Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

It's hard for shows to walk that fine edge between edgy and tryhard, and I feel this show edges that edge well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Hey, this is p good

ok show I'm in.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I kinda wish she did go with her initial "eh, you'll figure it out when you're older" response because that would have been hilarious.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I agree that there's something off but I do think that he's actually dead because dragon commented how it was shameful that snake got eliminated so early and became someone's puppet. If anyone has an idea of what snake's abilities are, it'd be his twin brother, right? There's no reason for him to be an unreliable narrator either because it's not like anyone else could hear him (I don't remember if he said it or thought it)

Are you talking about episode 1? Because that was the boar's internal monologue.

I'm more keen to believe the people in the viewing room. They are the ones with the stats and the money on the line, and said 3 confirmed kills (Boar, Dog, Chicken), which was the hint that Horse was still alive, but also that Snake is still valid to place bets on.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Don't forget [the hamfisted cult organizations that have the ongoing brilliant plan of making a team of two in a free-for-all last man standing with no further logistical strategy and somehow the participants were unaware of this] in the list of :wtc: plot expositions

Cancel this show, make a spinoff of Monkey's Diplomatic Ventures.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Srice posted:

With how they talked about it later I assumed that if they knew upfront they might have changed their minds. And that the cult put both of them in so that they would use the results to say which of the two families was stronger.

The fact that they were given a chance to "might have changed their minds" is a strategic flaw from the get-go.

Lets consider these two lines, one where the snake and dragon orgs are in fact competing to see who is stronger, and one where they legit want to work together.

In scenario 1, there is just no reason for them to work together. Do they think in magic happy land that they will work together until the end when it's just the two of them remaining and battle it out in a fair fight? No of course not that's absurd, and we've already had several characters think about the team-making dynamics in this FFA and how teams effectively have to be fleeting and end early to prevent being backstabbed or to be the backstabber. Obviously with the cult they could have groomed the behavior of the twins to do this plan, but I am of course making up this scenario to try and give the benefit of the doubt, and the show did not do this, so we are back to discussing how poor the episode itself was.

In scenario 2, again there are too many holes to fill. Why is there no established plan for the desired case of the two of them being the last ones left? Why didn't they discuss how the wish would be granted at the end, or discuss some terms of splitting the reward? Why didn't the cult just brainwash them so that they understood who would be the support and who would be the carry? There were so many simple ways to convey this, yet the show did none of this and we are back to discussing why the episode was poorly planned/executed.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

That last episode was an egregious cost savings episode. You could barely tell when it was spoken dialogue or an internal monologue, not to mention the ridiculous amount of internal monologue stretched out to fill runtime. I started feeling bad for Tiger's VA, doing an admirable professional job in the face of such nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Harry posted:

So I'm not sure if I missed something, but the tournament director was just going to kill the winner because he didn't do the interview? Or is it implied he knew about rats power?

No, this was not made clear for anime-only viewers. Storyboard dropped the ball on this.

• Locked thread