Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
She specifically said in the anime that she had to wait until her birds were hungry again. The assumption is that they won't eat people to death if they're not hungry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I'm 100% sure that there's something fishy about Snake's "death".

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

It's suppose to take 24 hours before it starts affecting them. The description wasn't entirely clear to me, but I got the impression it had a harmless outer layer that needed to dissolve before the poison was released.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Boar had magic too. She could fire a machine gun forever without needing to reload.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I don't think the anime ever said that Snake and Dragon were different families. I actually assumed they were one family since they only used one name. They just had some kind of dualistic ritual thing going on, where half were wearing dragon emblems and the other half snakes. The impression I got was that they didn't care which one of them won, since they'd get the same prestige anyway.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I think a charitable reading of this show is that it's about the futility and nihilism of violence. The warriors are almost universally broken people, and no one gets anything they want, not even satisfying action scenes.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

In the original Zodiac tale, Rat rides on the back of Ox and jumps off to become 1st place. He's a trickster who rides the coattails of other, stronger participants. In this context, that'd be something like Ox and Rabbit killing each other and then Rat wins by default without ever fighting.

Speaking of which, since Rabbit is technically dead now, doesn't that means he can't win the tournament anymore? Even if he's controlling his body parts to continue attacking, he's still dead.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I don't really see how that was a "reveal"? I mean, it was obvious that rat had some kind of cheating power, and it ties in nicely to the general theme is that victory goes to the luckiest, not the strongest. There is no glory in victory, only people who happen to survive another day.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Roland Jones posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it had to be them trying to force him into the interview, since he just casually dropped a reference to his power and the guy knew what he was talking about. They knew they could kill him because they, well, wouldn't actually kill him.

Eh, I wouldn't be especially surprised if they also actually kill off any winner they deem uncooperative.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Everyone should read Medaka Box, if only for the experience. I do think the fan translation is notably bad in places though. There are a lot of flourishes that may get lost in translation.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Another Nisio masterpiece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Paperhouse posted:

Can someone sum up how this ended and what the deal with Rat was? I stopped watching after about 9 or 10 episodes because it was pretty awful at that point

Rat won because everyone else killed each other and he had the perfect chance to blow up Ox and Rabbit at the same time (using Sheep's leftover bomb).

His power turned out to be the ability to retry any choice he makes 100 times and pick the best result. If he fails a hundred times, he's forced to accept failure, but in this case there happened to be one route out a hundred where he survives through sheer luck. His wish at the end is to forget everything he experienced in the battle because the guilt of someone like him, with no ambitions or goals, winning when people like Monkey died was too much for him.

• Locked thread