Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

jng2058 posted:

Nnnooope. So it looks like everyone here's some kind of bastard. I'm guessing Monkey drugged Chicken's drink in some way to encourage her to go off and die like she did. Killing peacefully is presumably "I find a way to get you to kill yourself."

Where have you seen this? None of the released material so far supports this as far as I know. Every character has some paranormal ability. Hers could easily be a type of overpowering charisma that just works all the time passively on everyone she meets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

dogsicle posted:

The post you quoted detailed exactly what the book said on the matter and nothing more or less, so there's not a ton to be sure of. Monkey using her power never comes up in regards to Chicken, while Chicken blames One Man Army and Rat says that Monkey's idealistic pacifism weakened her. The two combined would explain it sufficiently, imo. I also don't think Monkey would be the type to resort to chemical influence, seeing how loath she is to use her power in any situation.

A person not used to doing anything for anyone other than themselves is trying to figure out why this case is different. While on hosed up drugs. Of course she's going to think it's the drug, from her perspective it's the most sensible reason. That doesn't mean it actually is, though. She wasn't exactly in the best state of mind to begin with.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Genocyber posted:

I've been wondering since episode 2 if maybe Snake might not actually be dead and can regenerate his head like how some lizards can (yeah lizards are not snakes but anime writers also aren't biologists so). The head count (heh) in the most recent episode seems to be supporting that.

Not just that, but the behavior as well. Recall how Boar animated after she died. There was nothing graceful or intelligent about it. Snake moves around with agency and even uses vibrations for tracking. That's too advanced for a zombie.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Paperhouse posted:

It seems like even as zombies they're all still able to use their unique special abilities, like Boar's infinite reload or Chicken's control over birds.

For sure, but not like they did in life. Boar turned into a mindless shambler who had problems standing and walking straight. Her aim was wild and all over the place. You'd ecpect Snake to be a shambling fire hazard.

The difference is pretty big. I suppose whether or not those differences are a clue depends on the original author and/or the studio's consistency in how everything is depicted. They could be going with "whatever works for the scene". I hope not, though.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

This makes his actual method even more curious. I wonder if a pattern is emerging here, and his way of acting around Monkey was more intentional than initially noticeable.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Welp looks like I was dead wrong. Snake's still getting a lot more done than most contestants though!

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

One thing that we may get to witness, now that Monkey is dead, is just how mad her abilities are since she's no longer inhibited by morals and values. Which is seriously the only thing that kept her from being the most likely survivor.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

dogsicle posted:

this Taisen was going to draft a Sheep that was in grade school (and Rat is a teenager) so there's really no guarantee the contestants will have a significant level of skill. there are also contestants like Tiger, Rabbit, Horse, and Rat(?) who are coming into this with little or no reputation. but this is all stuff that's hard to judge without significant knowledge of past Taisens i suppose.

re: Monkey's fight with Rabbit. in the book, it's insanely short and her thought process is detailed as 1) being a bit unstable after being forced to attack the zombie birds and 2) rather than having any sort of hubris, she sees an opportunity to incapacitate Rabbit and begins to think rapidly along that line instead of considering other options. i suppose that is a sort of hubris, but it's not conveyed in a way that comes off as her looking down on him.

If you, a skilled fighter, are getting hand picked to participate in a (somehow) very important death match you should at the very least expect the others to be chosen, regardless of whether or not it actually is like that. Especially if you can't confirm it you should be cautious.

And hubris does not mean you're looking down on someone per se. You can overestimate yourself, or your situation/position, without looking down on someone. It's the difference between gauging someone/thing, and having smug opinions about those observations.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

I keep checking this thread but until one of these eps gets you guys excited I'm not watching any of it. It's a shame it got this bad.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

The Ox and Tiger thing became weird. They play up this grudge and it turns into... that. It feels like they put in the grudge because the short story had it, but the short never revealed what it was so they had to think up their own reason.

I think I'll just interpret it as "overreacted to not being remembered because she was drunk as gently caress" and leave it at that.

Hopefully we get to see more of monkey's op-as-gently caress powers/skills before inevitably getting burned to cinders, diced et . The poo poo she can do is pretty drat varied.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Kytrarewn posted:

I've had no real problems with the show to date, including this episode. The thing where "If I refuse the interview, a bunch of people are going to try to kill me in various ways, intentional and unintentional" was a bit silly, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

It'll be interesting to see what wishes Rat manages to come up with and where they lead. It'd be too easy for him to say "Give me a seat as a gambler" and have that lead to him making gambles in such a way as to maximize his own safety and world peace, but that's the only one that immediately comes to mind.

They were all intentional. Rat's power wasn't unknown to all, by the way everything was shown and phrased. It appeared to be done deliberately so there was no way to escape even if you had a thousand tries. It was set up to force the interview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Paperhouse posted:

Can someone sum up how this ended and what the deal with Rat was? I stopped watching after about 9 or 10 episodes because it was pretty awful at that point

Rat can live out 100 choices and perfectly see the outcome, but with all the baggage that comes with it (like dying 99 out of 100 times to win the tournament). So after a lot of thinking he realises the thing he wishes most for is to not remember any of it at all. And so his memory gets wiped of the entire Juni Teisen.

The end!

• Locked thread