Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Boiled Water posted:

i'm trying to wrangle how this could somehow be controlled with git but i'm coming up short.

emails are the ultimate control

Couldn't you just have a save game file with a fixed name that each player continuously updates on their turn? You can manage who's turn it is in the change descriptions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

I'm probably going to be the first to die because it's super hard being water only when everyone else has continents

Get a land base, and build nothing but boreholes around it, drown the world in eco-damage

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Pirates should be trying to steal some sweet jungle real estate.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Lol at the Believers being friends with everybody, gotta be the first time I've seen that

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Just noticed the monument name, you have a gift dude

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Glorgnole posted:

i think its strength is tied to the number of tiles of fungus surrounding it.

It is indeed

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I hope the Spartans switch that project for a better one

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I know the Gains have Weather Paradigm, no clue on the others.

Planetary Transit System is one the Spartans visibly have the tech for; it's more expensive but far better. Virtual World is the same. Even Command Nexus would be better, especially for Sparta.

E: I should learn to read, Glorgnole said right there only two have been built, so WP for the Gaians, HGP for the University. Virtual World, Command Nexus and PTS are still in play then; Empath Guild too, though it seems less likely Sparta would have the tech for that.

E2: oh poo poo they're playing SMAX, so Planetary Energy Grid. Easily in the top 5 of projects.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Jul 16, 2019

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, the cuckoo bananas tier projects, in approximate tech order, are:

• Weather Paradigm
  • Human Genome
  • Virtual World
  • Planetary Energy Grid (SMAX)
  • Planetary Transit System
  • Empath Guild
  • Hunter Seeker Algorithm
  • Cloudbase Academy (SMAX)

Then the two morale projects, Command Nexus and Cyborg Factory, which are both great, but not as good as the above I feel. Cloning Vats is also pretty nuts, but comes quite late.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

There's +2 Growth from Eudaimonic too, but the Future Society social choices come so late it almost doesn't matter.

Democratic+Planned+Creche is definitely the normal way of doing it. Golden Ages for Morgan, who can't use Planned.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Wait who has a copter? Or is that just the Unity scout chopper but with some graphical effect (Drone colors)?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah that's what I figured, but it would have been crazy if someone had got there somehow. What really threw me is that it looks like it has Plasteel armor on it

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

There's a reason the guy in that sim is only shown from the waist up

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

It's 20 turns I think. Maybe 10 for the first one.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Beyond the diplomatic penalties I think the environmental penalties still apply. Nerve gas pisses of Planet something fierce, and it counts against your clean mineral limit.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

quote:

fruit tasting with zakharov (ASMR) (1080p).SAV
i too am gaian.sav
third base memorial.sav
colin mochrie.SAV
earthzakharov.SAV
santiagoaway.sav
santiagoodbye.sav
santiagowned.sav

some gold in here

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Love the updates Glorg, I was surprised nobody was going to contest Sparta's move into the jungle (and that Sparta didn't churn out more bases there to be honest).

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Seriously I am loving spectating this, and thank you glorgnole for keeping the thread up to date.

That said y'all gonna need to start teaming up on glorg pretty quick here or he gonna pop boom to overwhelming victory

:lol:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Can you use the bombard action to attack IoDs? If memory serves you can; they can attack you next turn so it means ceding the 3-2 advantage, but psi units generally fare very poorly against weapon attacks. Good if you're going in with a morale deficit.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Oh poo poo yeah you're right. Regular ships are for sure that way (though it's not a direct attack, it plays by the artillery rules, so weapon vs. weapon rather than weapon vs. armor), but I think for Psi it does initiate a normal psi battles.

I'm thinking of land battles, where nearly any artillery just eviscerates mind worms.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

raminasi posted:

it’s like normal artillery combat (gun v gun) but for only one round. so it’s like a hybrid of bombardment and combat.

even weirder, if you use a sea unit to bombard a land tile, and your ship is within range of a different, hostile, land-based artillery unit, the land-based artillery unit will just kill your ship. (or maybe it’s the other way around, i don’t have an installation to test against handy.)

It doesn't kill your ship, it initiates one of those one round gun duels (though the land based Arty gets +25%).

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I'm 90% sure that's how land vs land arty duels go

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Condensers do not count as farms, but they do provide +1 nutrients to the square they are in, on top of the rainfall changes. Farms, and later soil enrichers can also be built on the square, for a total of +3 nutrients.

