Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
op here is my "Yes" list:

1. Enshrine the leading role of the Communist Party of New York in government, economy, and society.

2. Return to the true democratic principles identified in the 1776 constitution of the commonwealth of pennsylvania, including
-a unicameral assembly with annual elections
-a plural executive council with staggered one-year terms
-a prohibition on the legislature enacting a law in the same session in which it is proposed, so that citizens have ample time to consider the probity of the measure
-a group of censors to monitor the conduct of the assembly and council and report on who hosed up

Actual answer: this website seems to have one: http://www.citizensunion.org/state_policy_agenda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Ogmius815 posted:

No actually it's fine.

But we loose out on interesting potential states such as:

the duchy of orange county

the appalachian republic of Real America

the northwestern aryan republic

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
yeah having a unicameral legislature would be...interesting. a while back i was all in favor of having one house; i thought that state legislatures tended to be weak when compared to state executives and that unifying the legislative power into a single house would level the playing field. Now, however, i'm really not sure. after watching a few states more closely, there is an astounding amount of crazy poo poo that passes one house only to die or be voted down by the other house. Like really, really stupid poo poo. So maybe bicameralism does help? But maybe those crazy bills only get through one house in the first place because they figure that the other house will kill it anyway so they might as well scratch Representative Crazy-rear end' back. I want to talk with someone who follows Nebraska politics about it.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
idk if NY already does this but giving authority for drawing state and federal legislative districts to an independent commission would be nice. Maybe do away with districts and have at-large representatives :getin:

Best Bi Geek Squid fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Oct 14, 2017

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
providing for the admission of a new state is just an ordinary act of Congress so only a majority is required. party control has definitely influenced when states have been admitted

Edit: depending on the mechanism for statehood could be joint resolution. Either way, majority of each house should be enough

Best Bi Geek Squid fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
one concern is that bullshit right-wing "taxes = theft + baby murder" and nativist beliefs seem to be on the uptick. might be a kind of dangerous time to open up the constitution and endanger stuff like unions and conservation. idk if NY has a big enough suicide cult for that to be a thing tho

• Locked thread