Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Don't Forget to Don't Forget Me was a pretty spot-on adaptation of the manga story. A key point re: the chaos and danger of HL, and this story exemplifies it to, is that some people can hack it and some can't. Leo, though not as crazy as Zapp or Klaus, IS largely adapted to the city. He sees it as "peaceful" because he's used to the general noise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

I really enjoy that the two dipshits ended up dramatically worse off than if Chain had simply stopped the mugging to begin with.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Oh Snapple! posted:

I really enjoy that the two dipshits ended up dramatically worse off than if Chain had simply stopped the mugging to begin with.

Same goes for Chain as well.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Leo not defending himself using his eyes is infuriating, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they adapted stories in a weird order so that this is before the more capable leo from S1.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he explained very clearly why he didn't defend himself using his eyes

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

darealkooky posted:

Leo not defending himself using his eyes is infuriating, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that they adapted stories in a weird order so that this is before the more capable leo from S1.

He states why, but this story did take place earlier in the manga. I think it would have been around halfway through S1 or a little before but it's been a while since I read it so I don't remember exactly.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

he explained very clearly why he didn't defend himself using his eyes

And it's loving stupid and makes no sense on any level. "I don't want to use my eyes for personal gain": except that he isn't using them for personal gain, he's using them to get the money his sister needs. Being guilty that his sister is blind because he has the eyes and not wanting to use the eyes to help his sister is insanely contradictory and stupid. The thugs could've loving killed Leo in the alley and especially after they stole his stun baton from him, which would've meant that leos sister is a) now blind with nothing to show for it b) losing out on the family member she cares so much about that she's willing to go blind for them and c) no longer has the money she apparently needs rather urgently coming in, all because Leo decided that in that particular moment his own well-being and that of his sisters is less important than his arbitrary self righteous code of honor. "Really cares about his sister" is the only consistent personality trait Leo has besides "is kinda out of his element" but in this episode he basically went completely against that.

And it gets worse because even if we're supposed to buy into Leo having this ridiculous nobility streak at the expense of all else, or that he's just kind of stupid in this particular moment (it happens) that completely contradicts with the fact that he not only went about getting the money back in the absolute worst way possible for no real reason, but he used his eyes for personal gain all the time in season 1, and in rather early episodes too. He uses them on Zapp when he was driving the moped somewhere he didn't care for to change his course and he uses them against the people that kidnapped him, both of which implied themselves to be episodes when Leo was still relatively new in Hellsalem. Am I supposed to believe that he'll use them to defend his life against beyodians or to win an argument but not against a pile of beef that has a weapon trained on him when he has additional goals besides just self preservation?

I don't mean to specifically dump on you and it's not like the series is ruined, but it's a very strange choice that seems to exist basically so we can keep up the streak of Leo never getting a break (yes I'm aware Chain got him the money anyway, he's still down a tooth and spent the whole day getting his rear end beat)

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 22, 2017

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Season 1's take on Hellsalem's Lot actually neuters the perception of the city a fair bit.
Oh good, it's not just my bad memory. To be honest the exploding boobs for some reason really disturbed me and almost ruined the entire episode for me, so I guess I wouldn't have minded if they kept doing that.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i think season 1 pretty accurately conveyed how hosed up the city is, it's just most of that hosed-up-ness barely registers for anyone who isn't Leo and sometimes it doesn't even register for him.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rodyle posted:

Don't Forget to Don't Forget Me was a pretty spot-on adaptation of the manga story. A key point re: the chaos and danger of HL, and this story exemplifies it to, is that some people can hack it and some can't. Leo, though not as crazy as Zapp or Klaus, IS largely adapted to the city. He sees it as "peaceful" because he's used to the general noise

Not quite. There's an entire stretch in the middle of the episode about how happy and peaceful the city is with things like classes for interacting with humans/Beyondians.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

this show is batshit insane

season 1 was kinda slow sometimes with the whole black/white thing but luckily s2e1 makes up for it by pitting the whole loving city against leonardo :allears:

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Oh Snapple! posted:

Chain will crush a mofo's heart in her bare hand, they got off easy lol.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pootybutt posted:

Chain will crush a mofo's heart in her bare hand, they got off easy lol.

