Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Spoilering speculation based on observational evidence for the sensitive. So, looking at the ED, with Boar and Dog being both the first two shown and the first two to die, I'm thinking it's possible that the appearance order in the ED is the order of death, meaning that Chicken will die next episode, and that the final battle will be Rat killing Ox.

Just getting that out there early in case I turn out to be right. :tipshat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Tamba posted:

That's also the reverse of the order of the zodiac animals
https://www.chinahighlights.com/travelguide/chinese-zodiac/story.htm

Oooh, good one. I hadn't thought of that. :golfclap:

Moltrey posted:

Here's a discussion bone to chew on. Spoilers for Episode 2 below if anyone is just checking the thread out.

Y'all think Chicken was playing the longcon to get Dog's super serum or genuinely wanted to team up and just took advantage of his pretty dumb move? The way she kills him almost looks accidental iirc, a sort of Pet The Doggy motion.

We'll have to see in her POV episode, but she sure seemed sincere all the way through. I'm guessing accident.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

LostRook posted:

Your speculation misses Snake, in the same sense that Snake is missing his head.

Sure, but he died off screen before the competition proper started. Arguably he doesn't count. :colbert:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

jng2058 posted:

We'll have to see in her POV episode, but she sure seemed sincere all the way through. I'm guessing accident.

Nnnooope. So it looks like everyone here's some kind of bastard. I'm guessing Monkey drugged Chicken's drink in some way to encourage her to go off and die like she did. Killing peacefully is presumably "I find a way to get you to kill yourself."

jng2058 posted:

Spoilering speculation based on observational evidence for the sensitive. So, looking at the ED, with Boar and Dog being both the first two shown and the first two to die, I'm thinking it's possible that the appearance order in the ED is the order of death, meaning that Chicken will die next episode, and that the final battle will be Rat killing Ox.

Three for three, with Monkey next in reverse Zodiac, appearance in ED, and now being setup in the Next Time spot. That puts Sheep, Horse, and then whatever the heck they're doing with Snake and Dragon as the next few after that.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

3 for 3 is a pattern, and that's exactly why I think Monkey will not die next episode. If the Monogatari series and the first episode of this has taught me anything, it's that Nisioisin likes loving with your expectations. (Also why are we spoiler tagging speculation on the already aired episode?)

Habit. :shrug:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

So something else occurs to me. Here's the Chinese Zodiac, presented in a wheel as it usually is:

We know from episode one, that last time Boar (Pig) won. What if the Old Boar has realized that it really is a cycle every time? That since he won last time, that the next winner will be Rat? In that case, his decision to name his psychotic daughter (who couldn't possibly live a "normal" life successfully) wasn't really about choosing the best chance to win, since there is none, but rather an attempt to spare the daughter who had a better chance of a future by sacrificing the clearly damaged one? Which makes it that much more tragic that Current Boar went behind his back to arrange for her sister's suicide...and ended up dying first, as her father may have known she would.

Which suggests...

ViggyNash posted:

3 for 3 is a pattern, and that's exactly why I think Monkey will not die next episode. If the Monogatari series and the first episode of this has taught me anything, it's that Nisioisin likes loving with your expectations.

...may be correct. Since if anyone's going to recognize the pattern and look for a way to subvert it, it'll be Monkey.

If she can.

After all, since there really is magic in this world, this could be a "Cabin in the Woods" type scenario where everything depends on the avatars of the Zodiac all dying in the right order every contest, and there may well be serious magic that ensures this is the case.

e: Oh, and if Monkey does bite it next episode, I'm wagering it'll be Ox who kills her, thus giving added motivation for Rat to be the one who kills Ox in the finale.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Oct 18, 2017

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Mindblast posted:

Where have you seen this? None of the released material so far supports this as far as I know. Every character has some paranormal ability. Hers could easily be a type of overpowering charisma that just works all the time passively on everyone she meets.

