Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ohyesitsme
Apr 12, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
"Whitening" tooothpastes at least in the UK, rely on abrasives AFAIK - not good for your teeth either. Maybe you can get Peroxide based ones in the US - that would be a better option.
I whitened mine with an "at-home" whitening kit, with lab-made trays and a weak carbamide peroxide gel (Poladay or Polanight, I can't remember). It took a while, but worked great - and I smoke like a train, though don't drink coffee or tea.
Doing that, after a thorough cleaning, made the world of difference - I didn't end up with "Ross from Friends" glowing teeth, just nice, white, natural looking teeth at which point I stopped.

I would stay away from the super-strong gels as apparently they can cause temporary but extremely painful sensitivity - IANADentist, so that's just my opinion - and if I needed to do it again, I would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

What's some good tips for dealing with a strong gag reflex? I just got a filling for a cavity in a back upper molar, and it was just so damnedly embarrassing to keep prompting the dentist to stop because something would set off the reflex and I suddenly had the urge to bolt up and cough. Didn't help that my nose is perennially clogged which means I mouth breathe like crazy.

I hate being a lousy patient. :smith:

Ohyesitsme
Apr 12, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
Lidocaine spray works well - not sure if it is OK in the US, but in the UK it is sold for sore throats and stuff.
If I'm hung over, I can absolutely NOT brush back to my wisdom teeth without it, I gag and sometimes even puke. A couple of sprays to the back of my throat, and I'm fine.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Ofaloaf posted:

What's some good tips for dealing with a strong gag reflex? I just got a filling for a cavity in a back upper molar, and it was just so damnedly embarrassing to keep prompting the dentist to stop because something would set off the reflex and I suddenly had the urge to bolt up and cough. Didn't help that my nose is perennially clogged which means I mouth breathe like crazy.

I hate being a lousy patient. :smith:

When are you having your appointments? I gag incredibly easy in the mornings and its impossible to get anything "invasive" done. Afternoons make a world of difference for me.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Is there actually a difference with the various toothpastes or I can just go with the cheap store brand as long as I'm brushing and flossing correctly? I've been using Colgate Total since that's what my dentist gave me since high school.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

halokiller posted:

Is there actually a difference with the various toothpastes or I can just go with the cheap store brand as long as I'm brushing and flossing correctly? I've been using Colgate Total since that's what my dentist gave me since high school.

Same question, but floss. Satin, waxed, unwaxed: what's the difference (aside from $$ for the satin)? I can't even get a straight answer from my dentist about this beyond 'don't use satin, floss erry day'.

SecureUmbra
Apr 6, 2016
Just as far as the career field goes, can you give us more information?
Advice for picking a school?
Career opportunities? Job market.
Pros and cons?
Pay and lifestyle?
Day to day duties and what and average work day would entail?
Is it a field mostly dominated by women? All the DH’s in my dentists office are women.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

SecureUmbra posted:

Is it a field mostly dominated by women? All the DH’s in my dentists office are women.

This is something I wonder about too. It seems like the gender roles are written in stone for this occupation. How does this happen?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

This is something I wonder about too. It seems like the gender roles are written in stone for this occupation. How does this happen?

I presume it’s about them actually being the “assistant” to the manly capable male dentist? Kinda like nurses, which is changing thankfully

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
So obv the majority of professional roles outside the home were historically held by men. (When women began professionally nursing, for example, it was a scandal. Nice women couldn't handle gore, couldn't be disciplined or smart enough, couldn't see men naked, etc.)

Over time, women have been able to break into various fields, some fields more than others. As a result of these fields becoming predominantly female, pay in the field drops.

Then you have a situation where men don't want to do it because (a) ew gross that's for girls and (b) you don't make good money doing it anyway. (But when men do take jobs in predominantly female fields, they get paid more and promoted faster than women in those fields.)

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/20/upshot/as-women-take-over-a-male-dominated-field-the-pay-drops.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/04/upshot/why-men-dont-want-the-jobs-done-mostly-by-women.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

SecureUmbra posted:

Just as far as the career field goes, can you give us more information?
Advice for picking a school?
Career opportunities? Job market.
Pros and cons?
Pay and lifestyle?
Day to day duties and what and average work day would entail?

When i did DH'ing we were predominately male working for a 70% female group of dentists.

Of course we had male nurses early and were the first country to give women the vote too so...

:smug:

• Locked thread