Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Wonder what would have happened had Monkey's alliance not broken down. Both Horse and Ox were interested and willing to go along with it. Up until Rabbit also expressed interest and they backed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Sindai posted:

rip horse, saw an ox and died

Turns out no.

Another episode with out casualties. Just an episode were we find out about Sheep.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also as the series is going in Zodiac Order for focus episodes it appears, Horse's focus is next episode

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

dogsicle posted:

it definitely sounds like Duodecuple is saying three. this bit of the story occurs in the book after the war is actually down to six fighters, so this is all on the anime reordering and changing things.

another thing to note about it, since someone brought it up: the war is framed a bit differently in the book. the warriors enter into it to fulfill their given wish (though declining an invitation is also noted to be unheard of) and are completely unaware of the betting aspect. the rich and powerful are meanwhile wagering wealth and countries upon the outcome. it's not necessarily meant to resolve ongoing conflicts and nobody involved on the fighting or betting side is explicitly associated with any given nations.

I recall them saying in the first episode participation was mandatory. (Quite a few fighters don't seem like they would have preferred not to enter.)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Clarste posted:

It's suppose to take 24 hours before it starts affecting them. The description wasn't entirely clear to me, but I got the impression it had a harmless outer layer that needed to dissolve before the poison was released.

12 hours.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

jng2058 posted:

So this episode did poke a couple of holes in my "everything happens in sequence" theory. Because if Sheep won in the zodiac order and Boar won last time, it means Sheep's space station victory was 60 years ago. Which, granted, there's magic and poo poo going on here, but even so that's pretty far back to go.

Secondly, you'd have to be a pretty lovely gambler not to be able to guess who was going to win if it really did go in sequence every time, though I guess it could also be that there's some kind of perception filter going that keeps people from realizing what's happening..

Still, it does seem pretty unlikely unless Sheep's like eighty years old.

Sheep was stated to have won the 9th and this is the 12th. So he won 36 years ago.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
New Episode.

Horse is too timid to realize he had a good chance of victory. His fear of Ox prevents him from realizing he could have won. Ox gave up on pursuing him because Horse's armor only allowed Ox to inflict shallow wounds at best. But those shallow wounds broke Horse's confidence.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Wark Say posted:

It's just the nature of a battle royale, I suppose. :(

Also, I've read that there's a one-shot that takes place after the war AND that Nisio, ever the little scamp, will release a sequel to this novel soon. Because of course he wants all my money.

I heard it's called Juuni Taisen vs Juuni Taisen.

Also while Sheep was taken out before he could do anything, his trump card bomb was left behind and is still in play.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kytrarewn posted:

This seems to indicate that it was Nezumi that caused Tori's downfall, and not some combination of Inu and Saru. Uma was having the same sort of out-of-character thoughts following their encounter that Tori was upon her death.

Not really he was just being kind of a coward. Though Rat did cause Horse's death, mainly by leading Snake to the Area and Horse did not take Rat's advice to leave because Snake was coming.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth Walrus posted:

And she could carry and shoot two LMGs at once with reasonable accuracy without breaking her arms. I think she actually had the biggest mismatch of any of the cast between her build and the strength required to use her weapons.

Well had it not been for Snake she probably would have taken out Rabbit.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Snake's corpse still seems to be MVP.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Darth Walrus posted:

Kind of a butt episode this time. Those faces were seriously off seriously often. Hopefully doesn’t indicate more serious, long-term production issues.

The only faces that were off were those no name thug dudes.

Also we finally got the way of killing for all contestants.

Rat "Kills All"
Ox "Kills Systemically"
Monkey "Kills Peacefully"
Boar "Kills Bountifully"
Rabbit "Kills Psychotically"
Sheep "Kills Deceptively"
Tiger "Kills in a Drunken Rage"
Horse "Kills Silently"
Dog "Kills by Biting "
Chicken "Kills by Pecking"
Snake "Kills for Money"
Dragon "Kills for Money"

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Nov 15, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
From checking it also does not appear that Horse ever had anything to do with the military in the original novel. Apparently he was just a weak teen who felt vulnerable and so bulked up using lots of exercise and steroids.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mindblast posted:

One thing that we may get to witness, now that Monkey is dead, is just how mad her abilities are since she's no longer inhibited by morals and values. Which is seriously the only thing that kept her from being the most likely survivor.

Well we saw her turn a chunk of building into dust. Which is more then she has done with her cool alchemy powers then before in the fight.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i doubt that previous competitions allowed for multiple winners, but they definitely allowed for multiple survivors.

Yeah even here there could be multiple.

Sharyu apparently figured out a way for multiple survivors. Sheep never ate his gem so he could have for sure survived as well if he gave the gem away.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Condiv posted:

yeah but why?

His bio says why. He is a pet reptile enthusiast. Likely he stole the lizard cause he wanted it as a new pet.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Roland Jones posted:

I'm catching up on this, but, did Sheep not have any power? He was ridiculously physically fit, perhaps, but other than that he didn't do anything particularly special, just shot and blew up people and stuff, and that level of fitness isn't anything special in this universe anyway. Given that everyone else who's been elaborated upon seems to have at least some sort of ability, it's surprising and odd that he lacks one.

I know that Ox is stated not to have any powers. He is just fast, and skilled.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Another new episode focused on the Brothers. They are terrible people

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Centzon Totochtin posted:

Also I'm pretty sure Tiger should've been more badly burned considering how much gasoline there was but whatever

Considering she drank gasoline to no ill effects. She may just be inhuman enough to shrug it off.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Huh he does not have a wish.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Odd amount of CG this episode.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Oh yeah if your wondering Why this episode told us nothing about Rabbit. It's because one of the things about him in the novel is that nothing was known about him not even his real name.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

The images did not work right in your post for some reason.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Demicol posted:

Most of the CG was used when the characters were just standing still, too. They really didn't have time to draw that?

