Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I don't get what Leo was doing or what his text to Klaus meant at the end.

EDIT: My guess is he used his eyes to see the vampire's true name, which Klaus needed to seal him? This is possibly subconscious memories of season 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Sindai posted:

he texted him the true name of the vampire, so he could seal it

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Sindai posted:

EDIT: My guess is he used his eyes to see the vampire's true name, which Klaus needed to seal him? This is possibly subconscious memories of season 1.

Correct. This episode is a bit rushed, especially the ending, because the VampireBlood Breed notes that something is different about their resolve this time. I still love the lost hospital arc, but this was a bit fast...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Finally able to see the new episodes and drat they're good :stwoon:.

Both episodes have had nothing to do with the manga (at least with a quick glance of the Chapter titles, so I may be wrong), and they're both great. The whole opening with people getting abducted, blown up, attacked is just a slow morning was fun, and I loved the sight of all the monsters wretching at the sight of the big guy getting CROSSED. My only minor complaint with the first episode is it needed a better (brief) intro to Leonard's eyes than a quick flash of a few frames, because it didn't explain what they actually do. Just something like using them to look through walls and see if it's safe to run, that kinda thing.

The second ep was great too. We get a better look at the Collapse as it happened, had a bunch of new characters, and they're just fellow denizens of Hellsalem's Lot like everyone else. Casters get a brief mention, but it's still as it should be as best as possible; poo poo happened, suddenly Hellsalem's Lot is where New York City was, and the general inference that something unseen was reshaping the city on purpose is actually a really neat concept because like so many things Beyond, we don't want to meet it.

The only other bad thing I can say is the ED isn't as great as Sugar Song to Bitter Step and its dance routines, but that is a hell of a tough act to follow. I actually I like the new OP better still.

Best of all though; the next episode is Day In, Day Out, one of the most fun stories in the manga and something I was hoping would be in the first season :peanut:.

The ED also gives away another manga story that's gonna be adapted; the brain and eye in the lightbulb-shaped tank is from One Butler's Blitzkreig.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Her true form when she combines looks real cool. I especially like the hair.

I quite like the detail of the divided versions getting younger as they split, because it's a nice quick way to show there's potentially a finite limit to what she can do and oh god can she bring hell down on anything that threatens her patients :stare:.

Postal Parcel posted:

Correct. This episode is a bit rushed, especially the ending, because the VampireBlood Breed notes that something is different about their resolve this time. I still love the lost hospital arc, but this was a bit fast...

I think it's assuming you've already seen the first season, as the whole thing with Blood Breed true names is something they go into explicit detail there. If you already know that, you probably not surprised to see Leo furiously texting the name to Klaus.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Finally able to see the new episodes and drat they're good :stwoon:.

Both episodes have had nothing to do with the manga (at least with a quick glance of the Chapter titles, so I may be wrong), and they're both great.

First episode was the first chapter of BBB2: B2B
Second episode is Vol. 9 of BBB

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Postal Parcel posted:

First episode was the first chapter of BBB2: B2B
Second episode is Vol. 9 of BBB

Ahh, okay. What's the B2B stand for?

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ahh, okay. What's the B2B stand for?

Electric BoogalooBack 2 Back

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

I really, really liked episode 2. The entire setting makes so much more sense after watching that.

It wasn't that society slowly adapted to weird incursions by all these creatures after the Great Collapse, but that the two realities were instantly melded in the area of New York once the barrier went up. This makes it much more believable as a setting than everyone in New York just shrugging off all the weird creatures, establishing a new order, and going on with their lives.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Some dumb detail I just realized, but I like how episode 2 of both seasons ended with someone hospitalized in bodycast, they even use the same overhead shot.

Bendigeidfran
Dec 17, 2013

Wait a minute...

Some cute Trigun refs this season.

Things have been surprisingly lore-focused so far, and apparently these stories aren't in the manga? Wild. I wonder if Nightow was involved here; anime diverge from the source material pretty often but these are some major things they're setting up.

The Beyond doctor who's just a book-lich on a bandstand was awesome. Triply so cuz he's such a decent guy. Like, did you see how well that hospital runs now under his guidance? Inter-dimensional cooperation is great!

