Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
etalian
Mar 20, 2006

nopantsjack posted:

the varangians were also famous for Never Betraying their Emperor, except for the times they did

lol

quote:

Unlike the native Byzantine guards so mistrusted by Basil II, the Varangian guards' loyalties lay with the position of Emperor, not the man that sat on the throne. This was made clear in 969 when the guards failed to avenge the death by assassination of Emperor Nikephoros II.

A servant had managed to call for the guards while the Emperor was being attacked, but when they arrived he was dead. They immediately knelt before John Tzimiskes, Nikephoros' murderer and hailed him as Emperor. "Alive they would have defended him to the last breath: dead there was no point in avenging him. They had a new master now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

nopantsjack posted:

i only recently learned what a varangian was.

basically the eastern roman empire started hiring vikings because they were giant smelly murderers too dumb to fear death, so many vikings in fact that the home countries in scandinavia had to disinherit any men who went to Constantinople because like 70% of the male population kept leaving as soon as they could, plenty of people still did though because it was insanely more advanced, rich and presumably fun than hanging out in a frozen wasteland eating buried fish

iirc one of the early texts describing a viking coming back from his time in Constantinople has the local women absolutely fawning over this guys fancy red cloak and bejewelled sword, as well as a dagger since back then carrying a sword AND dagger at once meant you were class as hell

thats one of the reasons the ancient world owns imo, you could sail for a few weeks and end up in a city practically 1000 years in the future as far as vikings were concerned

Pretty sure you were TECHNICALLY only disinherited if you were in constantinople when whoever it was died, you couldn't come back to the town your brother had been ruling for 4 years and be all "sucks to be you, this was actually mine this whole time."

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

nopantsjack posted:

i only recently learned what a varangian was.

basically the eastern roman empire started hiring vikings because they were giant smelly murderers too dumb to fear death, so many vikings in fact that the home countries in scandinavia had to disinherit any men who went to Constantinople because like 70% of the male population kept leaving as soon as they could, plenty of people still did though because it was insanely more advanced, rich and presumably fun than hanging out in a frozen wasteland eating buried fish

iirc one of the early texts describing a viking coming back from his time in Constantinople has the local women absolutely fawning over this guys fancy red cloak and bejewelled sword, as well as a dagger since back then carrying a sword AND dagger at once meant you were class as hell

thats one of the reasons the ancient world owns imo, you could sail for a few weeks and end up in a city practically 1000 years in the future as far as vikings were concerned

I loving hate how all my kids leave in CK2 :(

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dreddout posted:

I loving hate how all my kids leave in CK2 :(

if they come back tho, they return with great stat bonuses

but man, what a mind-gently caress that must've been coming back to resettle in sweden or norway or the kievan rus after years in one of the top three fanciest cities on earth at the time. no wonder they were willing to go on vikes afterwards

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

"Roman names" include women's names, which up until the High Empire they didn't so much have. All a man's daughters had the same name, that being the family nomen. So Claudius has daughters Clodia, Clodia, Clodia, and Clodia. In practice, they might be called Clodia the Elder, Clodia the Younger, and Clodia the Third. They could also be Clodia Offred Metellus'sWife.

Still beats being an Athenian woman all to hell and gone.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

nopantsjack posted:

the varangians were also famous for Never Betraying their Emperor, except for the times they did

They were loyal to the emperor, so if you stabbed the old emperor, and became the new one, whelp, them's the rules. Another funny tidbit... it wasn't just vikings. So many Anglo-Saxon nobles left England after William the Conquerer dispossessed them that it became the Anglo-Varangian guard for a while.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

sullat posted:

They were loyal to the emperor, so if you stabbed the old emperor, and became the new one, whelp, them's the rules. Another funny tidbit... it wasn't just vikings. So many Anglo-Saxon nobles left England after William the Conquerer dispossessed them that it became the Anglo-Varangian guard for a while.

Did they come from the Danelaw regions or the celtic ones?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

maybe im getting the timing wrong but during the dark ages after the romans left western europe in britian we were all like "what titaines madeth thine roadf and bathf, wither they gods or man?" and the romans were literally just chilling out in Turkey the whole time.

did nobody tell us?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

zeal posted:

if they come back tho, they return with great stat bonuses

but man, what a mind-gently caress that must've been coming back to resettle in sweden or norway or the kievan rus after years in one of the top three fanciest cities on earth at the time. no wonder they were willing to go on vikes afterwards

they also come back gay sometime, while there's nothing wrong with that it really does screw over your chance of securing your bloodline

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

nopantsjack posted:

maybe im getting the timing wrong but during the dark ages after the romans left western europe in britian we were all like "what titaines madeth thine roadf and bathf, wither they gods or man?" and the romans were literally just chilling out in Turkey the whole time.

did nobody tell us?
Turns out communications networks collapse without human investment, who knew?

