Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I get the impression Monkey genuinely wants to end things peacefully if possible, given her whole background involves repeatedly successfully ending conflicts.

edit: But I also get the impression part of her success is due to her not being overly idealistic and still being fully aware of the realities of the situation. Like, she almost definitely has contingency plans in place if her allies turn on her or something. There's probably a reason why Boar was so wary of her.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Oct 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like how this series has been relatively low on exposition and just jumped right into the action. If it continues like this it should be solidly entertaining.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I trust Monkey. She is a good person and my friend.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I want Monkey to be genuine just because it would actually be more cliche if she were tricking everyone and up to no good.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ViggyNash posted:

I think she's a good person but perhaps not all that forthcoming about her true capabilities and desires. We know she is willing to take drastic actions such as "safely" blowing up the floor as a negotiation reset.

I like the idea of her being someone who has good intentions but also isn't naive and realizes that a lot of these folks are gonna try and kill everyone no matter what and has prepared countermeasures for those situations (like blowing up the floor).

Also, I think that she could reasonably assume that the sort of people participating in this competition could survive something like the floor being blown up (which, well, they did).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Rat spreads disease that everyone inevitably comes down with before the end of the competition. That is why he's fine with attempting to reduce conflict and wait things out.

edit: I was joking but that actually sounds somewhat plausible. Would explain the Killing All stuff.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Kytrarewn posted:

I hated Sharyu and found her platitudes condescending and flippant, so my guess is that she'll be going the distance.

I like her because she doesn't come off as naive in her approach and actions, even if she's optimistic.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ViggyNash posted:

Called it.

I think the philosophy talk was well done in this episode, especially Monkey wondering what all these immeasurable powerful warriors wish for but can’t get themselves.

Side note, I really like the Nezumi poison theory. It fits really well.

Yeah, though the main counterargument I can think of is that he hasn't been going out of his way to encounter multiple people, though that could be explained by Monkey being a top contender and him assuming it would come down to her (and whoever else joined her) and someone else at some point. I guess there's also the fact that whatever disease or poison he has would need to kill awfully fast, given their time limit (unless he has some sort of immunity to the gem's poison as part of his ability, though that would overlap with an application of Dog's power).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The Colonel posted:

i'm sad horse is gonna die cause i like that he's both a big heavily armored killing machine and also just kind of awkward and friendly to people he thinks might not immediately go after his head

Horse would be the most unexpected victor for this whole competition. Just have every future episode be him crushing everyone else one by one with his epic strength.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just got around to watching the previous episode (the one that focuses on monkey), and I like how this uber-warrior war negotiator woman is married to this random plain looking guy. I really like her as a sort of "genuinely optimistic but not in a naive sort of way" character.

edit: Makes me sad that she's probably going to die, though I think she'll last until pretty late in the series. Probably the most predictable route would be for her to gradually change Rat's attitude and for him to carry out her wishes after she ends up dying at some point.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Depending upon Chicken's range, I don't see why she couldn't just swarm everyone else from a safe distance (like she did Boar's reanimated corpse). She'd be like a somewhat less effective Taylor from Worm (less effective because birds don't have venomous stingers/fangs and aren't as small, though the ability to see through their eyes, which Taylor couldn't do with her bugs, might make up for that). I guess you could find places to hide that birds can't access, but at the very least it would let you control peoples' movements.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Monkey's hubris was a little weird; doesn't seem to suit her character, and you'd think someone who has ended hundreds of wars/conflicts would have learned not to underestimate people. Same sorta goes for Sheep; you'd think such a veteran would have learned to always be cautious around these ridiculous magical powered fighters.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Genocyber posted:

Yeah, it's kind of poor writing. Like, the fact that anyone is underestimating anyone else in this competition (outside of Boar due to her characterization) is kind of ridiculous. They should all be well aware that everyone is a seriously skilled warrior, yet they keep letting their guards down.

I can sort of understand Sheep in the sense that it's possible Tiger's attitude/behavior is genuinely unusual and that it's not unheard of for families to be forced to send under-qualified people into the competition (that is, it's possible Tiger reminded him of other under-qualified people sent into past competitions).

Monkey makes less sense, given that it had already been established that Rabbit was a serious threat and her personality just doesn't seem like one that would look down on people. I mean, I guess I can understand her thinking "it seems like Rabbit's success has been more due to his nectromatist abilities than his melee fighting," but she still seems like the type of person to take all necessary precautions.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

edit: wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I bet you could avoid Usagi killing you if you just offered to be his friend before he did so.

• Locked thread