Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

you've all made me hunt down and install smac again

thanks thread :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Boiled Water posted:

it's the scifi civ game

well your other options are beyond earth, starships or beyond the sword so

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

beyond earth was ok i guess, felt really sterile compared to smac

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

they were saying they didn't want to do a smac remake and told people as much, which, fair enough. but it still came really short of what most people expected, even without the inevitable comparisons to smac

well yes but it could have some sort of story at the very least

it'd be reasonable to expect them to say "we're not making a smac remake" and to interpret that as "we're not using the same plot as smac" not "we're making civ with a palette swap, none of the interesting features from expansions and a weird tech grid"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

civ 4 needs its expansions to be truly good. smac was fantastic out of the box and the expansion mainly filled in some gaps (more stuff for sea bases) and added a different play style (progenitors)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

when dnd tried this quite a while ago they did the first 50 turns in a marathon with everyone online at once and in irc or something. those that couldn’t make it had someone else take their turns. seems like that might be a really good idea here?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

take the unity pod challenge

grats on your unity chopper outside of of the range of your bases

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

uh i guess i could play the pirates but i've never played multiplayer before

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

thebigcow posted:

Played the poo poo out of this when it came out. Bought it again and I don't remember what's good. I put just about everything on auto and it went as well as you can expect.

rush industrial automation, put crawlers on every tile on your continent

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

raminasi posted:

you can put them on needlejets

design workshop lets you do all sorts of dumb poo poo that ranges from "excellent emergent gameplay" to "lol they didn't do any qa"

i've never tried it but you can fly away for 30 tiles over 2 turns or whatever and drop a base?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

and one of the micro optimizations you can do is to exceed the hurry cost of the current project by one row of minerals so the next thing can be hurried without the first row hurry penalty

or something along those lines

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

if someone sends out “IplaythisinawindowsME_vm” instead of 98se they should eat at least a sixer

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Just build the virtual world, problem solved.

maybe it'll happen before november 2019!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Luigi Thirty posted:

Can’t wait until I can spend 50 turns (3 years irl) building The Virtual World

what do I care for your suffering?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

evilweasel posted:

reminder: there are no penalties for nerve gassing people during a comms blackout

nerve gas! nerve gas! nerve gas!

Aren't there no penalties for nerve gassing people in MP anyway?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Glorgnole posted:

in any case such an unprovoked action would be contrary to Gaian pacifist ideals

in the game’s canon the Gaians beat the absolute poo poo out of the Spartans :thunk:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Pile Of Garbage posted:

"We are one with Planet and abhor violence in all forms. Also it wasn't us, the worms did it!"

- Lady Deirdre, Gaia's Children

reminder: releasing mind worms at the edge of your neighbor’s territory isn’t an act of war!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Look you may not like it but this is what peak performance looks like

I agree it is miserable, and not even actually optimal in SMAC, but it is very funny to me that you could do it

I mean it seems reasonable for the hive…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

this seems relevant to this thread’s interests
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEfk5PjPM6Y