Yet they did have time to draw all of Tigers backstory.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Turns out Rabbit had a plan

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Tiger kind of got what she wanted.

Not too shocked that Ox is not too bad a guy.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

dogsicle posted:

if everyone except rabbit dies, i don't know what the taisen staff would do. rabbit can only give simple orders to his corpses so yeah i don't see his corpse redeeming the wish or anything but technically he would be the winner?

Get the Gems, kill everyone, wish me back seems like a fairly simple set of orders. The only issue would be if Rabbit's corpse can't talk. (given that Monkey's Corpse has made some sounds, they may be able to if given explicit orders)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Allarion posted:

That's how the novel actually ended, with the wish left open. :ssh:

I'm assuming next week is the manga one-shot

Yeah I think the Manga one shot did give a wish. Also apparently Rat went through 100 scenarios to avoid participating the Juuni Taisen to begin with. But was unable to find one were he got out of it.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 12, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also fun thing for the English Dub. The voice actor for Boar did not learn her character was killed off until recording was done.

https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/940720500438904832

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
While I know nothing about the new novel I recently learned his characters are based on the Western Zodiac instead.

Aries the sheep
Taurus the bull
Gemini the twins (Who appear to be two people but unlike Snake and Dragon count as one fighter.)
Cancer the crab
Leo the lion
Libra the scales
Scorpio the scorpion
Sagittarius the centaur archer
Pisces the fish
Capricorn the goat
and Aquarius the water bearer

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Modus Pwnens posted:

According to one review I read the original fighters are all back in an alternate timeline sort of fashion and double spoiler seriously this is a spoiler: they die in reverse order.

Instead of the new group I named. Cause if thats the case this is untrue.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Modus Pwnens posted:

In addition. The title is Juni Taisen VS Juni Taisen

Huh strange.

Cover.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Dec 14, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I believe this is how they divide up.
Taurus

Sagitarius

Leo

Aries

Scorpio

Pisces

Aquarius

Libra

Capricorn

Gemini

Virgo

Cancer

Cancer is the only one that does not really fit his theme, but process of elimination means it has to be him.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 15, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I remember in Medaka Box Nisio made a group of villains whose entire powers had to do with word play.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Like from the wiki this is one of the villains powers involving language.

quote:

Misconversion User (誤変換使い, Gohenkan Tsukai): Similarly to the errors made by an old computer, Kugurugi converts words from hiragana incorrectly. Of the six Language Users, Kanaino claims that Kugurugi's style is one of the worst.

Combine Everything: If Kugurugi is to slip (滑る, suberu) while attacking, she is able to take the properties of everything (全る, suberu) in the area (such as peoples' physical strength) and combine (結べる, suberu) them all into one attack. When used on Kumagawa in the presence of the Student Council and two other suitors, Kugurugi was powerful enough to completely obliterate Kumagawa's arm.
Nothing: If an opponent is to confront (迎え撃つ, mukaeutsu) Kugurugi, she is able to reduce their attack to nothing (無変え写, mukaeutsu).
Really Hot Ice: By forcing an opponent into contact with really thick ice (ぶ厚い氷, buatsui koori), Kugurugi burns them by making it really hot ice (ぶ熱い氷, buatsui koori).

To non native speakers this was super confusing and would be near impossible to translate.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I picked that one cause it was one of the easier ones to understand while getting the point across. The Kanji user is crazy complex.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I feel the ending was fitting.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Condiv posted:

that was a lovely wish for a lovely show

if i won the juuni taisen i would wish nisio would never get to do anything again

He does some good stuff so that is mean.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The Zodiac Criminals from the sequel all have super weird names and Code names

Maryland Sherry. Codename: Friend Sheep, Criminal of Aries
Luka Michael. Codename: Look Me, Criminal of Taurus
W2222 & M2222. Codename: Double Mind, Criminal of Gemini
Andy Almull. Codename: Eyeon Mii, Criminal of Virgo
Caesar Caesar (Pronounced Caesar Kaiser). Codename: Sir Cancer, Criminal of Cancer
Aaron Smith. Codename: Balon Su, Criminal of Libra
Dandy Lion. Codename: Dandy Lion, Criminal of Leo
Sashitari Usuki. Codename: Umun Sajari, Criminal of Sagittarius
None. Codename: Skull Pyon, Criminal of Scorpio (His wish is apparently to have a real name.)
Thomas B. Tholls. Codename: Muppet Bottle, Criminal of Aquarius
Valkyrie Goto. Codename: Go To Heaven, Criminal of Capricorn
Fuji Nocturne. Codename: Doctor Finish, Criminal of Pisces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Roland Jones posted:

Someone said the last episode was originally a one-shot, which I could definitely see upon watching it. Despite referencing the Juni Taisen it was very self-contained and used all the other characters mostly to add insight into Rat and provide various wish ideas.

And yeah, there are multiple factors in Rat wishing to forget it all. How horrible it was, the guilt. and just sheer indecision over the wish, where any answer he comes up with he second-guesses and thinks he'll regret. Kid is having a breakdown by the time Duodecouple shows up to ask what he wishes for. (And suggests that Rat could wish for more wishes, which is interesting, since usually that's expressly forbidden.)

Saying you can wish for more wishes but he doubts all the wishes in the world will satisfy someones ambition. (Also like he did when he forced Rat into the interview he would likley screw over anyone that made a wish like that.)

• Locked thread