Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoshie
Nov 22, 2007

Cheesus posted:

For her past several cleaning, her dentist had praised her for her flossing. On her most recent, she could contain herself and revealed that she's only flossed 2-3 times (i waited for her to add "a week" but she didn't and confirmed it was between dental cleanings). Her dentist was nonplussed and responded "electric toothbrush"?

As long as we're on electric toothbrush talk, is there a difference with electric toothbrushes? I have an issue with carries because I used to have anorexia, but really no issues beyond "a lot of fillings" and some de-calcification in the front teeth. I just went in for a cleaning and my dental hygienist suggested I get one, so I've been looking. The prices range between $40.00 and $240.00. Why is the range this wide? Will the higher-end ones just have more bells and whistles (wifi-connected) but not do that much of a better job? Do they actually do $200.00 worth of better cleaning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!
So I had a tooth that apparently had wonky root. It was also the tooth that they anchored my braces with. After the braces came off I had a cavity there, which got fucky and needed a root canal, which got fucky and needed an apicoectomy, which got fucky and I didn't look at in time cause it didn't bother me.

Today the tooth came out and I've got to get a graft before I can get an implant. loving moron that I am, as I'd avoided the dentist for the best part of 6 years.

The only plus out of this is that a bunch of my work friends have also spent years (the record is 10) not going to the dentist and some have booked appointments.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

Shoshie posted:

The prices range between $40.00 and $240.00. Why is the range this wide? Will the higher-end ones just have more bells and whistles (wifi-connected) but not do that much of a better job? Do they actually do $200.00 worth of better cleaning?
I also paid $40 for my Sonicare so i grilled my sister on the $200 one. The biggest difference that stuck with me was a timer for each tooth.

It sounds ridiculous, but as i thought about it, i could see that making a difference with my usage problems.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Shoshie posted:

As long as we're on electric toothbrush talk, is there a difference with electric toothbrushes? I have an issue with carries because I used to have anorexia, but really no issues beyond "a lot of fillings" and some de-calcification in the front teeth. I just went in for a cleaning and my dental hygienist suggested I get one, so I've been looking. The prices range between $40.00 and $240.00. Why is the range this wide? Will the higher-end ones just have more bells and whistles (wifi-connected) but not do that much of a better job? Do they actually do $200.00 worth of better cleaning?

Mine has a sensor that flashes when I brush too hard, and a timer. That’s it. My bro in law works for oral b so mine are free. But I wouldn’t by a 200 toothbrush. Maybe 100 for an oral b

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Getting my wisdom teeth out this Friday. Hopefully that doesn't suck too bad. I'm 31 which is a fair bit older than when you're normally recommended to get them out.

Stocked up on some yogurt and poo poo to gum away at like a 90 year old man this weekend. Hoping the recovery isn't too long for this. I took Friday off work and might take Monday too.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
You’ll be fine. Your weekend’s gonna suck but usually day 2 or 3 is the worst and then it pretty quickly gets better. My completely nonmedical advice based solely on my personal anecdotal experience is to try to tough out the pain during the day and take your painkillers a half hour before bedtime, so you feel their full effect and can sleep. That and drink plenty of water even if you don’t want to.

Unless the surgeon prescribes codeine, that poo poo will KO you flat for 4 hours whenever you take it.

If your job involves either a lot of talking or a lot of physical activity then you will probably want to take Monday off unless your pain tolerance is higher than mine (quite possible) and/or you don’t mind keeping ibuprofen in your bloodstream all day.

Oh and definitely take the surgeon’s assistants seriously when they tell you not to suck on anything or spit forcefully for like a week. That can lead to dry socket and dry socket can make you want to die.

All that probably makes the whole thing sound scarier than it is. Your mouth will hurt for like 3 days and then you’ll be fine, like 98%.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 15, 2018

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I had a molar pulled on Tuesday and it didn’t go smoothly. Tooth started breaking up and the surgeon had to cut pretty deep to get it all out. This was my third extraction (and, God willing, last for at least a few decades) and the pain and swelling was way worse than before. Still went back to work Thursday. The swelling is almost gone but after 4 days of the pain slowly lessening it’s been increasing since yesterday morning. Here’s hoping it’s nothing to worry about but definitely calling the surgeon’s office tomorrow to make sure.

tl;dr floss your loving teeth and go to your loving dentist, kids. It’s nowhere NEAR as unpleasant (or expensive) as abscesses, infected gums, root canals and extractions.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

You’ll be fine. Your weekend’s gonna suck but usually day 2 or 3 is the worst and then it pretty quickly gets better. My completely nonmedical advice based solely on my personal anecdotal experience is to try to tough out the pain during the day and take your painkillers a half hour before bedtime, so you feel their full effect and can sleep. That and drink plenty of water even if you don’t want to.