It was just a guess since Chicken really lost control of herself after she drank Monkey's coffee. Monkey could have stupid high magic charm spell or some such, but since she had had her back to chicken while she prepared the coffee, it would have been pretty easy to drug it, then hand it to poor conflicted Chicken, thus sending her to her death. Either way, it's pretty much "Go die for me".

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Davincie posted:

drat they broke the trend

Only in that no one died at all. But of course, they did have a spare episode since technically Snake and Boar both died in episode one so Monkey could still die next ep and keep the sequence order intact.

Davincie posted:

also i totally forgot about tiger's existence until this ep

Yeah, she and Dragon have been the quietest so far.

Pootybutt posted:

Raised/trained in the ways of alchemy by monkey furries is not the backstory I was expecting, but I'll roll w it.

Yeah....that wasn't what I expected. But what the hell, they've already got a Necromancer, Monkey's background really just fits in.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Allarion posted:

Also side point since how Rabbit is controlling zombie birds is a bit unclear at the moment. He only controls that whom he kills, not just any dead body, since like he said, he's a necromanticist, not a necromancer. Whoever or whatever his team kills counts as his kills, hence why he's controlling the dead birds, since Boar shot a bunch of them.

I was thinking about that, and it actually is possible he's got what's left of Chicken under his control using your line of reasoning. That is, he got control of some of the birds when Boar shot them. If those birds were the ones that actually finished off Chicken at the end of episode three, then through the infectious nature of Nercromanticism, then we could actually see a chewed up skeletal Chicken before we're all through.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

So this episode did poke a couple of holes in my "everything happens in sequence" theory. Because if Sheep won in the zodiac order and Boar won last time, it means Sheep's space station victory was 60 years ago. Which, granted, there's magic and poo poo going on here, but even so that's pretty far back to go.

Secondly, you'd have to be a pretty lovely gambler not to be able to guess who was going to win if it really did go in sequence every time, though I guess it could also be that there's some kind of perception filter going that keeps people from realizing what's happening..

Still, it does seem pretty unlikely unless Sheep's like eighty years old.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Sheep was stated to have won the 9th and this is the 12th. So he won 36 years ago.

So yeah, that theory's shot. Because if Sheep was 9th, then Monkey should have been 10th and Rooster 11th, but we know that Boar was 11th. Well, guess I was overthinking it. :shrug:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Lookin' good for my sequential prediction, though. Monkey to Sheep to Horse, right in order. Take out what's left of Snake, then Dragon, Rabbit, Tiger, and Rat kills Ox to win it all.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

So it occurs to me that presuming the betting, as it appears, is sports book style with everyone competing individually against the house, then by totally underselling Rat ("who has yet to do anything") they're totally spiking the players into losing big if rat does indeed come out ahead in the end. This is even more vicious if the house themselves have figured the death pattern out, in which case they may know that Rat's gonna win!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Araki posted:

Man, I was so sure Horse would burst out of the vault at the very last second.

The Serpentine Bros suck, and so did their backstory. They used to be... petty thieves? Except they kind of sucked at it? And they had some vaguely-defined rivalry going on? And then they were in a warehouse, doing... things for... reasons?

Looks like next week is Part 2 of the Snake & Dragon story, so maybe we'll get some answers. Or, better yet, maybe Dragon will be next to die.

Snake's body gets fully destroyed, probably by fire, then Dragon bites it, with Rabbit next after that. I have faith in the order of things. :colbert:

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

In particular, Snake says "Hey, lemme take the lizard and we can all walk out of this" and the guards were willing to try and kill him to keep it and, as it turned out, to die in a fire for it implies it had more value than one you'd pick up at PetSmart for a hundred bucks.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Concur, the art was rushed and clumsy, and there was no good action to speak of. Pretty much a filler ep, since we already knew that Snake and Dragon were a couple of shits from the previous ep. Hell, they didn't even finish off Snake's body, or kill Dragon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Well that was an incredible anti-climax. I've rarely seen a show get so crappy so fast. :sigh:

• Locked thread