Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm catching up on this, but, did Sheep not have any power? He was ridiculously physically fit, perhaps, but other than that he didn't do anything particularly special, just shot and blew up people and stuff, and that level of fitness isn't anything special in this universe anyway. Given that everyone else who's been elaborated upon seems to have at least some sort of ability, it's surprising and odd that he lacks one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MonsterEnvy posted:

I know that Ox is stated not to have any powers. He is just fast, and skilled.

Well, that one is a surprise. Though I guess that it's possible in a universe where people were doing all the other crazy physical stuff they've been doing without powers too it's plausible. Still odd that even wonder-drugged Chicken was inferior to him though.

GrudgeOnion posted:

I think we'll get to see Old Timer do its thing before the show ends.

Given how many times it was brought up and the number of lingering shots on it both before and after Sheep's death, yeah, it seems like it kind of has to go off eventually. Pretty much every other little thing was relevant, even if it had to come after the owner's death (such as Boar's Non-Reload killing many more birds for Rabbit to claim and showing that Rabbit's victims retain their powers).

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darth Walrus posted:

That said, Sheep ended his last JT in half an hour because the other eleven folks were too dumb to realise how incredibly dangerous fighting in space was.

Doesn’t seem like the sort of experience that would give you a healthy respect for the talent you’d be up against.

I wonder how that'd affect the betting; going straight from 12 to 1, assuming he pulled his trick right away, doesn't give time for the "half the crowd's dead, place your bets" thing.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wark Say posted:

Snake didn't need no head to keep chasing Rat.

Well, that's due to Snake's power, since he feels vibrations through the ground. It's why he didn't react to Rat peeking out to see if he was still being followed, only him moving his feet and so on.

This is pretty interesting. Thanks for writing this. It'd also be a commentary on the genre and similar types of shows, with all the same points basically, I imagine, albeit somewhat less judge-y about it since it's fictional and whatnot.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wonder if we're going to get more Tiger backstory next episode, since they, as far as I know, are going to do twelve episodes still, but now they're down a backstory for each one. Or will they do something different for one maybe?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't know, if his body could still speak or communicate somehow, and it got all the gems, couldn't it still win? I think the gems were the win condition, not being the last survivor; Monkey had a plan to keep people alive and still win, after all. Perhaps he wanted his body to wish himself back to life after killing the others?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
From what I understand the original was a short story, so it probably wasn't meant to be stretched so much. Based on those information paragraphs that have been posted, I'm guessing we're getting an episode per chapter, maybe? But yeah, while I liked Rabbit's plan here personally, particularly his head trying to bite its way up Ox's sword, there was way too much talking this time.

I'm not sure if the next two episodes will be much better on this front either; the backstory stuff basically fills in the space between real fight things, and with this few characters left and how the show doesn't seem to want to do grand, climactic battles and whatnot, they're also probably going to be mostly flashback. Hopefully they're at least more action-y flashback rather than almost entirely talking this this one.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Huh. I was not expecting a whole episode after the contest ended. Can they really make an entire episode out of that? I mean, I guess that was a full chapter in the novel, given that each episode seems to cover a chapter based on the stuff that's been posted here, but in a short story a chapter can also be pretty short.

jng2058 posted:

Well that was an incredible anti-climax. I've rarely seen a show get so crappy so fast. :sigh:

I'm thinking that this might not have been the best choice for a full anime series. More of an OVA or two perhaps. Stretching it out so much probably did it a disservice, at least for the parts where, due to how fast things actually happened in-universe, the only way to prolong it was internal monologues, flashbacks, and discussions that really shouldn't have taken so much time given what was happening at the same time. Like, pretty much everything in this and the last episode, and some stuff from the episode before that really, could have easily been condensed into a single episode.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Modus Pwnens posted:

The original was a one-shot manga (untranslated at the moment, at least not officially) that takes place after the Zodiac War and is about the victors struggling to choose a wish. All the other fighters are only introduced with no more than a single panel each. Though this came out first, it *completely* spoils the ending of the book.

