Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Chatrapati posted:

I was never taught about flossing when I was a kid, so I'm not really practiced with it and don't know much about it. That story about barnacles on your teeth sounds pretty scary though. Is flossing something I should be seriously concerned about? I've never had any issues with my teeth and dentists have never mentioned anything, although I've never mentioned my lack of flossing to them.

I've tried flossing before, but I think my teeth might be too close together for it to be an easy thing to do.

Calculus (the hard, barnacle-like plaque) tends to form differently for everyone. It's hard to predict, simple to prevent. Flossing frequently is the most effective way to prevent it (though you should see a hygienist every year at the very least to make sure that nothing has set up shop).

Flossing is important, and just because nothing noticeable has appeared yet does not mean it won't, or that it isn't already in progress. Periodontal disease is a mysterious beast that can appear suddenly or just sit around and do nothing for long periods of time.

The best early sign of disease is if your gums bleed easily when brushing or flossing. This is called gingivitis, and is a clear indicator of the presence of bacteria colonization beneath the gums. Consistent brushing and flossing routines can fix this over time, but if it persists, contact a dental clinic and get a cleaning.

If you can't get things between your teeth, I'd recommend looking into a water pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012

The Skeleton King posted:

Calculus (the hard, barnacle-like plaque) tends to form differently for everyone. It's hard to predict, simple to prevent. Flossing frequently is the most effective way to prevent it (though you should see a hygienist every year at the very least to make sure that nothing has set up shop).

Flossing is important, and just because nothing noticeable has appeared yet does not mean it won't, or that it isn't already in progress. Periodontal disease is a mysterious beast that can appear suddenly or just sit around and do nothing for long periods of time.

The best early sign of disease is if your gums bleed easily when brushing or flossing. This is called gingivitis, and is a clear indicator of the presence of bacteria colonization beneath the gums. Consistent brushing and flossing routines can fix this over time, but if it persists, contact a dental clinic and get a cleaning.

If you can't get things between your teeth, I'd recommend looking into a water pick.

Hopefully my teeth aren't already on the path towards having periodontal disease. My gums don't bleed though, so that seems like a good sign. The range of prices for water picks seem pretty big, do you know if there's a significant difference between the cheaper ones and the more expensive models?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I posted this before, but I just had a deep cleaning. Root planeing and scaling. Nasty business. Took two appts and 2.5hours each. I didn’t floss enough and getting old sucks. Recession starts and pits or holes under the teeth start to develop. It helped a lot to bring my gingivitis poo poo under control. Very expensive too. 1k$ total. Felt like I was punched in the face 4 times.

Don’t smoke kids.

I wonder what vape has effect? I bet no studies yet.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Q: What's wrong with my teeth?
A: STOP! I cannot legally give you advice or diagnosis. Not only am I a student at the moment, but even if I was licensed right now I could not legally give advise or diagnose anyone who is not my patient.

so why was it ok for you to diagnose Shmorky's gross ex-fiance?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Ein cooler Typ posted:

so why was it ok for you to diagnose Shmorky's gross ex-fiance?

She wasn't there to read it, ask about it, or take it as advice.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Where exactly should the gum line be? I see some people and it looks like they have biiiiiig fuckin teeth because their gum line is so low, is that normal?

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
What's the grossest thing you've seen so far, either in direct observation or in your studies?

Dream Attack
Feb 12, 2008

nothing in this world
I've always been curious about the tools dentists and hygenists use! I mean, I'm getting my teeth scraped pretty forcefully with metal tools. Is tooth enamel seriously stronger than sharp stainless steel?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Dream Attack posted:

I've always been curious about the tools dentists and hygenists use! I mean, I'm getting my teeth scraped pretty forcefully with metal tools. Is tooth enamel seriously stronger than sharp stainless steel?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohs_scale_of_mineral_hardness

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.
How helpful/effective is mouthwash?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Also are there any teeth whitening products or methods that don't destroy your enamel?

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Scudworth posted:

She wasn't there to read it, ask about it, or take it as advice.

Correct. It was only rough conjecture and observations. I gave no advice to her, and made no recommendations to her either. I also repeatedly stated that my observations may not even be accurate since I only had a low resolution picture to look at.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Dream Attack posted:

Is tooth enamel seriously stronger than sharp stainless steel?
Yes. It is the hardest material in the body, harder than steel (some forms of steel are harder). However, this does not make it immune to abrasion from steel and other materials softer than enamel. Don't worry though, dental instruments don't wear on tooth enamel anywhere near enough to be considered a danger to the enamel.