I am glad we finally saw what Chain can do combat wise. Namely phasing through guys and crushing their internal organs.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

darealkooky posted:

he uses them against the people that kidnapped him

As someone just getting in to season one and only 3 episodes deep can someone explain what Leo actually did in this scene, which I'm presuming you mean the part from episode 2; because the scene completely lost me and I have no idea what he did. I think he shared his vision with them temporarily to overload and confuse them or something, but the scene mostly left me confused.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

tsob posted:

As someone just getting in to season one and only 3 episodes deep can someone explain what Leo actually did in this scene, which I'm presuming you mean the part from episode 2; because the scene completely lost me and I have no idea what he did. I think he shared his vision with them temporarily to overload and confuse them or something, but the scene mostly left me confused.

He can share his vision with other people which tends to disorient them.

Honestly it probably would have been a bad move to use it on them as it tends to just piss off the people he does it to. Unless he has some backup it likely would have resulted in him getting a even worse beating.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they were normies who had probably never been subject to supernatural powers before, so it likely would have been extra-effective against them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

they were normies who had probably never been subject to supernatural powers before, so it likely would have been extra-effective against them.

He used it on normies once their responce was to try and bash his head in with a bat.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Are you thinking of the truck driver guys trying to beat up Nej to get his spores? I was talking about the body snatching demons putting people in cellophane and then transporting them under an illusion only Leo could spot because of his eyes. Those guys were definitely demons of some kind.

Also, now I've watched another episode that's just left me confused. The episode where Zapp manipulates Klaus in to bare knuckle fighting culminates in Klaus destroying the club's owners head, only for a blood breed to pop out as Leo starts trying to shout warnings about what he is and the vampire throws Klaus across the ring like it was nothing and seems like he's about to try and take Klaus' body for his own. And then it immediately cuts to Zapp, Klaus and Leo outside the club. If it was a book I'd be checking for missing pages, but this is an episode on Crunchyroll so I just have to assume that's the way the episode is meant to be and I've no idea what just happened. I guess this is appropriate, since I find Nightow's manga impossible to follow and the action choreography loses me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

tsob posted:

Are you thinking of the truck driver guys trying to beat up Nej to get his spores? I was talking about the body snatching demons putting people in cellophane and then transporting them under an illusion only Leo could spot because of his eyes. Those guys were definitely demons of some kind.

Also, now I've watched another episode that's just left me confused. The episode where Zapp manipulates Klaus in to bare knuckle fighting culminates in Klaus destroying the club's owners head, only for a blood breed to pop out as Leo starts trying to shout warnings about what he is and the vampire throws Klaus across the ring like it was nothing and seems like he's about to try and take Klaus' body for his own. And then it immediately cuts to Zapp, Klaus and Leo outside the club. If it was a book I'd be checking for missing pages, but this is an episode on Crunchyroll so I just have to assume that's the way the episode is meant to be and I've no idea what just happened. I guess this is appropriate, since I find Nightow's manga impossible to follow and the action choreography loses me.

The Blood Breed just wanted a good fight, and he got it. Flicking Klaus into the net was just to show the viewer that he was pretty much loving around with just the venue-owner's corpse.

One minor bit with that episode too; When Zapp's looking pretty pleased about Klaus starting to enjoy himself, that's actually not how its meant to go. Zapp's more than a little worried in the manga version, and you find out exactly why in a later story that I'm really hoping gets adapted this season.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 26, 2017

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Blood Breed just wanted a good fight, and he got it. Flicking Klaus into the net was just to show the viewer that he was pretty much loving around with just the venue-owner's corpse.

One minor bit with that episode too; When Zapp's looking pretty pleased about Klaus starting to enjoy himself, that's actually not how its meant to go. Zapp's more than a little worried in the manga version, and you find out exactly why in a later story that I'm really hoping gets adapted this season.

Let's say they cover everything in the Manga how many episodes would that take?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Electric Phantasm posted:

Let's say they cover everything in the Manga how many episodes would that take?