Unless the surgeon prescribes codeine, that poo poo will KO you flat for 4 hours whenever you take it.

If your job involves either a lot of talking or a lot of physical activity then you will probably want to take Monday off unless your pain tolerance is higher than mine (quite possible) and/or you don’t mind keeping ibuprofen in your bloodstream all day.

Oh and definitely take the surgeon’s assistants seriously when they tell you not to suck on anything or spit forcefully for like a week. That can lead to dry socket and dry socket can make you want to die.

All that probably makes the whole thing sound scarier than it is. Your mouth will hurt for like 3 days and then you’ll be fine, like 98%.

It honestly depends with my job. Some days I have a ton of calls with customers and some days it's just emailing all day. I could just block off my calendar and do only emailing I suppose. I also have the flexibility to work from home if needed which is nice. But I also have a poo poo load of PTO atm and might just say gently caress it and do a 4 day weekend. Hopefully by Tuesday I'll be recovered enough to do things. As for pain tolerance, I feel like I'm ok at it. I've got a bunch of ibuprofen at home if the pain becomes intolerable. I was popping them about 2 times a day when my tooth was infected. I'm hoping the pain from this will be not as bad, but we'll see. And I'm definitely not gonna use straws or suck on anything (insert joke here) since dry socket sounds awful. My teeth are nice and straight and I do cleanings every 6 months so god willing this will be the last of my tooth problems for a while.

And that sucks about your tooth. Hope that pain gets better for you. And yeah definitely take care of your teeth (and health for that matter). Appointments suck, as do cleanings, physicals, etc, but waiting until you have a problem to go is way worse.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It definitely won’t be as bad as an infected cavity/abscess at any point.

The actual dental people ITT can correct me if I’m wrong but I think dry socket mostly happens to smokers who, like, need their nicotine, man, and disregard the dentist/surgeon’s warning not to smoke for at least three days post-op

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Well I don't smoke so that shouldn't be a problem

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Eric the Mauve posted:

It definitely won’t be as bad as an infected cavity/abscess at any point.

The actual dental people ITT can correct me if I’m wrong but I think dry socket mostly happens to smokers who, like, need their nicotine, man, and disregard the dentist/surgeon’s warning not to smoke for at least three days post-op

I had some pretty serious maxillofacial surgery, mouth wired shut for a few weeks, lots of swelling, etc. I wound up buying Parliaments because the recessed filter was so much easier to pull. I didn't know about the dry socket thing, no one warned me about that. Fortunately, nothing happened.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
This thread motivated me to check up my teeth. almost 3.5 years since last time when I did itfor free (free dental up to 23 years old).

My teeth were perfect. dentost said I didn’t need to go to a dental hygenist. I asked about calculus since I smoke but they were in tip top shape. Thanks thread.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Don’t worry, keep on smoking and you’ll be paying for a local oral surgeon’s three week skiing trip by the time you’re 40

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

von Braun posted:

This thread motivated me to check up my teeth. almost 3.5 years since last time when I did itfor free (free dental up to 23 years old).

My teeth were perfect. dentost said I didn’t need to go to a dental hygenist. I asked about calculus since I smoke but they were in tip top shape. Thanks thread.

So you went to a dentist, had no cleaning in 3+ years, and didn’t have them cleaned? Get a new dentist.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Yeah when I took two years off of seeing a dentist due to lacking insurance I had cavities when I got back to them and the cleaning was definitely needed as well.

Even if you're a tremendous brusher you're still gonna want to get em cleaned. Brushing/flossing only does so much.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ginette Reno posted:

Yeah when I took two years off of seeing a dentist due to lacking insurance I had cavities when I got back to them and the cleaning was definitely needed as well.

