Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blarfk
Dec 26, 2003

Wait so what would happen if the offense fumbled the ball, it bounced into the endzone, and an offensive player illegally batted the ball out of bounds (in, say, a dumb attempt to keep the defense from landing on it for a touchback).

Would it be a touchback for the opposing team, or would the illegal bat just be a penalty and replay of the down with the offense maintaining possession?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Blarfk posted:

Wait so what would happen if the offense fumbled the ball, it bounced into the endzone, and an offensive player illegally batted the ball out of bounds (in, say, a dumb attempt to keep the defense from landing on it for a touchback).

Would it be a touchback for the opposing team, or would the illegal bat just be a penalty and replay of the down with the offense maintaining possession?

If it works like most penalties the worst case scenario applies, so I'd imagine that would be a touchback and change of possession. But I can't recall ever actually seeing this called so who knows?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Just ban fumbling forward. The best case for the offense is getting the ball at point of fumble. They are going to review it anyway.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
All this fumbling talk made me wiki origins of football and in england they'd play a game a couple times a year with one town's boys vs another town (we're talking hundreds of people) and they'd soak the ball in grease to make it more unpredictable, and the goalposts would be the church balcony in each town. It could take a whole day to play and many bones and windows were broken. :black101:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

got any sevens posted:

All this fumbling talk made me wiki origins of football and in england they'd play a game a couple times a year with one town's boys vs another town (we're talking hundreds of people) and they'd soak the ball in grease to make it more unpredictable, and the goalposts would be the church balcony in each town. It could take a whole day to play and many bones and windows were broken. :black101:

Reminds me of Calcio Fiorentino

quote:

Matches last 50 minutes and are played on a field covered in sand, twice as long as it is wide (approximately 80x40 meters). A white line divides the field into two identical squares, and a goal net runs the width of each end.

Each team has 27 players and no substitutions are allowed for injured or expelled players. The teams are made up of four Datori indietro (goalkeepers), 3 Datori innanzi (fullbacks), 5 Sconciatori (halfbacks), 15 Innanzi o Corridori (forwards). The Captain and Standard Bearer's tent sits at the center of the goal net. They do not actively participate in the game, but can organize their teams and occasionally act as referees, mainly to calm down their players or to stop fights.

The referee and the six linesmen officiate the match in collaboration with the Judge Commissioner, who remains off the field. The referee, above everyone else, is the Master of the Field, and is responsible for making sure the game runs smoothly, stepping into the field only to maintain discipline and reestablish order when fights occur.

A small cannon shot announces the beginning of the event. The game starts when the Pallaio throws and kicks the ball toward the center line, then at the first whistle as the ball first rests on field, 15 forwards or Corridori begin fighting in a wild mixed martial arts match- punching, kicking, tripping, hacking, tackling, and wrestling with each other in an effort designed to tire opponents' defenses, but which often descends into an all-out brawl. They try to pin and force into submission as many players possible. Once there are enough incapacitated players, the other teammates come and swoop up the ball and head to the goal.

From this moment on, the players try by any means necessary to get the ball into the opponent's' goal, also called caccia. The teams change sides with every caccia or goal scored. It is important to shoot with precision, because every time a player throws or kicks the ball above the net, the opposing team is awarded with a half caccia. The game ends after 50 minutes and the team which scored the most cacce wins.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

got any sevens posted:

pretend I posted the pyramid scene from Dragon Lord here, because Youtube has it blocked from my country (which is the USA but not like anyone recognizes that).

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Blarfk posted:

Wouldn’t it just result in a safety? It sounds a lot like a scenario that happened a few years ago where Rodgers fumbled into his own end zone and someone else from his team jumped on it which resulted in a safety.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
A part of me feels like if you gently caress up so bad you cough up the rock at the goal line into the end zone your binch rear end shouldn't just get it at the one

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Its Rinaldo posted:

A part of me feels like if you gently caress up so bad you cough up the rock at the goal line into the end zone your binch rear end shouldn't just get it at the one

Hrm, weird, because all of me feels like if you cause a fumble and gently caress up so bad you can’t get possession in the field of play you shouldn’t be awarded with the ball on the 20 yard line.

Blarfk
Dec 26, 2003

HatfulOfHollow posted:

Wouldn’t it just result in a safety? It sounds a lot like a scenario that happened a few years ago where Rodgers fumbled into his own end zone and someone else from his team jumped on it which resulted in a safety.

The opposing end zone, sorry I didn't make that clear.

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
Honestly giving the possessing team the ball at the one, or even kicking it back out to the opponent's 20, seems like it unfairly benefits the offense. I'm far from the most "that's the way we've always done it" person but the rule has never stood out to me as egregiously dumb or unfair.

Comedy option: offense restarts the drive at their own 20 :getin:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/benfennell_nfl/status/920093878476210176

Lol

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Manoueverable posted:

Honestly giving the possessing team the ball at the one, or even kicking it back out to the opponent's 20, seems like it unfairly benefits the offense. I'm far from the most "that's the way we've always done it" person but the rule has never stood out to me as egregiously dumb or unfair.

