Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

edit: wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Huh he does not have a wish.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I post those chapter title images for a reason! Admittedly, most of the wishes are pretty explicit by the story.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Captain_duck posted:

Man that episode was terrible. The animation was all over the place, all the faces looked horrible. Plotwise it was completely useless to. Im guessing this was an outsourced episode?

I’m not sure ‘usefulness to the plot’ is a meaningful metric in Juni Taisen. The progression is clear - we know who will die and in which order. The only real questions are the hows and whys - what circumstances will bring about each fighter’s death when their time comes, what are they doing here, and what is the show trying to say about the whole bloody process?

From that perspective, I’d say this was one of the most important episodes yet, laying out a clear argument about the meaning of the Juni Taisen and the story itself. Dragon and Snake aren’t just another pair of fighters - they’re the battle royale’s elite, callous audience stripped of all pretension, and then sent out to die because the great and the good find their own reflections intolerable. They murder for fun, friendly competition, and empty profit, and then throw their unwanted earnings to the masses in order to get another sort of cheap laughs. It’s international warfare writ small, minus any illusion that the principals’ greed and hedonism serves any higher purpose.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Odd amount of CG this episode.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

graphinica is a studio primarily known for cg work, iirc

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Oh yeah if your wondering Why this episode told us nothing about Rabbit. It's because one of the things about him in the novel is that nothing was known about him not even his real name.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Oh yeah if your wondering Why this episode told us nothing about Rabbit. It's because one of the things about him in the novel is that nothing was known about him not even his real name.

:argh:

Allarion fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 28, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
He's totally going to possess Tiger since she drank his blood or something. That's why we got her backstory this time. :tinfoil:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Nov 28, 2017

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
It was pretty funny that the episode was allegedly about Usagi, but beyond the cold open and the very end he wasn't in at all. That sure is one way to not have to explain anything about him, I guess. :v:

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is it me or do the novel illustrations look really... rough?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I bet you could avoid Usagi killing you if you just offered to be his friend before he did so.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wonder if we're going to get more Tiger backstory next episode, since they, as far as I know, are going to do twelve episodes still, but now they're down a backstory for each one. Or will they do something different for one maybe?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The images did not work right in your post for some reason.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I assume it's the spoiler tag messing with it

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

its sad how awful everything outside the main fight looked

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
My guess is Rabbit can still control monkey which is why we had that lingering shot of his head right after they were talking about how the corpses can still see and monkey comes and ambushes the victor of the duel but I've been wrong about a lot so far so who knows

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Centzon Totochtin posted:

My guess is Rabbit can still control monkey which is why we had that lingering shot of his head right after they were talking about how the corpses can still see and monkey comes and ambushes the victor of the duel but I've been wrong about a lot so far so who knows

well also, rabbit's eyes are the same as all of the zombies...

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Ytlaya posted:

I bet you could avoid Usagi killing you if you just offered to be his friend before he did so.

I'm not sure if he really understands "friendship" outside the context of mindless rotting puppets.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if rabbit can control anyone he kills, why would he be an exception?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

Condiv posted:

well also, rabbit's eyes are the same as all of the zombies...
Maybe we haven't seen Rabbit's real body yet. :tinfoil:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
All of a sudden this is a cg show...? Man they are having some weird production issues. Story wise this show seems to be devolving into insanity.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Most of the CG was used when the characters were just standing still, too. They really didn't have time to draw that?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Demicol posted:

Most of the CG was used when the characters were just standing still, too. They really didn't have time to draw that?

Yet they did have time to draw all of Tigers backstory.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Apparently it's normal for studios to contract out episodes or parts of episodes to other studios, I would guess the flashback was done by one studio (the main one?) and the rest by another studio that likes CG.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

There's three episodes left, so I'm thinking one for the Tiger/Ox fight doubling as Ox's backstory (Tiger looses), one for the Rat/Ox fight doubling as Rat's backstory (Ox looses), one for a final twist that's going to make or break the show.

I will watch this show to the end, but man, it really did go downhill after the first three episodes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
A look into a great big production trainwreck this season that doesn’t mention Juni Taisen specifically, but shines light on some of the stranger production issues it’s experiencing.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i can't​ speak to specifics but the studio on this being geared towards cg may account for weaker 2d like with last week. i haven't seen this week's ep yet but wouldn't be surprised that production issues from earlier have continued to pile up and affect even their "specialty." of course, outsourcing could account for this too. :shrug:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

dogsicle posted:

i can't​ speak to specifics but the studio on this being geared towards cg may account for weaker 2d like with last week. i haven't seen this week's ep yet but wouldn't be surprised that production issues from earlier have continued to pile up and affect even their "specialty." of course, outsourcing could account for this too. :shrug:

It definitely feels like a pile up because earlier episodes we're perfectly fine. These issues seem to have crept in gradually until we get monstrosities like that last episode where they just took the op models and animated them, and the stuff that was drawn was obviously and comically rushed.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I keep checking this thread but until one of these eps gets you guys excited I'm not watching any of it. It's a shame it got this bad.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mindblast posted:

I keep checking this thread but until one of these eps gets you guys excited I'm not watching any of it. It's a shame it got this bad.
Eps 1-through-6 are solid, if a bit uneven in places. 7-8 are very lackluster, visually speaking and 9 is straight up garbo for the most part. I wonder if this is going to make Nisio go:

:mad: Nisio: "gently caress this, it's either Shinbo Simbo or Nada."
:confused: Editor: "Nisio, I think that Bo--"
:mad: Nisio: "SHINBO SIMBO OR NADA!" :argh:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

dragon went out like the biggest bitch. even sheep had a better fight than him

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

*snake dies while trying to protect he brother*

dragon: pff, stupid brother you were so dumb

*dragon gets taken out sitting around like an idiot*

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I'm glad that tiger didn't focus on the liquid part of liquid hydrogen and try to drink it

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I'm glad that tiger didn't focus on the liquid part of liquid hydrogen and try to drink it

i'm the exact opposite of glad about this. she would have been fine, jeez.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

also, it's p inconsistent that dragon could see tiger and ox on the ground with he brother's body, but he couldn't see rabbit coming at him from the same direction as his brother's head

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Just caught up and uh, yep, this sure is a Nisiosin joint, which is to say, it sure revels in being as unsatisfying as possible.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Pootybutt posted:

Just caught up and uh, yep, this sure is a Nisiosin joint, which is to say, it sure revels in being as unsatisfying as possible.

Yeah geez, all that setup for tiger and then it's wasted on the most unsatisfying end to that arc ever. Also they reused animation like a mofo at the start of episode 10.

I was all ready to write off this episode until... holy poo poo, Rabbit, holy poo poo :stare:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Turns out Rabbit had a plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Somehow, I felt more aggrieved over Tori not getting her riceball than I did over Tora not getting her heartfelt reunion

• Locked thread