Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cazlab
Oct 25, 2003

i wanna be the space pirates or cyber nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cazlab
Oct 25, 2003

confirming for pirates pending appropriate (pirated) sourcing of client.
shall double confirm in the next 48.

Cazlab
Oct 25, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the gaians are op as gently caress

space fungus worm army from hell

Cazlab
Oct 25, 2003

final confirming in.
i nabbed the GOG version and it runs fine.
spent the afternoon exploring the high seas and pissing off space cultists.

Cazlab
Oct 25, 2003

i was trying to explain this game to my ex a couple of months ago and was probably rambling like a crazy person.
we have a running civ 5 game, but of 4x games it and the x-box civ are the only one's she's played.

edit:
i was def rambling like a crazy person because i was describing in detail the difference in mechanics of every sid meier game for some loving reason.
oh wait we were high. nevermind.

Cazlab fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 25, 2017

Cazlab
Oct 25, 2003

Glorgnole posted:

some game setup stuff

this'll be at Transcend difficulty. the lower difficulties have more forgiving drone penalties and omit things like prototyping costs and retooling penalties, but with all human players i don't think it'll make a big difference.

i've generally felt like the Standard size map is too small and the Huge size map is too big, so we'll use the merely Large map.

i was planning on picking the middle-of-the-road options for ocean coverage, erosive forces, rainfall, etc and taking a look to make sure no one was getting dicked over by starting on a tiny island or in the middle of a desert, but the game's pretty aggressive about making sure you can't load password-protected multiplayer games in the scenario editor. best i can probably do is generate and tweak a map file beforehand and then start the game from that.

there's an accelerated start option (Time Warp) that starts the game at turn 60 and gives everyone 4 bases with facilities and units. i was worried about everyone getting bogged down in the first 30 turns where you're just moving a couple units, but i tried it out in a test game and it doesn't do a remotely good job of balancing the initial setups so it would probably be lame in practice. does anyone have any thoughts on this?

this sounds pretty good.
i'm a soft "for" re: time warp. accelerated start has helped some of my civ 5 play-by-mail games go better.
also is there a tool like GMR for us to use?

Cazlab
Oct 25, 2003

cheese-cube posted:

not sure if you're joking but im in west aus UTC+8 which puts me at around 12 hours time diff to most yosposters in the US (except for dimey and i guess echi is closer). this is partly why pbem is more appealing to me than playing live and stuff.

from my observation yosposters are pretty well distributed across the globe.
p. sure that was a joke, but yeah, let's get this poo poo on, i wanna terrabomb some drones and poo poo.

Cazlab
Oct 25, 2003

email sent

Cazlab
Oct 25, 2003

alright, first turn taken and passed off.
hope i didn't screw it up.
yell at me if i did.

(it's funny GMR was being lovely a few weeks ago and i was like "i should make a game agnostic PBEM facilitator," it doesn't seem that bad passing it around manually, though.)

yo hoho and a bottle of spacerum!

Cazlab
Oct 25, 2003

Glorgnole posted:

just allow only one player at a time to commit the save, and have a big button that says "click when you're absolutely done with your turn" that advances commit privileges to the next player. totally simple to implement and nothing at all could ever go wrong!

i was thinking using a blockchain.

Cazlab
Oct 25, 2003

Cazlab
Oct 25, 2003

sorry sorry, taking now.

Cazlab
Oct 25, 2003

anthonypants posted:

is it your turn or not

whose turn is it

i know i sent the save to cazlab and they said they'd do their turn on wednesday of last week

is it still cazlab's turn or is it sagebrush's turn

maybe cc'ing our savefiles to glorgnole on each move would be a good idea

yeah i sent it along.
started building a transport because lol scouts can't swim the one square to the shore.
honestly the github idea someone proposed early on was pretty decent, actually.

Cazlab
Oct 25, 2003

just sent next turn.
ya'll won't believe how real poo poo will get when my scouts can get out of this whack rear end floating colony.

Cazlab
Oct 25, 2003

Glorgnole posted:

i think the biggest limitations on the rate of play are that everyone's 1) an adult 2) with a job 3) all over the world. the practical maximum is probably 1 turn per 2 days if everyone's super committed, because i wasn't thinking about time zones when assigning the turn order.

one thing to do could be to find an hour or two when everyone can be online and crank through a bunch of turns all at once. might not be possible given peoples' working schedules.

another thing would be you all tell me in detail what you want to have happen w/ your faction up to turn 20 or whatever and then I personally play through everyone's turns up to that point to get us to a more interesting point in the game.

lol.
i wish i had a job.

that's not a bad idea though, since you don't have a stake in the game.
wouldn't be opposed to it.

Cazlab
Oct 25, 2003

poo poo. it was me. taking now.

Cazlab
Oct 25, 2003

bwah!
i'm not dead. super sorry guys.
totally expecting to see a shaming av when i post this.
first was sick then just in a funk and not browsing the forums at all and generally avoiding sitting at computers.
i am back now, but if you've given my turns over to someone else that's cool too.
again, sorry.

Cazlab
Oct 25, 2003

got my eye on my gmails, sea mails be... dead males? meaning me?
sure whatever, anyway yeah back on this poo poo.

Cazlab fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 6, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cazlab
Oct 25, 2003

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

take the unity pod challenge