Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

yo im down for some SMAX play-by-email.

Luigi Thirty posted:

dibs on zakharov :getin:

dang beaten. dibs on chairman yang of the hive, looking forward to extreme utilitarian efficiency and oppressing the hell outta some drones

i'll prolly end up getting owned by gaians, they can be wicked dangerous late game if you go all-in on mind worms

Schadenboner posted:

Every time I see this thread I feel bad about just how awful Civilization Beyond Earth ended up being.

:(

all i wanted was SMAC but in the civ 5 engine :(

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Oct 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

I am also in if there's more room (is there even an upper limit?)

question: Can I run it on A Mac or is this windows land only?

the version on gog purportedly supports macos: https://www.gog.com/game/sid_meiers_alpha_centauri

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

im coming for you improbable lobster. the only good drone is an oppressed nerve staple drone!!!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

also the relative ease of movement across ocean tiles allows you to scout fast and grab a LOT of unity pods. even on maps with heaps of fungal bloom you can scout way faster.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Cazlab posted:

oh wait we were high. nevermind.

:lol: nice.

SMAC is civ in space but you operate like a space government (soceng, governors, automate, global council). also there are aliens

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

best to set up a conference call to hash out the optimal branching strategy imo

not sure if you're joking but im in west aus UTC+8 which puts me at around 12 hours time diff to most yosposters in the US (except for dimey and i guess echi is closer). this is partly why pbem is more appealing to me than playing live and stuff.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

as chairman yang of the 36th chamber im already planning on naming my cities after members and themes of the wu-tang clan

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Roosevelt posted:

im rooting for this guy to bring the ruckus and defeat all of u

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

doing hit-and-run probe teams with believers can be hilarious. also it's already been mentioned but gaians all-in on psy with mind worms will just decimate anyone who isn't prepared for it (remember to mix psy-resistant units into your army!)

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

yessss lets do this!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i'm getting ERROR READING FILE when trying to open it :(

already sent an e-mail back to you Luigi30

UPDATE: lol i'm an idiot and didn't notice that when you launch SMAC via GOG Galaxy it only launches the base game and not the expansion. launching terranx.exe manually sorted it!

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 11, 2017

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

just played my first turn however i must have hosed something up as it gave me a message about having already played the file and tampering. i swear i only tried to play it.

anyway, save has been sent onto improbablelobster!

edit: jesus i am really an idiot, just re-read glorgnole's e-mail about the save tampering thing so all good.

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Nov 11, 2017

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Glorgnole posted:

yeah there's still room for like 4 more people on the nominal b-team so make a post if you want to play. i was going to try to get the first game through a handful of turns to work out the kinks before i piled on another completely separate game.

extremely looking forward to The Second Turn though

:same:

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

oh poo poo i forgot to rename my first base to "The 36th Chamber" as per my autocratic wu-tang philosophy. to-do on turn 2

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Glorgnole posted:

would anyone like to swap in for the believers? how about one of the B-team peeps? heck, i'll do it if no one else wants to

pro: you get to play the game way sooner
con(?): you have/get to play as miriam

maybe ask in #yospos? i don't want this to die :(

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i'm making a bee-line towards one unity pod in range, will report back next year

edit: lol my faction-bonus colony pod is going to be eaten by worms i guarantee it

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

yeah get hype for turn two

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

so just outta interest, who's got the save at the moment? are we cusping on turn two yet?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

for this years yosmas i would love to play turn two

:same:

honestly even before Glorgnole went to the effort of creating a thread and planning poo poo i was terrified of being the feckless idiot who would ruin the flow of a game due to my generally hosed up life but lol, even i'm logged-on enuff to do more than one turn a week.

perhaps im not as feckless as i previously thought :)

edit: bless you again Glorgnole for your dedication to the cause

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Dec 11, 2017

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

the only person who would have an excuse to play so slowly might be smoka as i suspect the probes now extend to they internet connection proper (FCC approved) guess that's the price you pay for a fast and hard anime lifestyle

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i'll :toxx: myself now for turn within 72 hours.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

no wait whattt!

but i wish it was my turn

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

everyone else is not rubbish and does their turn quick smart?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

I sent my save on to the Hive.

just got it, will play my turn tonight and send it on!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Glorgnole posted:

better post about it before your toxx kicks in!!

i sent the save to improbablelobster last night. dont fire me out of a cannon yet

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

on xmas day i hope to be opening presents and the two unity pods near my HQ (come on unity rover and artifact)

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

turn 3 hype, feels like we're in a good rhythm now

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

yeah i found its easier just to launch terranx.exe directly

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

truly it's a sisyphean task

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Foo Diddley posted:

well i was thinking you'd post them later, when they weren't strategically important anymore

lol nah, turn 3 postahhh

https://twitter.com/GarbageDotNet/status/943436619813490690

the hive does not endorse the exuberance of unity pods but does acknowledge their utility

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

as previously promised in the thread i'm going to name all my bases after themes/members of the wu-tang clan. however i will never reveal research the wu-tang secret project.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

edit: nvm

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

sooooo, where we at?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

game slow, so what

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

received, played and sent on to drones. my colony pod unearthed mindworms from a unity pod, here's hoping it doesn't get murdered lmao

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i probably should have posted here, I DM'd cazlab on twitter on the 20th, cazlab is out with pinkeye and are aware that glorg will be taking over their turn. not sure if cazlab will be back soon though.

oh and as Chairman Yang of the Hive I fully endorse equipping all units with nerve gas, including non-combat units like formers, supply crawlers and especially colony pods

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

gently caress.

also received the save, will play my turn when i get home from work tonight

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

turn played and sent onto drones. my colony pod took a beating from those mind worms it unearthed from that unity pod but it managed to win. also found an artifact bitchessss

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i just played year 2105 so turn five?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

what's the albedo setting for our game? can we expect a constant onslaught of worms/locusts/that ocean one i cant remember (something deep?) in late game?

actually nvm id rather be surprised