The novel (full length) was written after that, with one chapter to each fighter, and one page each for their back stories.

I haven't been watching the anime but it sounds like it's following the same plot.

The manga (ongoing) follows the novel very closely so far, with the addition of an observer character, and some expanding upon the characters' backgrounds but not in an overly lengthy way.

Oh, really? Huh, I was misinformed then. Interesting. Well, thank you for correcting me then.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, that montage was really, really weird. It was almost like a montage of his deaths from the other routes he took through the competition, him getting taken out by the other competitors and stuff as he tried to find the one route that didn't end in him dying, not what the Juni Taisen itself would have done to him for not agreeing to an interview, and it got repurposed at the last minute or something.

Anyway, while we're discussing our favorite characters, mine were Monkey (of course), Sheep (my Zodiac sign, and also I liked the whole "just blow them all up" thing), and Rabbit. I have enjoyed the show so far too, but I think it got way too wordy and monologue-y as it went on. Or, rather, not enough was happening while the monologues happened; it was really wordy from the start, but it was while things were happening, while in the last few episodes things that took a few seconds had minute+ speeches along with them.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Huh, yep. That's everyone back from the grave for this. Odd.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it had to be them trying to force him into the interview, since he just casually dropped a reference to his power and the guy knew what he was talking about. They knew they could kill him because they, well, wouldn't actually kill him.

On a tangent, the Rat's power is interesting. He seems unexceptional by the story's standards otherwise, but it's a sure-win power as long as he can win (I assume if, like, he was stuck in a one on one match with the Ox or whatever, he'd be screwed because all one hundred options just lead to his death, because like hell he's beating the Ox in a straight fight, as an example; he also mentioned being unable to get out of the Juni Taisen, I think). That also explains what, "Killing all," meant; his power basically guaranteed his victory, which necessitated everyone else dying. Therefore, no matter what, he's going to ensure that everyone else is dead. (Or, alternatively, it could be a reference to him "destroying worlds" or whatever he said when talking about his power in comparison to Monkey saving the most people, etc.)

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

MonsterEnvy posted:

I feel the ending was fitting.

Brutal.

Yeah, I can see what people said about the last episode probably being what was originally a one-shot manga. I can see how that could have been the original story, then the rest of Juni Taisen was made after that.

Anyway, I enjoyed it myself, though, as I've said, I feel that it being made into a twelve episode anime, rather than an OVA or two, hurt it. It didn't break into twelve parts cleanly; some parts would have been better off shorter, and maybe one or two segments could have been lengthened and explored in more depth meanwhile. I still liked it, but I can see why people wouldn't; it had some rough parts and such.

The show kind of feels like it was a... Not a parody exactly, but, a deconstruction maybe, there's probably a better term, of the battle royale "genre". You had a bunch of mostly-terrible people fighting for no good reason, dying in ways that were often pointless and unsatisfying, watched by an audience who cares more about how entertaining they are than anything else, and in the end it was all for nothing. I had these thoughts a few weeks ago and forgot some of the points I had come up with in the meantime, but I think I'm still communicating the general idea. (Of course, it itself is still kind of what it's taking a shot at and would arguably be hypocritical if that was its purpose since it still is everything it tears down, but...)

Then again I could be overthinking it; this is actually the first NisiOisiN thing I've seen, and people have been talking about how he likes anticlimax and stuff, so maybe I'm reading into things too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Someone said the last episode was originally a one-shot, which I could definitely see upon watching it. Despite referencing the Juni Taisen it was very self-contained and used all the other characters mostly to add insight into Rat and provide various wish ideas.

And yeah, there are multiple factors in Rat wishing to forget it all. How horrible it was, the guilt. and just sheer indecision over the wish, where any answer he comes up with he second-guesses and thinks he'll regret. Kid is having a breakdown by the time Duodecouple shows up to ask what he wishes for. (And suggests that Rat could wish for more wishes, which is interesting, since usually that's expressly forbidden.)

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 1, 2018

• Locked thread