Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'd be fine switching between the 64 and 3D World formulas for each new Mario game. I love both formulas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They could always just retire 2D Mario for a little while. NSMB has well and truly run its course.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'd say that the "diminishing returns" on NSMB are due to the fact the Wii U didn't sell well to begin with. Even then, NSMBU was one of the system's most successful games, and Mario Maker is essentially an installment of the series because it uses NSMB's overall gameplay.

For all the poo poo NSMB2 got it's the fifth best selling 3DS game of all time, so. There's still an audience there.

There's still steam in 2D Mario. It's one of those cases where the prevailing attitude among fans differs highly from that of the public.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'd love for the next Mario game to be Odyssey 2, a "level pack" style full-sized sequel much like Galaxy 2 was.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I never finished Sunshine because I couldn't invert the camera and the first couple levels I spent a long time climbing up and then fell down and didn't want to do it again.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

2D Mario definitely has some legs in it still but it needs new visuals like desperately. I think NSMBU in particular gets a bad rap, but that aesthetic has run its course. I want them to do some new and creative things with 2D Mario. Mario Maker had some of that Mario Paint weirdness on top of everything and it contributed to NSMB feeling much less stale, they need to tap into that more.

I'm really sick of homogenous, safe Mario. Sunshine is honestly bafflingly bad in some places (who the gently caress is responsible for the lilypad level?) but I look fondly on it because it's so unabashedly weird and risky. There was something starting in the late years of the Wii where Mario just started losing its ambition and character and even when the games were good they were missing something. The RPGs are a prime example of that but that's an entirely different can of worms. You can even see it in Mario Party and the sports games, which have become much plainer. I would pinpoint Galaxy 2 as where the series started losing some of its edge to me? (It's still a very good game)

3D World felt like an upturn in that where they started trying to exercise some creativity again. Odyssey is 3D World's physics and creativity but in a Mario 64 collect-a-thon type game. That's good as hell. Odyssey is getting back to what I really liked about Mario back in the Gamecube era, the fact that nothing felt too sacred in terms of tone and consistency if it meant Mario got to do something entertaining and creative.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

TFRazorsaw posted:

I'd say that the "diminishing returns" on NSMB are due to the fact the Wii U didn't sell well to begin with. Even then, NSMBU was one of the system's most successful games, and Mario Maker is essentially an installment of the series because it uses NSMB's overall gameplay.

For all the poo poo NSMB2 got it's the fifth best selling 3DS game of all time, so. There's still an audience there.

There's still steam in 2D Mario. It's one of those cases where the prevailing attitude among fans differs highly from that of the public.
NSMB is a definite money spinner for Nintendo, they seem to have a policy that every console needs its own version of Mario Kart and NSMB.

The NSMBs have all been fine games, but surely it's time for something different. There was a time when every Mario was drastically different. I want something as weird as Mario Land 2 again.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Really haven't been this excited for a Mario game since the Galaxies. I think I got about halfway through 3D World before I lost interest; it felt like 3D Land with true multiplayer, which is cool but maybe underwhelming for me as far as a console Mario experience. My preference for the Galaxies over 3D World may come down to camera positioning. Because 3D World had to adapt for multiplayer, the camera has a wide field of view where you look down on maneuvering characters to the end of a closed-off game board. The Galaxies often kept you at Mario's eye level and occasionally looking up, so the experience felt more vast & open even if the platforming was just as linear as in 3D world.

My brother recently played through all the 3D Marios in anticipation for Odyssey, and he gushed about Mario's fast & lithe physics in Sunshine as compared to the Galaxies, where he was heavier & floatier, I guess to emphasize the gravitational physics of those games. So he's really happy that the dive is back, though I wonder how nimble Mario will feel this time.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

The thing though is that NSMB exists because it was a response to a niche that people were asking for and clearly still want a helluva lot. Yeah, maybe it exists because it's somewhat easier to produce, but I don't think you can say it's something that they've FLOODED stuff with so much as they wanted a big franchise represented on both their consoles for their respective lifespans. It's just that the Wii U died fast and the 3DS didn't. I mean, MK8 and MK7 aren't separated by that much time either.

I don't think there's anything wrong with going back to that well if it sells well enough, and there's something timeless about 2D Mario gameplay that I can pick it up and have fun with any installment. Your mileage may very of course. But I don't think that's keeping Nintendo from taking risks; look at Odyssey.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Jesus dude, we know they only made 4 of them, the fact that they wore out their welcome by the 3DS/WiiU installments says a lot about how bland these games are.

I have played them all and enjoyed them a lot, but those last two felt like level packs. You can only release the same game so many times.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

My biggest worry about Odyssey is how boring a lot of moons are. There's videos of people doing that Target demo and getting like 20 of them in less than 9 minutes before the demo cuts them off and that just sends up red flags for me. I want the locale based coins to be the collectable junk, not the big "important" items of the game.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Make the next 2D game Super Mario Generations. Put those Mario Maker assets to good use.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

My biggest worry about Odyssey is how boring a lot of moons are. There's videos of people doing that Target demo and getting like 20 of them in less than 9 minutes before the demo cuts them off and that just sends up red flags for me. I want the locale based coins to be the collectable junk, not the big "important" items of the game.