As a Lions fan, gently caress you

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

The Glumslinger posted:

Reminds me of Calcio Fiorentino

I don't get it. The captains and refs are there to prevent fights, but the sport is essentially one big fight? Seems like it would be fun to watch though.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I guess they want technical fights, not like eye gouging and biting

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?
:allears:

apparently the kid has cancer

"Pierre-Paul dedicated his post-sack celebration to 7-year-old super fan Hayden, who met and taught his moves Friday through the Garden of Dreams Foundation.
“You know what? If I get a sack, which I am gonna get a sack, I’m gonna do your dance,” Pierre-Paul said.
Hayden joined Pierre-Paul at the Giants facility late last week, where he and the 6-foot-5 veteran bonded at practice. During the visit, Pierre-Paul gifted his biggest supporter with his gloves, specialized to fit his fingers following a July 2015 fireworks accident. Hayden revealed he lost toes amid his cancer battle.
“Got three for my boy Hayden tonight and I did his dance, keep fighting buddy. #90PowerCircle,” Pierre-Paul wrote on Instagram."

https://i.imgur.com/ztYQB6c.gifv

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Who was the Ravens WR that was TKO'd when trying to make a catch but an interception happened? Did he die?

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I already apologized to Lions fans earlier today precisely for this topic but I totally understand

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Hrm, weird, because all of me feels like if you cause a fumble and gently caress up so bad you can’t get possession in the field of play you shouldn’t be awarded with the ball on the 20 yard line.

Defense's job is to stop the offense from getting in the end zone and they did it. Offense job is to get into the end one and they failed. Seems like one team hosed up badly and shouldn't be rewarded with another bite at the apple

Acebuckeye13 posted:

My boy Golden :allears:

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Chromatic posted:

:allears:

apparently the kid has cancer

"Pierre-Paul dedicated his post-sack celebration to 7-year-old super fan Hayden, who met and taught his moves Friday through the Garden of Dreams Foundation.
“You know what? If I get a sack, which I am gonna get a sack, I’m gonna do your dance,” Pierre-Paul said.
Hayden joined Pierre-Paul at the Giants facility late last week, where he and the 6-foot-5 veteran bonded at practice. During the visit, Pierre-Paul gifted his biggest supporter with his gloves, specialized to fit his fingers following a July 2015 fireworks accident. Hayden revealed he lost toes amid his cancer battle.
“Got three for my boy Hayden tonight and I did his dance, keep fighting buddy. #90PowerCircle,” Pierre-Paul wrote on Instagram."

https://i.imgur.com/ztYQB6c.gifv

:gbsmith:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Manoueverable posted:

So when the offense fumbles out of bounds in any other part of the field the defense should also get possession?

Its Rinaldo posted:

Defense's job is to stop the offense from getting in the end zone and they did it. Offense job is to get into the end one and they failed. Seems like one team hosed up badly and shouldn't be rewarded with another bite at the apple

The entire game of football is based on the idea that the offense get multiple bites at the apple. The defense’s reward is that they prevented a score on that play. Perhaps if they shouldn’t have let the offense get all the way down there if they didn’t want them to get more tries.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
HOT TAKE ALERT!

I think if a team challenges a call, the timeout should only be taken away if the call on the field is confirmed. Not stands.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The Colts: they're bad

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
The old streak is dead long live the new streak

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Colts have gone from Suck for Luck to Suck with Chuck

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

swickles posted:

HOT TAKE ALERT!

I think if a team challenges a call, the timeout should only be taken away if the call on the field is confirmed. Not stands.

the ruling in the rules is confirmed. You have lost one idea point and may only discuss one more idea

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Pagano should be loving fired before he gets to the podium. 21 4th quarter points jesus christ end this nightmare now!!

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.
How do Colts fans watch poo poo like that? I find it deeply satisfying because gently caress the Colts, but that kind of performance has to be infuriating to watch. That defense looked like it gave up.

Yug
Aug 6, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

b0ng posted:

How do Colts fans watch poo poo like that? I find it deeply satisfying because gently caress the Colts, but that kind of performance has to be infuriating to watch. That defense looked like it gave up.

Cancer should have won.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

b0ng posted:

They didn't give up, they got gassed. It happens every week because every week the offense completely stalls in the second half and the defense (which actually played pretty well tonight) just can't sustain a high level of play for that much time.

As much as Pagano deserves every ounce of blame for every loss because gently caress him, the Colts receivers (and one particularly guilty TE) had some real bad drops tonight, and there were a couple of killer penalties. Those go the other way and the Colts likely win the game.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

YOLOsubmarine posted:

So when the offense fumbles out of bounds in any other part of the field the defense should also get possession?
I personally think no, just for the end zone because of the you done hosed up son factor

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The entire game of football is based on the idea that the offense get multiple bites at the apple. The defense’s reward is that they prevented a score on that play. Perhaps if they shouldn’t have let the offense get all the way down there if they didn’t want them to get more tries.

Those poor beleaguered offensives. When will the NFL do something to make it easier on them.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
The Colts, what is a half time adjustment? Whatever first place in AFC South draft order not like any of these teams gonna win a playoff game.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
How'd Jacoby look?

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
WE BEAT THE COLTS HOLY poo poo

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Metapod posted:

WE BEAT THE COLTS HOLY poo poo
not a tall feat

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Eli Wiggum posted:

not a tall feat

First time in like 6 years for them.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
That was a weird week of football.
Thought we'd top it off with Colts win over the Titans but alas....

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

He looks fine. Still learning, made one bad mistake in grounding a ball, but had virtually no help from his receivers or coaches. The Titans started to blitz him nonstop and they didn't call any screens or draws or anything to slow it down, so he got pressured a ton and struggled when that happened.

But he doesn't turn the ball over and makes good throws when he has time and the receivers actually do their jobs.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

Kalli posted:

First time in like 6 years for them.

Baby steps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Eli Wiggum posted:

not a tall feat