Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Roland Jones posted:

From what I understand the original was a short story, so it probably wasn't meant to be stretched so much. Based on those information paragraphs that have been posted, I'm guessing we're getting an episode per chapter, maybe? But yeah, while I liked Rabbit's plan here personally, particularly his head trying to bite its way up Ox's sword, there was way too much talking this time.

The original was a one-shot manga (untranslated at the moment, at least not officially) that takes place after the Zodiac War and is about the victor struggling to choose a wish. All the other fighters are only introduced with no more than a single panel each. Though this came out first, it *completely* spoils the ending of the book.

The novel (full length) was written after that, with one chapter to each fighter, and one page each for their backstories.

I haven't been watching the anime but it sounds like it's following the same plot.

The manga (ongoing) follows the novel very closely so far, with the addition of an observer character, and some expanding upon the characters' backgrounds but not in an overly lengthy way.

Modus Pwnens fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Roland Jones posted:

Huh. I was not expecting a whole episode after the contest ended. Can they really make an entire episode out of that? I mean, I guess that was a full chapter in the novel, given that each episode seems to cover a chapter based on the stuff that's been posted here, but in a short story a chapter can also be pretty short.

If they throw in the original short manga's story, that would easily fill an episode, otherwise.... Yeah. That's a lot to stretch out into an entire episode.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
According to one review I read the original fighters are all back in an alternate timeline sort of fashion and double spoiler seriously this is a spoiler: they die in reverse order.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

Instead of the new group I named. Cause if thats the case this is untrue.

In addition. The title is Juni Taisen VS Juni Taisen

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Roland Jones posted:

That also explains what, "Killing all," meant; his power basically guaranteed his victory, which necessitated everyone else dying. Therefore, no matter what, he's going to ensure that everyone else is dead. (Or, alternatively, it could be a reference to him "destroying worlds" or whatever he said when talking about his power in comparison to Monkey saving the most people, etc.)

I have not watched the anime, but if he announces himself as "killing all," that's missing a lot of the context.

The original Japanese is うじゃうじゃに殺す (ujauja ni korosu).
korosu is kill, that's the easy part.

ujauja has two meanings, both of which are relevant to the character. NisiOisiN loving LOVES wordplay and double (or triple) meanings and it's everywhere in the book.

1) in swarms or clusters (typically with smaller creatures or "lesser" people, so... rats.)
2) tediously and without end. ad nauseam.

The novel translation has him say, "I kill inexorably."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
God drat.

• Locked thread