Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Having writeups of the twelve Chinese zodiac personality archetypes would be nice. Most of what I've been able to find has been pretty incomplete for one reason or another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I get the impression Monkey genuinely wants to end things peacefully if possible, given her whole background involves repeatedly successfully ending conflicts.

Also, if the zodiac race keeps panning out, her dying early (but passing on her ideals to others) seems like a natural option to keep the conflict going but still offer a little hope.

For the record, I may have found some decent Chinese zodiac personality profiles.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Oct 13, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sindai posted:

I laughed.

Also, Pigs get on poorly with Monkeys... but very well with Rabbits.

Roosters and Dogs aren't a great combination, either. Maybe Uuma will have better luck with Niwatori if he lives long enough to meet her?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
It wasn’t the drink that got Niwatori. She was aware that she was acting out of character before she even took a sip. Either Monkey is capable of mind-control, or she just hit her kryptonite - a bit of genuine kindness and sincerity for someone who’d been completely emotionally unprepared for them. She was likely correct about the One-Man Army drug affecting her, but it only opened a pre-existing fault-line in her psyche. She repeatedly mentions how hollow and purposeless she feels, after all.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

didn't boar name his successor before she was driven insane by her jealous sister?

She casually murdered animals and the like well before that. Her sister just brought the pre-existing crazy further out.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Zodiac personality writeups so far:

quote:

Those born under the Chinese Zodiac sign of the Pig are extremely nice, good-mannered and tasteful. They’re perfectionists who enjoy finer things but are not perceived as snobs. They enjoy helping others and are good companions until someone close crosses them, then look out! They’re intelligent, always seeking more knowledge, and exclusive. Compatible with Rabbit or Goat and incompatible with the Monkey and Snake.

quote:

Those born under the Chinese Zodiac sign of the Dog are loyal, faithful, honest, distrustful, often guilty of telling white lies, temperamental, prone to mood swings, dogmatic, and sensitive. Dogs excel in business but have trouble finding mates. Compatible with Tiger or Horse and incompatible with the Rooster and Dragon.

quote:

Those born under the Chinese Zodiac sign of the Rooster are practical, resourceful, observant, analytical, straightforward, trusting, honest, perfectionists, neat and conservative. Compatible with Ox or Snake and most incompatible with a Goat and a Rabbit.

The Monkey one, meanwhile, is... interesting.

quote:

Those born under the Chinese Zodiac sign of the Monkey thrive on having fun. They’re energetic, upbeat, and good at listening but lack self-control. They like being active and stimulated and enjoy pleasing self before pleasing others. They’re heart-breakers, not good at long-term relationships, morals are weak. Compatible with Rat or Dragon and incompatible with a Horse or Snake.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

If I remember my Chinese Zodiac right (maybe) then he's the computer nerd and Snake would be the gambler.

Personally, I find Dragon to be the most forgettable of the cast so far. Everyone else has something to them, but Dragon's one thing he's done is "stand on a building, see Headless Snake and... do nothing."

That's certainly what Niwatori thought herself, but I'm not entirely sure. Since Monkey's skill is "transmutation of all things," I can see that being used on nebulous concepts like aggression and deception to transmute them into passivity, protection, honesty etc. and that'd fit that sequence of events fine. The biggest reason I don't think it was entirely One Man Army is that Niwatori died actively protecting Sharyu which doesn't entirely fit.

Niwatori consistently had small moments of kindness shine through the manipulative killer persona she’d had imposed on her - see also, her apparently sincere regret at the deaths of Dog and her birds, and her final act being a piece of simple generosity to her pets. It makes sense that if her mask broke, indulging in the altruism she’d denied herself all her life would be the next step.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Horse would be the most unexpected victor for this whole competition. Just have every future episode be him crushing everyone else one by one with his epic strength.

Then he thinks of ants and dies.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Clarste posted:

Boar had magic too. She could fire a machine gun forever without needing to reload.

And she could carry and shoot two LMGs at once with reasonable accuracy without breaking her arms. I think she actually had the biggest mismatch of any of the cast between her build and the strength required to use her weapons.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Irritated Goat posted:

We can basically blame Snake for multiple deaths in sorts. Snake's body assisted in killing 3 people so far.

or was that Dragon? gently caress. It's hard to tell them apart without any kind of characterization.

Dragon is currently the only one with, uh, any chance at characterisation.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Kind of a butt episode this time. Those faces were seriously off seriously often. Hopefully doesn’t indicate more serious, long-term production issues.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

The only faces that were off were those no name thug dudes.

Also we finally got the way of killing for all contestants.

Rat "Kills All"
Ox "Kills Systemically"
Monkey "Kills Peacefully"
Boar "Kills Bountifully"
Rabbit "Kills Psychotically"
Sheep "Kills Deceptively"
Tiger "Kills in a Drunken Rage"
Horse "Kills Silently"
Dog "Kills by Biting "
Chicken "Kills by Pecking"
Snake "Kills for Money"
Dragon "Kills for Money"

Nah, it was a bunch of folks. Particularly the reptile twins, and particularly in the scenes where they were chatting in the elevator.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

There's probably someone there who could safely remove the gems surgically if you trusted them enough to let them.