And sorry, Dr. Estevez, but I'm afraid Klaus is lovingly married to his career :v

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Multiple Surgeon is cool and I hope she comes back.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Sindai posted:

Multiple Surgeon is cool and I hope she comes back.

She (They?) is in the OP so I'm guess she'll be working with Libra a lot.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Oh poo poo I forgot this was on. And the next episode is Day In, Day Out you say???? :syoon:

If there's going to be more original content then I hope they actually add more Femt and Aligula doing poo poo. Both are total one-offs in the manga while their added showings in S1 were activity free mostly (though Aligula was way better in the anime, her fuckin wrestling Leo over being wishy washy owned)

VibrantPareidolia
Oct 12, 2012
Just watched episode two and I'm wondering if this is someone in particular. There have been quite a number of pilots who've gotten lost at sea so it could just be a non-specific reference I suppose.

The new ED is really frantic, but there are so many nice little details you just have to keep pausing every frame to look at it all. Dance party ED from the 1st season will always have a place in my heart, but I like this one too! There were a lot of blink-and-you-miss-it things I'm going to take as confirmation of the stories we'll see this season and I'm really looking forward to them

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

VibrantPareidolia posted:

Just watched episode two and I'm wondering if this is someone in particular. There have been quite a number of pilots who've gotten lost at sea so it could just be a non-specific reference I suppose.

The new ED is really frantic, but there are so many nice little details you just have to keep pausing every frame to look at it all. Dance party ED from the 1st season will always have a place in my heart, but I like this one too! There were a lot of blink-and-you-miss-it things I'm going to take as confirmation of the stories we'll see this season and I'm really looking forward to them

The focus on the brain and eye in the jar is a pretty big indication that we're at least getting One Butler's Blitzkreig, because it's too specific a thing to reference.

Professor Irony
Aug 9, 2005

Oh Professor, you'll bury us all!
Blockadin' makes me feel good.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rodyle posted:

Oh poo poo I forgot this was on. And the next episode is Day In, Day Out you say???? :syoon:

If there's going to be more original content then I hope they actually add more Femt and Aligula doing poo poo. Both are total one-offs in the manga while their added showings in S1 were activity free mostly (though Aligula was way better in the anime, her fuckin wrestling Leo over being wishy washy owned)

From checking Femt shows up every once in a bit in the manga. The thing with the beasts that live for 6 hours, 6 Minute and 6 seconds that he made while making Breakfast was also in the manga.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

That is honestly more detail about what happened on the day of collapse than I ever expected the series to cover.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Two episodes in, show owns. Again.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
this is chain's season and i wouldn't have it any other way

Myriad Truths
Oct 13, 2012
This was a very good episode, and much closer to what I was expecting out of the series overall. Just a bunch of superpowered weirdos getting up to their own hijinks and how they intersect.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
That was drat fantastic and everything I hoped it'd be :allears:.

Something with this season in general is they've definitely got a much better handle on what Hellsalem's Lot is like at-large; It's about as peaceful as an active war zone, and if things are quiet then either someone's either about to unleash something, or Lord Gigagigafutmassif (which I actually like better than the manga's name, which is just a literal english version of Gigagigafootmassive) is taking a stroll and OH GOD RUN!

The Colonel posted:

this is chain's season and i wouldn't have it any other way

For what it's worth, it looks like the next episode is another story that centers on Chain; "Werewolf Mission (Chain Possible)".

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Something with this season in general is they've definitely got a much better handle on what Hellsalem's Lot is like at-large; It's about as peaceful as an active war zone, and if things are quiet then either someone's either about to unleash something, or Lord Gigagigafutmassif (which I actually like better than the manga's name, which is just a literal english version of Gigagigafootmassive) is taking a stroll and OH GOD RUN!

For what it's worth, it looks like the next episode is another story that centers on Chain; "Werewolf Mission (Chain Possible)".

She doesn't resemble any werewolf I've ever seen. I wonder if they'll explain where the wolf comes into play.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's Werewolf Mission: Chainpossible

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Guy Goodbody posted:

It's Werewolf Mission: Chainpossible

I was going by the title in the manga, that's definitely much better parsed.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Chain is cool, in my opinion

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Shinjobi posted:

Chain is cool, in my opinion

She's

I was bummed this part got skipped in S1 so it was nice to see it finally

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I always wondered what was going on with Chain. It was weird she was like the only member of Libra who didn't get some kind of episode in season 1.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Sindai posted:

I always wondered what was going on with Chain. It was weird she was like the only member of Libra who didn't get some kind of episode in season 1.