Even if you're a tremendous brusher you're still gonna want to get em cleaned. Brushing/flossing only does so much.

There is no way the human body doesn't build up calc on teeth after that long, much less stains from smoking/coffee/etc. That's a Bad Dentist. idgi either because its more money for him, even necessary.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Burt Sexual posted:

There is no way the human body doesn't build up calc on teeth after that long, much less stains from smoking/coffee/etc. That's a Bad Dentist. idgi either because its more money for him, even necessary.

I dunno. I've never met a dentist that didn't insist on cleanings every 6 months.

I guess it'd be possible to avoid that if you ate like a Monk and only drank water and ate oatmeal or some poo poo but the average person's diet is gonna make cleanings highly recommended.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Ginette Reno posted:

I guess it'd be possible to avoid that if you ate like a Monk and only drank water and ate oatmeal or some poo poo but the average person's diet is gonna make cleanings highly recommended.

Let me introduce you to black hairy tongue, which is a thing that can happen if your diet is too soft.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Guys, I don't think that poster actually went to the dentist...

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I like how that article is in a subfolder called /gbs/

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Burt Sexual posted:

So you went to a dentist, had no cleaning in 3+ years, and didn’t have them cleaned? Get a new dentist.

Yes? I booked a meeting with a dentist for a check up, not a cleaning. She found nothing wrong with them and I was on my way out.
Was it that hard to understand?

e: I take care of my teeth very well.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

von Braun posted:

Yes? I booked a meeting with a dentist for a check up, not a cleaning. She found nothing wrong with them and I was on my way out.
Was it that hard to understand?

e: I take care of my teeth very well.

Imagine if you hadn't changed your car's oil in three years, brought it to a mechanic for a checkup and he didn't advise you to change your oil.

That is the dentist you saw.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Well, I did it guys. Wisdom teeth gone at the ripe ole age of 31. Hopefully I recover alright. They put me out for it. The last thing I remember is them hooking me up to some poo poo and then telling me to make a fist with my hand. Next thing I know I woke up with gauze in my mouth. I felt a little loopy after the surgery for like an hour but I didn't say or do anything crazy. Was mostly just unsteady on my feet.

At home resting now. The numbness has not worn off yet so I don't feel a thing. I have no swelling either but I'm using some ice packs off and on just as precaution. Been drinking water/protein shakes and I ate a yogurt without incident.

I guess the real ordeal now will be how I feel when the numbing agents wear off because right now I feel right as fuckin rain. They gave me a script for some extra strength ibuprofen and also some hydrocodone. I don't plan to take the hydros unless the pain is really bad because that poo poo will put me off the deep end I'm sure. But I have started taking the ibuprofen every 8 hours now even though I don't feel any pain. Might as well preempt it because I'm sure the pain is coming.

I've got antibiotics to take as well and I've started on those.

Tbh I was really worried about being put under more so than the actual procedure itself but I'm glad now that I was. It's the weirdest fuckin thing. You wake up and feel like absolutely no time has passed at all. It's nothing at all like sleeping. You're just...gone. And then you're back. I'd been the hospital for stitches, broken bones etc before but never got Anesthesia until today so that was the main part I was paranoid about. Apparently my body takes to it alright though because I felt no nausea or anything when I got up. Felt a little loopy, but that's all.

Hopefully the next few days don't suck too bad but they gave me some pretty good pain meds so I feel like I'll be past this before I know it :toot:.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ginette Reno posted:

Well, I did it guys. Wisdom teeth gone at the ripe ole age of 31. Hopefully I recover alright. They put me out for it. The last thing I remember is them hooking me up to some poo poo and then telling me to make a fist with my hand. Next thing I know I woke up with gauze in my mouth. I felt a little loopy after the surgery for like an hour but I didn't say or do anything crazy. Was mostly just unsteady on my feet.

At home resting now. The numbness has not worn off yet so I don't feel a thing. I have no swelling either but I'm using some ice packs off and on just as precaution. Been drinking water/protein shakes and I ate a yogurt without incident.

I guess the real ordeal now will be how I feel when the numbing agents wear off because right now I feel right as fuckin rain. They gave me a script for some extra strength ibuprofen and also some hydrocodone. I don't plan to take the hydros unless the pain is really bad because that poo poo will put me off the deep end I'm sure. But I have started taking the ibuprofen every 8 hours now even though I don't feel any pain. Might as well preempt it because I'm sure the pain is coming.

