Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

eonwe posted:

ya but I just enjoyed it myself

wow u admitting speedrunners don't enjoy themselves playing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think they do, but I also think they're being a bit silly by already speedrunning a game that they haven't even gotten a chance to explore yet

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah speed running feels like a thing you do with a game you've played for 500 hours and know inside and out. Doing it with a new game feels almost disrespectful somehow. I know it's not. Chill.

People should obviously play games the way they enjoy them. For some it's buying a strategy guide or using an online walkthrough from moment one as though a modern game like BotW or Odyssey is Milo's Secret loving Castle. I don't get it at all, but whatever, you do you I guess.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
yeah I mean, they can do whatever

I just personally took it slow and enjoyed it

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

can you imagine trying to play the demo itself but can't because someone needs to save time

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I did the demo twice, but I went somewhere else for 5 minutes in between in case someone else was waiting for me to leave

I didn't actually make it to the end of the demo the first time before it reset me because I was just exploring stuff

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

mabels big day posted:

This is going to be the best game ever made.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Mario in outfits!

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Never did I think at 34 I’d still have to decide between going to Halloween parties and playing Mario.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Pug Rodeo posted:

Never did I think at 34 I’d still have to decide between going to Halloween parties and playing Mario.

I don't see why you can't do both. The Switch... perfect for Halloween parties

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Pug Rodeo posted:

Hey old man

Why not do both

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Pug Rodeo posted:

Uh...

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

I will go to a Halloween party with my friend Mario on the Nintendo switch

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
I watched that speed running video and felt very smug that i found more moons than they did. although I still don't have a clear grasp of what designates a 'cutscene of Mario being real psyched' moon and the rest of them. they all looked pretty similar?

Really my only disappointment was that I was under the impression you could possess nearly anything - sorta like Scribblenauts mixed with those Source Engine prop games. It was a little surprising that I made it through the demo and only found two possible possessions (bullet bill and shades statue)

but that's just on me. i'm sure the puzzles will be a lot better if the things you can possess are limited - it allows them to be handcrafted and have a 'right' answer

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

WarpDogs posted:

I watched that speed running video and felt very smug that i found more moons than they did. although I still don't have a clear grasp of what designates a 'cutscene of Mario being real psyched' moon and the rest of them. they all looked pretty similar?

Really my only disappointment was that I was under the impression you could possess nearly anything - sorta like Scribblenauts mixed with those Source Engine prop games. It was a little surprising that I made it through the demo and only found two possible possessions (bullet bill and shades statue)

but that's just on me. i'm sure the puzzles will be a lot better if the things you can possess are limited - it allows them to be handcrafted and have a 'right' answer

I might be completely wrong but I think you can possess just about anything as long as they're not wearing hats or other forms of headwear.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm so excited for this game. It may be overtaking the excitement i had for Breath of the Wild. Problem is I've watched every single bit of footage I can find online and I think I've seen too much :smith:

What are you hopes for kingdoms that haven't been announced yet? I want some kind of vertical castle-style level. Maybe a wooden Japanese castle. Tons of roofs to jump between, secret rooms to find inside the castle, etc.

Make this into a Mario level please nintendo:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I want a Mario Sunshine Kingdom which is just the whole map of Mario Sunshine but merged seamlessly into one area like they're supposed to be.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
From reviews and other information I've found out some almost-definitive things about the game like the number of kingdoms, the rough number of moons, number of Cappy transformations, etc.

Dont look here if you don't want to know too much like I do:

The number of kingdoms is almost definitely 14. From the pause menu in the in-store demos, there seems to be 43 souvenirs to collect for your ship. Each kingdom has 3 souvenirs (a sticker and two statues), 3x14=42, with the 43rd one most likely being a final special souvenir for getting 100% or something.

We've seen or heard the name of 11 Kingdoms so far:
- Eight confirmed: Cap, Cascade, Sand, Metro, Wooded, Luncheon, Snow, Seaside
- We've also seen the gameplay of the purple-water tropical area, which is known as Forgotten Isles based on a souvenir sticker seen in some website footage (but this probably isn't the Kingdom name)
- We've seen the names of two more on Amiibo packaging: Lake and Mushroom

On top of all this, there's also a souvenir sticker for some unknown kingdom, featuring clouds — could be a sky kingdom? And a world map released in Japan shows the outline of Isle Delfino from Super Mario Sunshine, but it's not known if this will be a playable kingdom or if it's just an easter egg.

The Edge Magazine review said that the game has almost as many moons as there are Korok seeds in BotW. People are taking this to be in the 800-900 range. If there's 14 Kingdoms each with an average of 60 moons (the Sand Kingdom is known to have 69!) then that's around 840.

If you want to know how much of the Sand Kingdom hasn't been seen yet, in all the footage so far since E3, there's been around 40 moons found. So that's 29 that nobody has uncovered yet!

