Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
3 for 3 is a pattern, and that's exactly why I think Monkey will not die next episode. If the Monogatari series and the first episode of this has taught me anything, it's that Nisioisin likes loving with your expectations. (Also why are we spoiler tagging speculation on the already aired episode?)

Also I said before that I probably won't watch this because I wasn't in the mood for a battle royale show, but this is just too good to pass up so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I think she's a good person but perhaps not all that forthcoming about her true capabilities and desires. We know she is willing to take drastic actions such as "safely" blowing up the floor as a negotiation reset.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Called it.

I think the philosophy talk was well done in this episode, especially Monkey wondering what all these immeasurable powerful warriors wish for but can’t get themselves.

Side note, I really like the Nezumi poison theory. It fits really well.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I think hubris is the name of the game. Everyone who has dies displayed some form of hubris just before eating it. But im not sure what the end game of this theme is that plot wise.

Also, im holding out hope that just maybe Monkey is still alive somehow.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
That was a rather ugly and messy episode. The animation was kinda bad, the whole backstory was a nonsensical mess, and nothing else interesting happened... except for the confirmation.

RIP Monkey, your peace is but a dream now.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
All of a sudden this is a cg show...? Man they are having some weird production issues. Story wise this show seems to be devolving into insanity.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

dogsicle posted:

i can't​ speak to specifics but the studio on this being geared towards cg may account for weaker 2d like with last week. i haven't seen this week's ep yet but wouldn't be surprised that production issues from earlier have continued to pile up and affect even their "specialty." of course, outsourcing could account for this too. :shrug:

It definitely feels like a pile up because earlier episodes we're perfectly fine. These issues seem to have crept in gradually until we get monstrosities like that last episode where they just took the op models and animated them, and the stuff that was drawn was obviously and comically rushed.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
That episode was irredeemably awful and I have lost all respect for this show.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
It would take some careful thought on series composition but yeah I think a short ova series would have worked much better. But that feels really difficult given how pointless the whole show has been so far. There might be some grand twist that re-contextualizes the narrative thus far but I have no idea what that could be.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Suddenly Steins;Gate/Zero Escape... if I had not seen those before, that would have been a really cool and novel idea because it was presented really well.

Either way, the show as a whole was not at all worth that payoff. It seems like that ending reveal was the entire point of the show, and the rest of it was just pulpy grey matter. I expected more from you, Nisio.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Clarste posted:

I don't really see how that was a "reveal"? I mean, it was obvious that rat had some kind of cheating power, and it ties in nicely to the general theme is that victory goes to the luckiest, not the strongest. There is no glory in victory, only people who happen to survive another day.

You assume it was obvious to everyone, which it wasn't. We speculated that time travel was involved, but it was never confirmed until the end.

As for your reading, I think that only works if we're emotionally invested in the rest of the characters and their motivations, good or bad. Unfortunately, that was only true Monkey. None of the other characters were interesting enough to give a poo poo about. Tiger and Ox might have been if their episodes weren't so horribly botched.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
The brothers backstory was interesting because it sets them up as agents of chaos who, unlike the Joker from Batman, play both sides.

But as far as their participation in the games, they did literally nothing but be rabbit's undead chronies. There was literally no point to giving them a backstory.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
On the topic of Snake, what I mean is that his backstory has nothing to do with his actions in the Junni Taisen because he's nothing but Rabbit's bitch. Yes, his character is very important to the events of the war as a whole, but there was literally no reason to have two episodes worth of flashback to characterize a character that is a bitch zombie literally the entire time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
That was a neat idea, but totally wasted on an epilogue episode. In fact, I think the whole show could have been rewritten to make the theme presented in the epilogue a whole lot more interesting. Here's a version on the show I think would have done that:

We start off with Mr. Clap Your Hands asking Nezumi what his wish is, without the context of knowing he won. Then we jump to the intro sequence where everyone is introduced, the game is explained, chaos ensues. Then, for the next couple of episodes, we see the various characters struggle their way through the game, making and breaking alliances and dropping off one by one, and eventually someone wins. Then the next episode cuts back to the begining when the chaos stared, and we see an alternate set of events. Different alliances, different interactions, different victor - rinse and repeat a couple times. Each time we get deep dives into a different set of characters, and by the end we've become familiar with everyone, and everyone has died tragically, specifically in a way that tramples on their wishes, at least once. Except for Nezumi. The last iteration would be a Nezumi victory, which finally loops back to the scene from the beginning, and his power is explained.

Throughout these iterations, Nezumi asks whatever group of people he allies with what they wish for, but these moments are not shown as anything more than normal conversation. After Nezumi wins and is asked about his wish, he then thinks back to when he asked other about their wishes, basically like this episode.

This version of the show would accomplish a couple things. First, we would experience Nezumi's alternate universe power without knowing about it. Secondly, we would be much more invested in the characters and their losses. 3 it would string that thematic chord accrpss the series so it doesn't feel like it was pulled out of someones rear end at the last moment to tie off an otherwise thematically meaningless show.

(Before anyone says it, this is basically the structure of Higurashi. Hey, it's a proven idea)

• Locked thread