Wile E. Toyota posted:

How helpful/effective is mouthwash?

Mouthwash is good at killing bacteria that has not yet adhered to the tooth surface or mineralized. It really doesn't accomplish much on its own. Plaque will not be bothered much by it. Calculus (hard, mineralized plaque) is extremely resistant to it due to the mineralization protecting it.

Use it after you brush and floss to wash out some of the bacteria still floating around in your mouth, that's all it really does.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Chatrapati posted:

Hopefully my teeth aren't already on the path towards having periodontal disease.

Not bleeding is a good sign. I would suggest meeting with a hygienist sometime in he near future if you haven't seen one in a while. They can help you understand where you are at in regards to oral health. Be sure to ask as many questions as you can think of when meeting with a professional, they often gloss over specific details since they are doing so much at once while working.

I don't know much about individual water pick models. I haven't studied them extensively.

Burt Sexual posted:

I posted this before, but I just had a deep cleaning. Getting old sucks.
I wonder what vape has effect? I bet no studies yet.

Congrats on the deep cleaning. I myself have a lot of pride when I finish one of those.

Vapes are relatively new so studies on long term effects on the mouth are not yet comprehensive enough to have a full understanding. Short term effects however have been found to be eerily similar to traditional smoking, which is not good. Even more of a problem is that vapes are poorly regulated and can have all kinds of mixtures. So far the general consensus among researchers is that vaping is not a "safe" alternative to smoking.

Oh, and Marijuana is just as damaging to teeth as tobacco. Sorry to say.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice

Congrats on the deep cleaning. I myself have a lot of pride when I finish one of those.

You should! Today I went for my twice-a-year cleaning and the hygienist used the polish brush (not sure of the actual name) to clean off some staining. My teeth look so much better and I feel so much more at ease. I quit soda a few months ago so this feels like a fresh start. I am a little worried that my new-found tea habit might not be good for staining however... It seems like I need to switch to mostly water.

quote:

Vapes are relatively new so studies on long term effects on the mouth are not yet comprehensive enough to have a full understanding. ...
Oh, and Marijuana is just as damaging to teeth as tobacco. Sorry to say.

I had a friend who "smoked" pot using one of these vaporizer kits with a long plastic hose. His dentist told him he either had to buy an electric toothbrush or stop whatever was making his teeth stained, so he bought one of those things. I genuinely can't stand inhaling any kind of vapor/smoke so I wouldn't know how it worked out, but he insisted it made a difference with the staining on his teeth. Have you heard of something like that?

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Are mouth rinses worth it?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

TLG James posted:

Scroll up

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

TLG James posted:

I live in the country, gods, where the government doesn’t put fluoride in our water. So I use ACT! And it supplements my toothpaste. I go for checkups every 6, and no cavities in decades. But then there is the bad breath thing. Like it can’t hurt you to do a fresh breath rinse? Worth it is like asking is it worth it to put on pit spray? My dentist actually recommended a tongue wiper which will bring up all kinds of Burt has bad breath convo. Brush at least twice a day, floss every other, rinse with fluoride. Kiss girls.

E my kids get cavities because we aren’t treated with fluoride and don’t brush regularly. Getting them to proper dental care is hard as goons. Just kidding! You wouldn’t be reading this otherwise.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I've heard that brushing right after eating can do more harm than good. I try not to snack at bedtime, but if I do, should I brush or just...rinse or something? Does the same apply to flossing?

Have you heard anything about novamin?

Duckjob
Aug 22, 2003
Pack 'n Save has everyday low prices
Dental Hygiene student here, about to graduate in 3 weeks. I'm currently studying for boards so i'll answer a few questions in between breaks.

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

How often do you encounter breath so bad you want to retch?

One whiff of a patient with ANUG (acute necrotizing ulcerative gingivitis) and everything else is mild morning breath. They don't show up too often, but you know someone has it if they can fill a whole room up with their stank rear end breath.

ilmucche posted:

Where exactly should the gum line be? I see some people and it looks like they have biiiiiig fuckin teeth because their gum line is so low, is that normal?

Should be a 2-3mm above the cementoenamel junction. In other words, that line you see where the enamel (lighter color) meets the cementum (more yellowish in color). In a healthy mouth, you won't even see this unless you have recession. Low gum line usually indicates mild-advanced perio disease if it's generalized.