I've got antibiotics to take as well and I've started on those.

Tbh I was really worried about being put under more so than the actual procedure itself but I'm glad now that I was. It's the weirdest fuckin thing. You wake up and feel like absolutely no time has passed at all. It's nothing at all like sleeping. You're just...gone. And then you're back. I'd been the hospital for stitches, broken bones etc before but never got Anesthesia until today so that was the main part I was paranoid about. Apparently my body takes to it alright though because I felt no nausea or anything when I got up. Felt a little loopy, but that's all.

Hopefully the next few days don't suck too bad but they gave me some pretty good pain meds so I feel like I'll be past this before I know it :toot:.

Yeah, I went under for the first time too last year. Wild. It's good to have skilled anesthetists. Sounds like you are on top of all of this, and yeah easy on the hydros. I bet you won't even need them. I got codeine and never used but one I think. Good luck!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Hydrocodone didn't seem to do much for me that ibuprofen didn't, other than give me some really weird dreams.

I got codeine after my extraction last week but didn't use it. GR, IMO you're best off not taking ibuprofen until you need it/until bedtime. Pop like 600mg a half hour before you want to sleep (and some melatonin if you happen to have any) and you should be OK. You probably won't need the hydrocodone.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Yeah I'll have to see how I feel. My dad has MS and has taken hydros before for his surgeries and stuff and he says it's pretty powerful so I'd prefer to avoid it unless I really need it. I'll see if the ibuprofen is enough.

Thanks for the kind words duders.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I had mine done 10 years ago, when they weren't paranoid about giving you Vicodin for having chunks of bone drilled out of you. The Vicodin didn't make me loopy or feel out of control at all, if that's what you're afraid of. I hate that feeling (like I don't drink and I won't do nitrous at the dentist) and I had none of it.

Good luck with the ibuprofen, definitely take them on the prescribed schedule to stay ahead of the pain, and remember you can take acetaminophen (Tylenol) safely with ibuprofen https://www.goodrx.com/blog/is-it-safe-to-take-tylenol-acetaminophen-with-advil-or-motrin-ibuprofen/

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Anne Whateley posted:

I had mine done 10 years ago, when they weren't paranoid about giving you Vicodin for having chunks of bone drilled out of you. The Vicodin didn't make me loopy or feel out of control at all, if that's what you're afraid of. I hate that feeling (like I don't drink and I won't do nitrous at the dentist) and I had none of it.

Good luck with the ibuprofen, definitely take them on the prescribed schedule to stay ahead of the pain, and remember you can take acetaminophen (Tylenol) safely with ibuprofen https://www.goodrx.com/blog/is-it-safe-to-take-tylenol-acetaminophen-with-advil-or-motrin-ibuprofen/

Yeah I'm not like super afraid of that or anything. I've been blackout drunk way too many times, and have mixed drink/weed before to the point that the room was spinning and I couldn't focus.

So if they did make me loopy it wouldn't be anything I haven't experienced before, I guess. It's mainly just if I don't need them I don't see a point in going overboard and taking them. If the ibuprofen keeps me on the level, I'll stick with that.

Good point on the Tylenol. I'll keep that in mind. The really weird thing for me right now is I had all 4 out and I have no swelling whatsoever. I don't know if that's normal or what. I've iced my face off and on today as a precaution because they said to. Maybe it won't swell much until the numbing stuff wears off, I dunno.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
Vicodin isn't really that strong at all. If you're worried about it, take one or break one in half.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I think they moved away from Vicodin because it's fairly addictive

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
In most countries it's not normal to take opioids for wisdom teeth surgery. If it's something you can tough out, all the better, because opioids have this way of making some people liking them way too much - to understate it. It's something you don't want to get a taste for.

The ibuprofen should be enough, especially since it acts against swelling and vicodin does not.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
So uh this is weird as gently caress but I have felt hardly any pain yet. No swelling either. I'm still taking the pills as a precaution because you never know when the pain could start. Also might hold off another day or two before trying to do more than eat really soft stuff just because I dunno how my mouth is gonna take it yet.