We know for sure there are Moons in the vein of Stars and Shine Sprites from previous games where they functioned more like level goals. I guess it depends on how many of them you need to advance to the next level, but the easier ones might make it easier for people not too good at platforming to progress at the game.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I like the idea of having purpose to jump around in a sandbox so I'm all for it

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

nerdbot posted:

2D Mario definitely has some legs in it still but it needs new visuals like desperately. I think NSMBU in particular gets a bad rap, but that aesthetic has run its course. I want them to do some new and creative things with 2D Mario. Mario Maker had some of that Mario Paint weirdness on top of everything and it contributed to NSMB feeling much less stale, they need to tap into that more.
Yeah, I'd really want a weird new 2D Mario again. They can even call it New Super Mario Bros. Switch or NSMB3, so that people will buy it, just use some other art style for gently caress's sake. It was so baffling to play DKCR and Tropical Freeze and then return to NSMB. Newer DKC games feel so alive and wonderful, where every level feels like an actual place. They even gave the frogs a reason to jump by drawing a flying pixel near them and never used flying platforms without explaining how they're flying. Everything in New Marios is just bricks and slopes in same 8 worlds over and over again (with, usually, same or similar music) for 4 games.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I think you should just forget Stars and Shines and think about them as some other item from a different collectathon. Isn't there like 80-90 of them per level? There are Grand Moons anyway, and while those are still Moons, I hear they (possible spoiler? I don't remember if it's been said by Ninty or was just floating around, so I'll be careful) change the level somewhat, so it's not just a number going up.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

nerdbot posted:

"We can zoom all the way to the moon of this great wide wacky world"

The song is just a breakdown of the game. There's no way we don't go to the moon. Ducktales music and everything.

Another realization I just had about this: The Broodals (the bride service team Bowser hired) are bunnies, which are culturally associated with the moon in Japan. We're so loving going to the moon and using our hat to possess Bowser to punch out the Bunny Mom who will reveal herself to be the real villain. That's my called shot.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

You end up possessing THE MOON and crash it against mushroom kingdom.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

And what do you do then

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Make a big pizza.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Regy Rusty posted:

And what do you do then

Head back up into the sky and give Link another three days. Hopefully he won't gently caress it up this time.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Jesus I can actually see this too

This would basically be a page out of the Kirby Planet Robobot book.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 19, 2017

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I could see it being some 'Bowser is GIANT now' thing where you need to somehow possess the entire moon to fight him. At this point gently caress it, why not?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Mario + Rabbids: Mario gets a gun.
Super Mario Odyssey: Mario gets a tank.

Mario + Rabbids: Bowser becomes a winged cyberdemon
Super Mario Odyssey: Bowser ????

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

sexpig by night posted:

yea I could see it being some 'Bowser is GIANT now' thing where you need to somehow possess the entire moon to fight him. At this point gently caress it, why not?

Wasn't he already gigantic in Super Mario Galaxy?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The phrase "wacky world" also suggests the cancelled CDi game, Super Mario's Wacky Worlds, which was to be a SMW-styled game using real-world settings.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The final Bowser fight better be a multi-phase epic where Bowser is possessing all sorts of stuff to attack you and you have to possess all sorts of stuff to fight back then finally Mario and Bowser throw hats at the same time and possess each other and now you're Bowser trying to fight Mario

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

They kind of did the whole "Bowser tries to beat Mario at his own game" in 3D World with him using the power ups, so I'm somewhat conflicted.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

TFRazorsaw posted:

They kind of did the whole "Bowser tries to beat Mario at his own game" in 3D World with him using the power ups, so I'm somewhat conflicted.

Cappy is not a power up, he's a skill

gently caress, when do you think Jump Up Super Star plays? Hopefully not only over the credits, it plays like during a boss fight or something

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Calaveron posted:

Cappy is not a power up, he's a skill

gently caress, when do you think Jump Up Super Star plays? Hopefully not only over the credits, it plays like during a boss fight or something

The recent direct showed the Pauline concert scene as a playable environment.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I just meant that in the sense that Bowser has done a boss fight where he emulates Mario before. The hat thing sounds super cool but part of me also wants to see Bowser with his own tricks.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Bowser revealing his hat can also capture things in the final boss fight is pretty much the logical conclusion

I'm extremely hoping for the "they somehow capture each other" outcome though

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Oh man, the final Bowser battle of 3D World was so good.

I am definitely getting Odyssey but it is my hope that 3D World gets a Switch port so more people can actually play it.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
They also gave Bowser a tail in 3D Land. I don't remember if it was used in the final battle, but that game's final boss was great, too. I don't mind them using that gimmick in more final fights as long as they feel different enough.

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That's a bit like what I thought was going to happen for a brief moment when I shot the moon in Portal 2.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
The final fight better be some serious twisted gay bowser sex.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

The final fight better be some serious twisted gay bowser sex.

It's a kids game, expect intense hand-holding and cheek-kissing at most.

But yeah, I hope Bowser kisses the hell out of Mario's cheek.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
:siren: https://nintendowire.com/news/2017/10/20/wedding-peach-amiibo-unlocks-bridal-dress-mario/

You can dress Mario in a nice pretty wedding gown, GOTY of the millennium confirmed

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Hedrigall posted:

:siren: https://nintendowire.com/news/2017/10/20/wedding-peach-amiibo-unlocks-bridal-dress-mario/

You can dress Mario in a nice pretty wedding gown, GOTY of the millennium confirmed

Cue a million frothy reaction videos on facebook from the conservative chud-o-shpere that get likes from racist fish holders.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Hedrigall posted:

holy poo poo. I was planning on buying all 3 Odyssey amiibos when I get the Switch, but now I just have to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
also good to see, the box confirms that you can get everything in game, but the amiibos are just easy unlocks. I will earn Mario his wedding dress, the honorable way.

• Locked thread