Probably Monkey, actually, if her transmutation skills are up to it - that was probably her ‘everyone lives’ plan, actually.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Roland Jones posted:

I'm catching up on this, but, did Sheep not have any power? He was ridiculously physically fit, perhaps, but other than that he didn't do anything particularly special, just shot and blew up people and stuff, and that level of fitness isn't anything special in this universe anyway. Given that everyone else who's been elaborated upon seems to have at least some sort of ability, it's surprising and odd that he lacks one.

Supernaturally effective munitions, probably. He did seem very proud of the Old-Timer.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mindblast posted:

If you, a skilled fighter, are getting hand picked to participate in a (somehow) very important death match you should at the very least expect the others to be chosen, regardless of whether or not it actually is like that. Especially if you can't confirm it you should be cautious.

And hubris does not mean you're looking down on someone per se. You can overestimate yourself, or your situation/position, without looking down on someone. It's the difference between gauging someone/thing, and having smug opinions about those observations.

That said, Sheep ended his last JT in half an hour because the other eleven folks were too dumb to realise how incredibly dangerous fighting in space was.

Doesn’t seem like the sort of experience that would give you a healthy respect for the talent you’d be up against.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'd actually argue that this duology (but mostly this episode) was fairly important to the story as a whole. It brought to the forefront a conflict that has been simmering in the background for most of the show, the tension between the Warriors' roles as entertainers and mercenaries. The Reptile Brothers weren't on trial for doing something illegal, and previous episodes have shown that it would be ludicrous to judge any Warrior for doing something dishonourable or unethical. They were on trial to judge whether they fitted the JT's sense of aesthetics. Were they good characters for the greatest and most exclusive show on Earth? Observe how when the prosecution asserted that they were bad mercenaries (because they collaborated to eliminate their employers despite having theoretically opposing missions), the defence tried to assert that their apparent Robin Hood tendencies made them valuable additions to the Twelve. That doesn't address the argument unless you accept that the argument has nothing to do with their competence, but their appeal - and as Dragon points out, that need for the Warriors to be somehow appealing is pretty much at odds with the other criterion of them being the world's greatest killers.

The metacommentary is obvious here - how do you make a battle royale appealing and engaging when you're stuck with the sort of cast who would voluntarily enter a lurid, ritualised fight to the death? How do you make them fun to watch? How do you make the audience root for them? Do they have to be conventionally likeable? Is their trade entirely incompatible with their humanity? The reptile brothers weren't conventional heroes, but they did have little elements that made them fun to watch - their goofy sense of humour, their unapologetic acceptance of who they were, and their little, hastily-buried moments of sentiment. I don't think it was a coincidence that they showed Snake's bizarre funeral for his pet immediately after he mocked that kid for mourning his brother, or that Dragon flashed back to the time he saved his brother's life before he descended to fight two of the most lethal people in the city alongside Snake's mutilated husk. I don't think it was a coincidence that Dragon explicitly tied Snake's massive boost in combat effectiveness to the loss of his humanity.

Most of the more conventionally likeable Warriors are dead now, and I think the Snake/Dragon duology was an important statement on where the show plans to go from here now that we're left with the true monsters.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Condiv posted:

the warrior court was the dumbest part of the episode

also, what kind of judge defends the defendant?

It was obviously not a formal legal affair - except insofar as it was performed by people with a shitload of money, a shitload of power, and a certain, negotiable respect for tradition, which can look very much like a formal legal affair in certain lights.

Remember, this is a world in which geopolitical decisions affecting millions are shaped by bored, hedonistic politicians gambling on bloodsports. Which is another subtextual theme that this duology openly acknowledged, actually, with the reptile twins’ speech to that kid. The J.T. management’s desire to see the best in its more blatantly amoral warriors is fairly transparently a desire to see the best in themselves, to convince themselves that they aren’t the bad guys, even as they openly disparage the accomplishments of genuinely virtuous people like Monkey who have spent their lives opposing all they represent.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Captain_duck posted:

Man that episode was terrible. The animation was all over the place, all the faces looked horrible. Plotwise it was completely useless to. Im guessing this was an outsourced episode?

I’m not sure ‘usefulness to the plot’ is a meaningful metric in Juni Taisen. The progression is clear - we know who will die and in which order. The only real questions are the hows and whys - what circumstances will bring about each fighter’s death when their time comes, what are they doing here, and what is the show trying to say about the whole bloody process?

From that perspective, I’d say this was one of the most important episodes yet, laying out a clear argument about the meaning of the Juni Taisen and the story itself. Dragon and Snake aren’t just another pair of fighters - they’re the battle royale’s elite, callous audience stripped of all pretension, and then sent out to die because the great and the good find their own reflections intolerable. They murder for fun, friendly competition, and empty profit, and then throw their unwanted earnings to the masses in order to get another sort of cheap laughs. It’s international warfare writ small, minus any illusion that the principals’ greed and hedonism serves any higher purpose.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
A look into a great big production trainwreck this season that doesn’t mention Juni Taisen specifically, but shines light on some of the stranger production issues it’s experiencing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Clarste posted:

In the original Zodiac tale, Rat rides on the back of Ox and jumps off to become 1st place. He's a trickster who rides the coattails of other, stronger participants. In this context, that'd be something like Ox and Rabbit killing each other and then Rat wins by default without ever fighting.

Speaking of which, since Rabbit is technically dead now, doesn't that means he can't win the tournament anymore? Even if he's controlling his body parts to continue attacking, he's still dead.

Snake was still in the running after his death.

• Locked thread