Dream Attack posted:

I've broken two instruments trying to debride tenacious calculus out. The enamel surface gave no fucks.

horribleslob posted:

What are some good practices for care after teeth whitening? Assuming 35% hydrogen peroxide with trays

Stay off colored/dyed foods for a while. Use sensodyne if it gets sensitive.

Beachcomber posted:

I've heard that brushing right after eating can do more harm than good. I try not to snack at bedtime, but if I do, should I brush or just...rinse or something? Does the same apply to flossing?

Brushing pretty much removes bacteria that latch on to your tooth's surface, which then turns into colonies and then plaque. If you don't want your mouth to be a petri dish from microbiology class, brushing is a good idea on both circumstances. Flossing cleans the areas of your teeth you brush can't access, so yes that should be done too.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
So it's okay to brush immediately after eating? I thought I read that this can mess up the enamel somehow.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
I've noticed the enamel on my one of teeth has started receding leaving the yellowish bit exposed, and it's sensitive as gently caress. I can also feel a sharpish edge on another tooth near it, and it feels as if it's receding too. How hosed am i?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Duckjob posted:

Dental Hygiene student here, about to graduate in 3 weeks. I'm currently studying for boards so i'll answer a few questions in between breaks.

One whiff of a patient with ANUG (acute necrotizing ulcerative gingivitis) and everything else is mild morning breath. They don't show up too often, but you know someone has it if they can fill a whole room up with their stank rear end breath.

Should be a 2-3mm above the cementoenamel junction. In other words, that line you see where the enamel (lighter color) meets the cementum (more yellowish in color). In a healthy mouth, you won't even see this unless you have recession. Low gum line usually indicates mild-advanced perio disease if it's generalized.

I've broken two instruments trying to debride tenacious calculus out. The enamel surface gave no fucks.

Stay off colored/dyed foods for a while. Use sensodyne if it gets sensitive.

Brushing pretty much removes bacteria that latch on to your tooth's surface, which then turns into colonies and then plaque. If you don't want your mouth to be a petri dish from microbiology class, brushing is a good idea on both circumstances. Flossing cleans the areas of your teeth you brush can't access, so yes that should be done too.

Wow gently caress off with this good and logical and fact based advice. Wth?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pope Guilty posted:

So it's okay to brush immediately after eating? I thought I read that this can mess up the enamel somehow.

Lol what? Post the article please.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Burt Sexual posted:

Lol what? Post the article please.

I think it's if you eat sugary foods you're supposed to wait.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
IDK I saw it years and years ago.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

On a similar note, should you brush right after you wake up in the morning or after breakfast? I've been doing the latter but I also read somewhere that your mouth is full of germs after you wake up and you should clean it all out before swallowing.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Pope Guilty posted:

My medical professionals advise waiting ten-fifteen minutes to let any food stuck between your teeth to get loosened up by your saliva before brushing.

When I was growing up, I didn't take good care of my teeth and my sisters were very good at it. Despite that, they got cavities left and right and I maybe got two my entire childhood. I've since got one as an adult on a wisdom tooth and the dentist decided to just rip it out.

Is this a genetics thing? Food intake thing? Why do I have such an easy time with my teeth compared to other people? It confuses me. Right now, my spouse and I eat the same things (except I have soda sometimes) and brush the same amount but she still has more trouble with her teeth (which admittedly is very little trouble) than me.

Henry Scorpio
Mar 20, 2006

Maybe it just collapsed on its own?

N. Senada posted:

My medical professionals advise waiting ten-fifteen minutes to let any food stuck between your teeth to get loosened up by your saliva before brushing.

When I was growing up, I didn't take good care of my teeth and my sisters were very good at it. Despite that, they got cavities left and right and I maybe got two my entire childhood. I've since got one as an adult on a wisdom tooth and the dentist decided to just rip it out.

Is this a genetics thing? Food intake thing? Why do I have such an easy time with my teeth compared to other people? It confuses me. Right now, my spouse and I eat the same things (except I have soda sometimes) and brush the same amount but she still has more trouble with her teeth (which admittedly is very little trouble) than me.