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Typo posted:

they also come back gay sometime, while there's nothing wrong with that it really does screw over your chance of securing your bloodline

Fuckin' Greeks corrupting our viking youth with bathing and buttsex

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Dreddout posted:

buttsex during bathing

learn more history schlub :agesilaus:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Did they come from the Danelaw regions or the celtic ones?

My understanding is that during the 20 years after the conquest, William was diligently stripping away lands from the Saxon nobles to give to Norman ones. The dispossessed nobles had heard about the Varangian guard somehow, and flocked there to join up. Presumably they came from the south of England first, and then the north during the 'harrying of the North'. Apparently, they still held a grudge 20 years later in a battle against Sicilian Normans, where they charged the enemy line without orders and got massacred to the last man.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

nopantsjack posted:

did nobody tell us?

There was at least one generation between the withdrawal of the legions and the eventual end of Romano-British rule, so it's not like everyone got a terminal case of the stupids overnight. However, as decades passed and acquired knowledge dwindled, accelerated by both the end of contact with the old Imperial center and the influx of less technologically advanced peoples like the Saxons, bit by bit people forgot what they'd forgot. Eventually, you have people who don't know much about where those old stone ruins came from, only that they've been there A Really Long Time and further speculation is pointless because we've more pressing concerns like that big, heavily-mailed Scandinavian fellow with the gory battle ax over there.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Top City Homo posted:

buttsex during bathing

learn more history schlub :agesilaus:
I highly, highly recommend John Clarke's Roman Sex, which will tell you a lot about how Romans categorized sex -- what counted as "manly", for instance -- and what they considered appropriate and inappropriate. Also lots of pictures.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Typo posted:

just be bisexual, idiots

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I highly, highly recommend John Clarke's Roman Sex, which will tell you a lot about how Romans categorized sex -- what counted as "manly", for instance -- and what they considered appropriate and inappropriate. Also lots of pictures.

didn't they consider beards too womanly?

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Captain_Maclaine posted:

There was at least one generation between the withdrawal of the legions and the eventual end of Romano-British rule, so it's not like everyone got a terminal case of the stupids overnight. However, as decades passed and acquired knowledge dwindled, accelerated by both the end of contact with the old Imperial center and the influx of less technologically advanced peoples like the Saxons, bit by bit people forgot what they'd forgot. Eventually, you have people who don't know much about where those old stone ruins came from, only that they've been there A Really Long Time and further speculation is pointless because we've more pressing concerns like that big, heavily-mailed Scandinavian fellow with the gory battle ax over there.

makes you wonder how much we'll forget in the next 1k years

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

got any sevens posted:

Next thousand years nothing, I got me a deluxe size bowl of chili right here and by the time I'm done I'm not remembering anything.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

got any sevens posted:

Barring a catastrophe that's in the sweet spot of damaging civilzation but not wiping us out I can't imagine much.

Electronic data archiving really is a game changer.

A thousand years from now, the ai overmind of planet Saturn will still be able to look up what groverhaus was

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
lol you think we'll still have electricity

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

got any sevens posted:

lol you think we'll still have electricity

The quantum hard drives that contain the sum total of human knowledge will look quite dramatic around the necks of the last techno-shamans, as they try and ward off the creeping radiation sickness.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

lol, literally just lol, if u think digital garbage lasts forever w/o decaying

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Dreddout posted:

Barring a catastrophe that's in the sweet spot of damaging civilzation but not wiping us out I can't imagine much.

Electronic data archiving really is a game changer.

A thousand years from now, the ai overmind of planet Saturn will still be able to look up what groverhaus was

ACCESS SUM OF OLDHUMAN KNOWLEDGE PRIOR TO GREAT MIGRATION
PROCESSING...
PROCESSING...
RETRIEVED.
HEH, "DICKBUTT." HEH.

Captain_Maclaine has issued a correction as of 04:12 on Oct 22, 2017

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Yandat posted:

best Rome podcast is Fall of Rome with Patrick Wyman

thanks for this. i tried listening to the dan carlin one a few years ago and it was pretty bad

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Captain_Maclaine posted:

ACCESS SUM OF OLDHUMAN KNOWLEDGE PRIOR TO GREAT MIGRATION
PROCESSING...
PROCESSING...
RETRIEVED.
HEH, "DICKBUTT." HEH.