You haven't seen Gilbert's story either!

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Or KK really.

Or Steven.

S1 was mostly Klaus Leo and Zapp/Zedd

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Or KK really.

Or Steven.

S1 was mostly Klaus Leo and Zapp/Zedd

In Zedd's case that was even probably incidental from just being the stories that introduced him so he'd get screentime. The only episode that might've been character development between Zedd and Zapp is Lunge! Launch! Lunch! and hoo boy is it apparent what the writer really wanted to spend time developing there (Casters).

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Veeded and her children are adorable.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Episode 3, guest starring The Blernsball-Loving Aliens From Futurama.

In summary: Zapp spends his days off getting high and working his way down the brothel's employee handbook, gets his dick blown off along with current favorite's boobs; an entire party of Steven's former friends and/or lovers get turned into what I can only assume was cherry-flavored shaved ice; two Bros from out of town get turned into brain-in-a-jar cat toys.

Show's doing a pretty good job of melding humor and body-horror. First season had a hell of a body count too, mind, but I don't remember it being so... visceral. (FWIW, my last word on S1 is that I think the director/writer did a good job. Even if their OCs were kinda dull, they still made 10 really fuckin' solid episodes, so don't take any comparisons as having an axe to grind.)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rangpur posted:

an entire party of Steven's former friends and/or lovers get turned into what I can only assume was cherry-flavored shaved ice;
Oh no, that's just to secure them. Steven's buddies are going to have a long talk about who put them up to trying to grab Steven.

Rangpur posted:

Show's doing a pretty good job of melding humor and body-horror. First season had a hell of a body count too, mind, but I don't remember it being so... visceral. (FWIW, my last word on S1 is that I think the director/writer did a good job. Even if their OCs were kinda dull, they still made 10 really fuckin' solid episodes, so don't take any comparisons as having an axe to grind.)

Season 1's take on Hellsalem's Lot actually neuters the perception of the city a fair bit. You can see it a lot in "Don't Forget to Don't Forget Me", with all the stuff about the city being peaceful between humans and things from Beyond.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh no, that's just to secure them. Steven's buddies are going to have a long talk about who put them up to trying to grab Steven.

Season 1's take on Hellsalem's Lot actually neuters the perception of the city a fair bit. You can see it a lot in "Don't Forget to Don't Forget Me", with all the stuff about the city being peaceful between humans and things from Beyond.

Maybe it mirrors Leo's changing perceptions of the city over time? When he first joined Libra, he had a more surface view of the city. I'm sure that changed over time as he got in deeper and deeper into the seedy underworld.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

There Bias Two posted:

Maybe it mirrors Leo's changing perceptions of the city over time? When he first joined Libra, he had a more surface view of the city. I'm sure that changed over time as he got in deeper and deeper into the seedy underworld.

Nope. Leo's been in the city for a while from the start of the series and knows full-well how dangerous the place is. EVERYONE knows how dangerous Hellsalem's Lot is, just going to the place is not the act of sane people. The little scene at the start of this season with Leo riding his scooter through utter chaos is pretty much Hellsalem's Lot in a nutshell.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think it's theorized that Chain is not actually a Werewolf she is just called one cause she is part of the Werewolf Bureau.

Of course I have not actually read ahead or anything so maybe she showed off some Werewolf stuff in the future.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think you misunderstood the implication I was going for--shaved ice is what's going to be what's left of them after the 'talk.' The man has a private security force of Cenobites for God's sake, how else is it going to end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013
This episode was really good. I loved this chapter as it showed a sort of "Day in the Life" of some of Libra's members.
Next episode is going to be chain and friends which is freaking awesome and has a loving cool fight scene for her. I hope we get to see KK's episode that talks about her children(her child?).

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I was going by the title in the manga, that's definitely much better parsed.

My personal translation(I never read Dark Horse's) was MisChain Impossible
If it's not immediately clear, 90% or more of the titles in the manga are puns of movies. Next episode we learn about Chain's other job and judging by the ED, we get to learn about Leo's "giant" friend

Wakakozake, guest starring Chain Sumeragi

• Locked thread