But god drat I have *knock on wood* really lucked out so far in terms of how my body is taking this. I thought for sure the pain would start once the numbness wore off but it's a day later and I still feel only the slightest soreness. I guess everyone reacts differently but I'm pretty relieved with how I'm feeling so far. I have been taking this extra strength ibuprofen twice a day so maybe that has gotten in front of any potential pain but even when I got up this morning and the dose I took last night should have worn off I still felt little.

I have smaller teeth and the Surgeon said they came right out when he did the surgery so maybe I just got lucky and he did a bomb rear end job of it? I'm pretty relieved with how I'm feeling though I know it's still possible for complications to come up but gently caress it for now I'm feeling pretty good.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
It's very individual. You might get pain or you might not. I had perhaps moderately difficult wisdom teeth extractions and had no pain to speak of at any point. Bled for a whole day or more, but the whole experience was more somewhat annoying than anything else.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Yeah when I got mine out I had very manageable pain and little swelling. Mostly discovered that mashed root veggies are delicious and was sore in the back of my mouth for like a month.

But I guarantee that if I hadn’t iced and rested my first couple of days after it would’ve been a different story.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

My temporary crown on my #4 cracked and fell off in the early hours of the morning (after two loving days), while I slept. It happening woke me up but and I managed to recover the majority of the crown. My dentist is closed today so I can't immediately schedule an appointment.

Should I just go there when it opens tomorrow as early as possible? In the mean time is it ok to drink water and eat ramen? I want to do as little as possible to agitate the stake they put in so want to avoid problematic foods.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I mean water is fine but if I were in your position I would just not eat anything at all except maybe oatmeal or plain yogurt or something babyfoodish like that until it’s been dealt with.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I haven't seen a similar question asked, apologies if it has.

Growing up I had what I think is very average hygiene, which I guess is not very good. I'd always get "scolded" by the dentist and always mostly ignored their advice.

I've been trying to turn things around for a while; I now floss almost every day and brush my teeth usually 2, sometimes 3 times a day.

I'm mostly hoping these habits will make it so that next time I go to the dentist they'll just shrug and go "heh, great teeth" and won't have to scrape, or clean, or barely anyway.

Is this realistic / possible? Should I do even more, or add other habits such as mouthwash? I guess the results would vary from person to person, but I'm curious what you'd see as a "perfect" mouth hygiene.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Colonel J posted:

I haven't seen a similar question asked, apologies if it has.

Growing up I had what I think is very average hygiene, which I guess is not very good. I'd always get "scolded" by the dentist and always mostly ignored their advice.

I've been trying to turn things around for a while; I now floss almost every day and brush my teeth usually 2, sometimes 3 times a day.

I'm mostly hoping these habits will make it so that next time I go to the dentist they'll just shrug and go "heh, great teeth" and won't have to scrape, or clean, or barely anyway.

Is this realistic / possible? Should I do even more, or add other habits such as mouthwash? I guess the results would vary from person to person, but I'm curious what you'd see as a "perfect" mouth hygiene.

To be honest? I doubt it. No matter how good you are at cleaning there's likely to be at least some build up on your teeth. But there's a lot of factors like genetics, how often you get cleanings at the dentist, etc.

Mark Larson
Dec 27, 2003

Interesting...
I went for a chipped/broken molar in March of this year, and got a cleaning a few days after they fixed me up with a temporary filling, because I figured it was time. My last cleaning before that was 1-2 years ago. However, I bled a lot during the cleaning and they told me to get an interdental brush and brush in between my teeth because flossing doesn't get everything.

They also told me to come back in 4 months for another hygienist appointment. So I went in yesterday. Spoiler alert: I've been a stupid goon and didn't do much interdental brushing

However, yesterday during the cleaning I also bled a lot, and today in the morning again. I think this dental hygienist wasn't gentle, she kept poking me in the gums again and again and it hurt. A lot.

What should I be doing to make sure I don't have this bleeding/inflamed gums problem? She also told me to use a Sodium Bicarbonate-based toothpaste, and that there was a lot of plaque on my middle/rear teeth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I floss thoroughly and also use a waterpik at least once a day, and my gums don't bleed at my 6 month cleanings. Cleaning between your teeth is arguably more important than brushing the visible surfaces of them.

• Locked thread