Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Glad I'm not the only one who struggled with the controls in this game. I played it for the first time six or seven years ago and never got used to the jumping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Elfface posted:

I used to disable Ice Beam when I was a kid, unless I needed to stand on stuff. It made enemies die in two hits instead of one!

The ability to turn power-ups on and off is a really weird feature in this game but one that makes the game feel more authentic to me in a way that's tough to describe. It makes it feel like you have more control over the suit in that you can turn features on and off, also mixing and matching the different beam upgrades you get and seeing the results was more fun for me than it should have been.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Section Z posted:

So many games would benefit from the ability to toggle power ups and passive abilities, yeah.

I think you can toggle the movement power-ups in some of the Castlevania games. I know you can in Symphony and Aria of Sorrow at least.

Indie developers- make a Metroidvania but with the systems management feature from FTL for your suit upgrades.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I watched the previous episode earlier today and was just about to come say that Maridia really pushed me into the "Super Metroid isn't as good as people say it is" camp. It's sad how so few games feature good water-based levels, you would think that after a couple decades someone would have cracked the code!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Since you already speculated on it in-video, yeah the Plasma Beam and Spring Ball and both in Maridia, and are actually in places that were revealed when you got that area's map data.

I feel like you were supposed to need either Plasma Beam or Spring Ball (or both!) to get past those green roly-poly guys on the way to the Maridia boss (the ones that you kept bomb-jumping over) so congrats on the unintentional sequence break I guess.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yeah I will totally cop to being wrong about needing those upgrades to get past that, it's been several years since I've played this game. I actually managed to get a Classic today and this LP is making me want to take a second pass on this game, even though I'm way lower on it than most people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Since you seemed confused by it in the video, the big Metroid at the end is supposed to be the baby Metroid from the intro. That's why it saves you at the end there. It's not really spelled out other than "broken containment tank in Ridley's room" and "doesn't kill you on sight".

Anyway, good job. I think this game is a slog the first time you play through it even if you've played other Metroid games, but in watching this I think the game is a little better than how I initially pegged it.

CirclMastr posted:

Maybe I just didn't try them in enough places, but Power Bombs seem like a waste of a powerup. They only kill enemies that are trivial to kill anyway so it's not great as a room clearer, and bosses never seemed to take damage from them. They ended up just feeling like a thing you use when you need to open a specific lock rather than a weapon or tool.

The game gives you way more than necessary too, I think they wanted you to use them way more often.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Oct 30, 2017

• Locked thread