Same situation here with no cavities ever as a child or adult. My dentist said it seems to be genetic, possibly extra calcium in my saliva hardening the teeth. He said it also has drawbacks because it makes plaque build up much faster, but vs. cavities I’ll take it.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
My dentist told me that I'm doing nothing wrong with my tooth care but my molars have no enamel left and I'm looking at 4 crowns total.

He did the one (which I knew for sure I needed) and he said that the others can wait a bit. He did ask if a grit my teeth. I know I don't when I sleep because I tongue thrust when I sleep so if I bite down, I wake myself up. I do click them but he said that was fine.

He made note that I have a strong bite when he was fitting the crown.

So, why at 39 do I all of a sudden need a few thousand dollars of work? I brush twice a day, I use my knife or a piece of paper to floss after I eat. He had no beef with that. My gums are great. Am I just cursed with good enamel on all my teeth except for my molars?

Ancillary Character
Jul 25, 2007
Going about life as if I were a third-tier ancillary character

mostlygray posted:

My dentist told me that I'm doing nothing wrong with my tooth care but my molars have no enamel left and I'm looking at 4 crowns total.

He did the one (which I knew for sure I needed) and he said that the others can wait a bit. He did ask if a grit my teeth. I know I don't when I sleep because I tongue thrust when I sleep so if I bite down, I wake myself up. I do click them but he said that was fine.

He made note that I have a strong bite when he was fitting the crown.

So, why at 39 do I all of a sudden need a few thousand dollars of work? I brush twice a day, I use my knife or a piece of paper to floss after I eat. He had no beef with that. My gums are great. Am I just cursed with good enamel on all my teeth except for my molars?

Since you tongue thrust, does that mean your front teeth don't touch? If only your molars (or just a few back teeth) touch when you bite down, it's very possible for them to be suffering from more wear relative to your other teeth. Also, you can still be grinding your teeth at night or even clenching during the day and not really noticing that you do. When most people tongue thrust, the tongue is just going out enough to fill in the space left open by the front teeth when your teeth are together rather than thrusting out while your teeth are still apart and can come down further to bite on your tongue.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Do you know anything about gum recession treatments?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bakalakadaka posted:

Do you know anything about gum recession treatments?

Stop smoking is what they keep telling me. I presumed that means weed too. Lol

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Burt Sexual posted:

Stop smoking is what they keep telling me. I presumed that means weed too. Lol

I mean stuff like this that reverses gum recession after the fact:
https://www.beverlyhillsladentist.com/blog/best-ways-treat-gum-recession/

Number Two Stunna
Nov 8, 2009

FUCK
How do I know when its time to buy a new toothbrush

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Number Two Stunna posted:

How do I know when its time to buy a new toothbrush

They have ones that turn color, whiteish down the middle. But 6 months and it’s toast. Depends on a lot of factors. Buy a soft brush as well.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
What the gently caress is good with those GUM dental picks? Supposedly you run them between your teeth like floss? The drat things are so small and flimsy that not only could I not reach my molars without trying to fist my own mouth, but I can't get them between my teeth at all to begin with because they bend so easily. Am I retarded or do I just not understand the purpose of them? I'll just use regular floss instead

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Re: flosstalk

My hygienist says that flossing can be substituted with a waterpik. Is she full of poo poo? It seems like flossing would do a better job of disrupting the crap between your teeth by virtue of actually touching it.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

SamDabbers posted:

Re: flosstalk

My hygienist says that flossing can be substituted with a waterpik. Is she full of poo poo? It seems like flossing would do a better job of disrupting the crap between your teeth by virtue of actually touching it.

Uh, if the water doesn't touch the stuff between your teeth then you're doing it wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I need to visit A/T more because this is a good thread. I had to move a few times due to college and stuff, so I lost my regular dentist along the way. Now that I’m settled, I don’t have an excuse to find a good dentist. Last dentist office I went to was also a pediatrics so I had to deal with hearing children cry constantly. Any advice for finding a dentist? Just peruse Yelp and read the reviews? I only ever had two dentists, one which was my lifelong who died, the other which I had during college with the pediatrics office.

Also not to threadshit, but I don’t think shmorkywife belongs in the OP. It debases what’s already a solid educational thread by picking on a legitimate insane person. Yeah it’s clearly an example of a world without dentistry, but it comes off as tasteless. I say this while admitting I have the freakout audio file (you know the one) somewhere on my laptop. If anything, just remove the name since she likely didn’t want to have her teeth picked (heh) on by a hygienist.

• Locked thread