*builds a constellation of Dyson Spheres*

*uses it to calculate Pepe rarity*

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
What's wrong with Carlin

I haven't listened to his rome stuff, but of the stuff I have heard, the worst thing you can say is that he's too pop-history.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Dreddout posted:

Please don't spread this sort of prejudice. The Vikings were really into personal hygiene and grooming (not the Greeco-Roman kind).

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

rudatron posted:

What's wrong with Carlin

I haven't listened to his rome stuff, but of the stuff I have heard, the worst thing you can say is that he's too pop-history.

Carlin use of sources is Trump-esque. He uses untruthful, wrong, outdated, debunked sources and, together with his great-man analysis (he's super stupid), the effect is only bombastic nonsense. At best, he's a drama queen that wants to make history like a movie trailer; at worst, it's like listening to the Daily Mail citing Info Wars...

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

This aint precisely roman but ive been reading the autobiography of this tall drink of water and it owns. He's insanely frank about what it's like to be a 15th century central asian warlord, turns out its chill af wine and opium parties (never mix, apparently it's a bad idea) 24/7. He gets black out drunk a lot and rides through camp lighting tents on fire, trips balls while invading india, berates his son's handwriting, hunts mad rhino. It's a wild read

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

rudatron posted:

What's wrong with Carlin

he peaked at rome the rest of his stuff are bad

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Please don't spread this sort of prejudice. The Vikings were really into personal hygiene and grooming (not the Greeco-Roman kind).

Not true according to the swedes themselves, I was at a swedish Viking museum last year and they talked about how filthy they were.

The only primary source they had was a Muslim tourist writing down his travels who said something like "By Allah! These are the filthiest people god ever created!"

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

They blew snot into a bowl and passed it around

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

nopantsjack posted:

Not true according to the swedes themselves, I was at a swedish Viking museum last year and they talked about how filthy they were.

The only primary source they had was a Muslim tourist writing down his travels who said something like "By Allah! These are the filthiest people god ever created!"
Antonio Banderas was hanging out with Vikings on a difficult journey, plus Muslim grooming standards were pretty high as well. In England, the cleanliness of the Vikings actually lead to social upheaval, as the local women became enthralled with these beautiful foreigners.

"... and caused much trouble to the natives of the land; for they were wont, after the fashion of their country, to comb their hair every day, to bathe every Saturday, to change their garments often, and set off their persons by many such frivolous devices. In this matter they laid siege to the virtue of the married woman, and persuaded the daughters even of the noble to be their concubines. For these and other like causes there arose many quarrels and was in the realm."

Ali Alkali
Apr 23, 2008
Western europeans, dogs living in their own poo poo.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Antonio Banderas was hanging out with Vikings on a difficult journey, plus Muslim grooming standards were pretty high as well. In England, the cleanliness of the Vikings actually lead to social upheaval, as the local women became enthralled with these beautiful foreigners.

"... and caused much trouble to the natives of the land; for they were wont, after the fashion of their country, to comb their hair every day, to bathe every Saturday, to change their garments often, and set off their persons by many such frivolous devices. In this matter they laid siege to the virtue of the married woman, and persuaded the daughters even of the noble to be their concubines. For these and other like causes there arose many quarrels and was in the realm."

Oh yeah no doubt they were cleaner than English bog people, we only remotely became clean recently and used to think washing yourself was unhealthy.

They're still filthy bastards only bathing once a week despite living a much dirtier lifestyle than we do today.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

If you had the choice between loving a dirty Scandinavian or a hideous British person who has only bathed for medical purposes you'd gently caress the scando every time.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Ali Alkali posted:

Western europeans, dogs living in their own poo poo.

gotta form that disease resistance to prep for the late game

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

nopantsjack posted:

His complaint was that they shared bowls when they washed their faces every day. Water someone else has already used is ritually unclean in Islam so that legitimately probably seemed actively more dirty than the people who weren't bothering to wash in the first place, at least they were just STAYING filthy instead of actively wiping filth onto themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

rudatron posted:

What's wrong with Carlin

His early stuff is decent though not particularly deep, and it only goes down hill from there particularly as he's, what's a nice way to say this, less than thorough and discriminating in what sources he draws from.

• Locked thread