Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I need to visit A/T more because this is a good thread. I had to move a few times due to college and stuff, so I lost my regular dentist along the way. Now that I’m settled, I don’t have an excuse to find a good dentist. Last dentist office I went to was also a pediatrics so I had to deal with hearing children cry constantly. Any advice for finding a dentist? Just peruse Yelp and read the reviews? I only ever had two dentists, one which was my lifelong who died, the other which I had during college with the pediatrics office.

Also not to threadshit, but I don’t think shmorkywife belongs in the OP. It debases what’s already a solid educational thread by picking on a legitimate insane person. Yeah it’s clearly an example of a world without dentistry, but it comes off as tasteless. I say this while admitting I have the freakout audio file (you know the one) somewhere on my laptop. If anything, just remove the name since she likely didn’t want to have her teeth picked (heh) on by a hygienist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
For real though, dude who hasn’t been to the dentist in a decade and a half, do you have insurance? Even a copay is trivially inexpensive just to make sure something terrible isn’t happening underneath. Then you can return to the thread and own all of us for having no cavities in 15 years.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Nessa posted:

When I went to my current dentist a year and a half ago, I told them I would need more shots and they were just like, "You have red hair, so that makes sense."
Good lord, I didnt know there was a genetic component to that.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Yo skeleking is teeth grinding some actual awful thing for my mouth and teeth? Dentist suggests me getting a mouth guard which is like $400 and lol insurance isn’t covering that even partially.

I’m willing to pay up if it’s good in the long run, but I’ve always grinded my teeth and never thought much of it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I'm starting to realize how easy it is to avoid the dentist as an adult. I can see why people put off a visit for entire years at a time.

Semi relatedly, I fell out of love with my waterpick. Yeah, it sort of hurts less than floss initially, but the massive amount of noise it makes turns me off from using it. For whatever reason, I just expected the thing to be silent like in the commercials. Back to using string floss like a caveman, but a quiet caveman at that.

Something Offal posted:

I'm not 100% sure it was the right decision and would like to hear your guys' opinions, but the dentist and surgeon both recommended it like I said. Sigh.
I don't regret mine. In fact I wish I listened to my dentist sooner, because I ignored it until they started causing pain. That level of pain was absolutely horrifying and led me to pleading my dentist & surgeon to get them removed as soon as humanly possible for gods sake it hurts!

Besides pain, it's good to make use of insurance coverage while you have it. Things happen, might as well deal with it now for cheap/free than have a chance of shelling out the big bucks when times are tough.

drug talk: I'm surprised how little Vicodin helped in my case (I had some college buddies who wanted to buy the bottle from me and hyped it up to be this huge deal). Extra strength Tylenol accomplished the same task for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

Ofaloaf posted:

What's some good tips for dealing with a strong gag reflex? I just got a filling for a cavity in a back upper molar, and it was just so damnedly embarrassing to keep prompting the dentist to stop because something would set off the reflex and I suddenly had the urge to bolt up and cough. Didn't help that my nose is perennially clogged which means I mouth breathe like crazy.

I hate being a lousy patient. :smith:

When are you having your appointments? I gag incredibly easy in the mornings and its impossible to get anything "invasive" done. Afternoons make a world of difference for me.

• Locked thread