If you mean sequentially, that's anyone's guess. Day-In, Day-Out's from volume three, and we've had stuff as late as volume seven in the first season. Someone already mentioned that the hospital story is from volume nine.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you mean sequentially, that's anyone's guess. Day-In, Day-Out's from volume three, and we've had stuff as late as volume seven in the first season. Someone already mentioned that the hospital story is from volume nine.

The first part of episode 1 is from the ongoing sequel in a different magazine.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Chain's episode was great.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Werewolf squad is great.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Chain goes 2/2 in the good episode department.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I also love that Werewolf squad has super poo poo aim. I just realized the people shooting guns in the ending are Werewolf squad.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I always loved the ending to this one. The last thing anyone wants is their crush to visit their messy apartment :allears:.

The next one is going to amazing to see animated, because most of it is an absolutely insane chase scene.

Aug 24, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I always loved the ending to this one. The last thing anyone wants is their crush to visit their messy apartment :allears:.

oh is that what happened

i figured she vanished into non-existence and there's some special method to bring them back and... threatening to clean up her apartment was how they did that?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

where the red fern gropes posted:

oh is that what happened

i figured she vanished into non-existence and there's some special method to bring them back and... threatening to clean up her apartment was how they did that?

The point is it's the one absolute thing that would bring them back to existence (which is why the vase changes and Steven has a moment of confusion on the doorstep before being coaxed into reading the thing in his hand. Chain didn't exist). For the drunk girl it might be as simple as a shot on the bar waiting for her. For another it could be coming home to see her son (this is just me spitballing rather than something spelled out anywhere).

For Chain it was the abject fear of Steven A. Starphase coming over to see her absolute pit of an apartment and the way she lives.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 29, 2017

Aug 24, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

For Chain it was the abject fear of Steven A. Starphase coming over to see her absolute pit of an apartment and the way she lives.

ahahaha drat i wonder how much other amazing stuff i've missed now

also wondering if leonardo can see chain when she's invisible. guessing no

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ahahaha drat i wonder how much other amazing stuff i've missed now

also wondering if leonardo can see chain when she's invisible. guessing no

Actually he probably can. The whole premise of the Eyes of the Gods is they see everything. He'd have to actively look for Chain, but he'd probably see her clear as day.

Aug 24, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Actually he probably can. The whole premise of the Eyes of the Gods is they see everything. He'd have to actively look for Chain, but he'd probably see her clear as day.

what made his eye(s) crack? and then get fixed? also how does he see if he has brock's eyes from pokemon all the time?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

what made his eye(s) crack? and then get fixed? also how does he see if he has brock's eyes from pokemon all the time?

Looking at too many Blood Breeds cracked the eyes. They just healed over time.

How he sees is very simple. His eyes can see everything so he just sees through his eyelids when he wants to.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MonsterEnvy posted:

Looking at too many Blood Breeds cracked the eyes. They just healed over time.

How he sees is very simple. His eyes can see everything so he just sees through his eyelids when he wants to.

Also just using them for more than quick glances makes them literally overheat in his eyesockets.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Blood Breeds seem just a smidge overpowered if the Eyes of the Gods can only gaze at them for a quick instant. They don't appear to have any natural counters that I can remember.

Delicious sandwich
Nov 6, 2011
The bit where Chain is talking to mushroom dude takes place by Bethesda Fountain, but some of the shots show Chain in City Hall Park, which is five miles away. :eng99:

Aside from that disrespect for geography it was a good episode. Chain's token was wonderful.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Delicious sandwich posted:

The bit where Chain is talking to mushroom dude takes place by Bethesda Fountain, but some of the shots show Chain in City Hall Park, which is five miles away. :eng99:

did you see how far chain can jump

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Chain is stated as being able to screw with reality.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

Blood Breeds seem just a smidge overpowered if the Eyes of the Gods can only gaze at them for a quick instant. They don't appear to have any natural counters that I can remember.

Yeah don't gently caress with em unless you absolutely have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's not that the eyes of god can't handle blood breeds, it's that Leonardo's squishy human brain can't really handle either the eyes or the blood breeds

• Locked thread