Building a farm under a condenser will stop the forest from growing under it.

e: Another fun terraforming tip: constructing a base on top of a sensor array leaves the sensor array in place. This array cannot be destroyed without destroying the base, leaving a permanent +25% defense bonus in the area.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 21:42 on May 25, 2020

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, eco-damage in particular is the frustrating one; it's a major game mechanic, but the datalinks entry only describes about half the mechanic, and the rest of it is described nowhere.

Vel's SMAX Guide is really one hell of an accomplishment.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Is self-destructing units actually powerful somehow? I knew the option was there but it never seemed useful. Though I guess it would stand to reason that choppering in a fusion reactor and letting it cook off might do some damage. Let me guess, the damage applies to all adjacent units? :v:

Glorgnole posted:

i hadn't seen that particular guide before, thank you for sharing! lots of weird stuff i didn't know about on my initial glance through, like how causing fungal blooms through excess mineral production actually increases the limit of "clean" minerals you can produce, meaning that it's actually good to cause a few blooms intentionally.
Yeah that is the most important undocumented behavior in the game (maybe second behind pop booming, which the game documentation does mention, but of course does not discuss the implications). You want to make sure you have one before you ever build a tree farm, hybrid forest or temple of planet going.

Otherwise you wind up in the late game with quantum converters or whatever they're called, which the datalinks say do not cause eco-damage, but it sure as hell counts against your clean mineral limit!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i feel like i could be doing a bit more to min-max my terraforming instead of just "set former to autoimprove base"

Yea the default terraforming AI is not great, it's one of the reasons the AI can't really compete in the late game. There's a couple different way to optimize it (Vel's guide goes over it, with separate sections for the early and middle game), but the short answer is ensure you have enough nutrients for growth, plant forests early and often, and lean into the bonus resources you find.

Nutrients are key for obvious reasons, while forests do a reasonable job of producing minerals and energy, particularly before the 2/tile resource caps come off in the mid-game. Tile bonuses are particularly important because they bypass that limit; you can get 7 minerals from a rocky tile with a mine and a road, and 7 (or 8?) nutrients from a rainy tile with a nutrient bonus, farm and condenser (the condenser will make it rainy most times). And because those tiles produce a lot of one resource and few of anything else, they are excellent candidates for collection with Supply Crawlers.

Once you get to Tree Farms, every forest square will produce 2 nutrients as a base (3 with Hybrid Forest), which makes forests self sustaining. The AI doesn't know this, and particularly ignores forests. Forests also spread themselves which is a nice bonus.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah honestly I think you'd have to start with a designed map and fixed starts, the map generation in this game is abysmal. I'll volunteer to grind away until I get something balanced-ish if there's enough interest for a second game.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Such a shame there are no planet busters on the board yet...

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Post and link that action?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

As much as I love this game I don't think I've ever watched someone play it

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I'm still in love with the thread title

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Depending on how much terraformer effort you want to sink into it, the pro move is to raise a square and then drop it again.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Helianthus Annuus posted:

thanks for running the game glorg

im not playing, but its been fun to watch

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

re formers what's your view on automating them? tbh that's what I usually do with them but is it worth manually tasking them and doing analysis on the terrain around a base? i've been aiming for 1-2 land and 0-1 sea formers per-base while putting them all on auto home base, then later setting some on full-auto after they'd maxed the home base. seems to have worked well but i may be slightly mineral shy now i think on it.

Don't do it, the AI is real bad at Terraforming. Glorg's advice is on the money.

Also if anyone wants to read way way way too much about playing optimally (including Terraforming strategies), go track down Vel's SMACX guide.

Pile Of Garbage posted:

i hate it when i misclick a unit and cancel what it's doing, thus wasting its progress towards whatever it was doing (augh)

I'm reasonably confident that if you re-assign them without missing a turn it will preserve the progress. But I could be wrong.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I'm not even playing this game but who's got that save?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

SmokaDustbowl posted:

we all pretty much won because I don't think anyone has done anything anything super violent

In a certain sense, every one is winning. In another, more accurate sense, Glorgnole is winning.

Seriously though the weird island alliance between the Hive and the Free Drones of all people is quite the sight.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Pewdiepie posted:

They released a new one of these it's called Civilization beyond earth and it's actually pretty epic!

everything about this post upsets me

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

If memory serves Glorgnole (on top of a very comfy start position) has been doing a bit of pop booming here and there. Not a ton of it, but if anybody wants to catch up, that's the move!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Roosevelt posted:

happy fourth birthday little thread

:nice:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Just lol if you aren't building a base on every other tile