but then they said 6 remaining. Welp. RIP.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I hope tiger wins and gets to buy all the booze she wants

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Lookin' good for my sequential prediction, though. Monkey to Sheep to Horse, right in order. Take out what's left of Snake, then Dragon, Rabbit, Tiger, and Rat kills Ox to win it all.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

horse must have been the dullest of the lot, good riddance

also rat is totally a mind reader

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Even ignoring the zodiac sequence Rat definitely feels like the favorite at this point narratively.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well yeah, "killing all" is pretty clear.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

This makes his actual method even more curious. I wonder if a pattern is emerging here, and his way of acting around Monkey was more intentional than initially noticeable.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's just the nature of a battle royale, I suppose. :(

Also, I've read that there's a one-shot that takes place after the war AND that Nisio, ever the little scamp, will release a sequel to this novel soon. Because of course he wants all my money.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Wark Say posted:

Also, I've read that there's a one-shot that takes place after the war AND that Nisio, ever the little scamp, will release a sequel to this novel soon. Because of course he wants all my money.

I heard it's called Juuni Taisen vs Juuni Taisen.

Also while Sheep was taken out before he could do anything, his trump card bomb was left behind and is still in play.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Davincie posted:

also rat is totally a mind reader

And a ghost?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Wark Say posted:

I'm hoping Viz continues the media push and releases the sequel oneshot (it was part of some anthology) in addition to whatever new stuff he decides to write. dunno if i gushed about it in here yet but the hardcover of the novel they did is really nice, as is the translated manga being free (paced to avoid spoiling the show!), even if i think it's by far the weakest version of the story.

• Locked thread