The number of Cappy transformations is 52. This is confirmed from the pause menu in the in-store demos. In all the footage so far we've seen about 35 of them.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

The more I read and watch of Super Mario Odyssey the more excited I get.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Vookatos posted:

I still can't believe how good it looks. E3 trailer alone made me think it will be my new favorite video game. And judging by the fact that 5 hours of Zelda last E3 were just tutorial, I'm guessing there's MUCH more to the game that Ninty didn't show us.
Also, I dunno if anybody else made that connection, but with all the Moons you're collecting and the Moon visible on the world map, I'm guessing fake-Earth is not exactly the only planet that we're going to visit.

"We can zoom all the way to the moon of this great wide wacky world"

The song is just a breakdown of the game. There's no way we don't go to the moon. Ducktales music and everything.

Faux Mulder
Aug 1, 2014

just gonna do whatever I want to do, all the time

Straight-up bought a Switch for this game and have booked the day off work to play it, really pumped to see a 2017 take on the Mario 64/Sunshine formula. I would also have accepted Mario Galaxy 3 but this is even better. Never could get into the 3D Land/World aesthetic (or the clone-stamped NSMB games) so it's been a good while since I got my preferred Mario fix. Gonna be up early like a kid on Christmas for release day.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Have you guys considered that Pauline sings about being "Your 1-Up Girl" in one of the only Mario games that eschews the lives system?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Famitsu gave it 39/40

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
I'm taking 6 days of paid vacation at work starting the Monday after this comes out. It's gonna own. (My unused vacation days expire at the end of the year, so please no one cry about someone taking paid time off for a video game.)

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Kurtofan posted:

Famitsu gave it 39/40

Pre-order cancelled

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Kurtofan posted:

Famitsu gave it 39/40

The one point is only because the game is so good it’ll negatively impact the other aspects of your life and ruin all other games.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Previous mario 3d famitsu scores for fun

Super Mario 64: 39/40
Super Mario Sunshine: 38/40
Super Mario Galaxy: 38/40
Super Mario Galaxy 2: 37/40
Super Mario 3D Land: 38/40
Super Mario 3D World: 38/40
Super Mario Odyssey: 39/40

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
gently caress, I don't even have a Switch yet. It's gonna be real hard avoiding the spoilers. Internet will be flooded with photos of all the weird poo poo, no doubt.

nerdbot posted:

"We can zoom all the way to the moon of this great wide wacky world"
:aaaaa:

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
I really hope the people I've seen upset that the game doesn't feature "Already Established Kingdoms" that appeared in previous Mario spin-off titles like Beanbean Kingdom or DK Isle are just taking the piss and don't actually see their absence as a major grievance with the game.

Like yeah it'd have been neat if the Sand Kingdom we've seen had been Sarasaland and I can see the case being made for DK Isle being a place that would have been really fun for Mario to visit but at a certain point the complaints seem all too familiar to ones like fans getting legit upset their favorite spin-off characters don't show up outside of their respective sub-series and playable in games like Mario Kart.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Kurtofan posted:

Previous mario 3d famitsu scores for fun

Super Mario 64: 39/40
Super Mario Sunshine: 38/40
Super Mario Galaxy: 38/40
Super Mario Galaxy 2: 37/40
Super Mario 3D Land: 38/40
Super Mario 3D World: 38/40
Super Mario Odyssey: 39/40

New Super Mario Bros Wii: 40/40

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Viewtiful Jew posted:

I really hope the people I've seen upset that the game doesn't feature "Already Established Kingdoms" that appeared in previous Mario spin-off titles like Beanbean Kingdom or DK Isle are just taking the piss and don't actually see their absence as a major grievance with the game.
If there's something I learned from gamers is that some would rather have a remake of their favorite game than a new one. Wouldn't be surprised if more than half of those are silly Mario lore jokes, but there are people who will be incredibly disappointed that Isle Delfino (or some other place) isn't in the game.
It's loving stupid. I waited for something like this for SO LONG. Mario is a plumber and he saves princess from a turtle-dragon, yet games would usually just have safe and familiar locations. They weren't all just "Some Forest", yet most of them felt like something you've played before. Mario 3D World was a step towards weird with its Japanese palace and an incredibly cheesy final boss, and I can't believe that they actually made a Mario platformer that will feel new!

Vookatos fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Oct 17, 2017

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

Brand new kingdoms also gives them the freedom to be really creative. I love the little Day of the Dead guys in the Sand Kingdom, and the fork chefs in the Culinary Kingdom.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Captain Toad will make or break this game.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'm going to have to get the wife to stop playing stardew so I can play this

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I'd love to return to Delfino Isle in Odyssey, as sunshine is my favorite mario. Not really expecting it to happen tho. I'm sure we'll get a couple of nice references and that'll be that.

totes going to revisit Peach's Castle though! I hope we can go inside.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Norns posted:

I'm going to have to get the wife to stop playing stardew so I can play this

Time for a second switch

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It seems it'd go against the whole theme of the game to just revisit places Mario has already been. There's other cool places out there, you know.

Like BotW's Hyrule.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
Peach's Castle is gonna be Mario's Mother Base, where he can go to visit all the enemies that he "captured".

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

mabels big day posted:

This is going to be the best game ever made.

It already is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Ill buy a new kingdoms dlc where mario visit brinstar and hyrule

• Locked thread